Will Can am Have something like the Pro R?

Stock hp is pretty impressive and that E85 tunes really wakes up the car. 

It would be interesting to run that thing on a Mustang or Dynojet dyno vs the hub dyno. 
Yeah.  Problem I see is offroad tires really hate dynos and there are lots of variables on inflation pressure, tread pattern, tire weight, etc, that would make tuning hard.  

Dynoing a street car on a 248c and Dynapack, I've "lost" 5-10%.

Last edited by a moderator:
JEHC on RDC mapped the suspension out:

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/speed-pre-order.133318/post-2185397

image.png

Interesting numbers.  Front bumpsteer appears minimal, and rear appears biased to toe in for stability. Rear track width reduces by 10" at full extension, front 8" (again, of little impact since a fully extended suspension has no load to do anything with), and less than an inch at full bump (where it matters) for both F/R.    The reverse camber curve on the front suspension is interesting, and I assumed it would be the major drawback to the lobster claw design.  The long UCA will make for positive camber gain on compression, though it's VERY slight (0.044*) rather than the typical negative gain you usually see with a shorter UCA.  This means that the front will progressively lose grip as it rolls onto the tread corner.

But, given the non-parallel control arms, this means this is the first UTV that doesn't have a wonky-ass (technical term) roll center:

CanAm-10-1024x835.png

Which means that the lack of camber gain isn't super consequential given the thing has barely any body roll (double duty for this picture). I am surprised that they were able to keep front bumpsteer to a minimum with ackerman steering given all of the new concepts above.  That's a lot of time spent in CAD there. 

There's so much to balance on a UTV as far as suspension design, there's no real "right" answer.  This is why I hate it when someone critiques a particular suspension design as "wrong".  

Huh.  

But, apparently there's a Maverick R and Maverick Max filed for 2025 with CARB.

Sean at Weddle took apart the DCT transmission.  Said Can Am has some high end badass stuff in there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
JEHC on RDC mapped the suspension out:

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/speed-pre-order.133318/post-2185397

View attachment 110360

Interesting numbers.  Front bumpsteer appears minimal, and rear appears biased to toe in for stability. Rear track width reduces by 10" at full extension, front 8" (again, of little impact since a fully extended suspension has no load to do anything with), and less than an inch at full bump (where it matters) for both F/R.    The reverse camber curve on the front suspension is interesting, and I assumed it would be the major drawback to the lobster claw design.  The long UCA will make for positive camber gain on compression, though it's VERY slight (0.044*) rather than the typical negative gain you usually see with a shorter UCA.  This means that the front will progressively lose grip as it rolls onto the tread corner.

But, given the non-parallel control arms, this means this is the first UTV that doesn't have a wonky-ass (technical term) roll center:

Which means that the lack of camber gain isn't super consequential given the thing has barely any body roll (double duty for this picture). I am surprised that they were able to keep front bumpsteer to a minimum with ackerman steering given all of the new concepts above.  That's a lot of time spent in CAD there. 

There's so much to balance on a UTV as far as suspension design, there's no real "right" answer.  This is why I hate it when someone critiques a particular suspension design as "wrong".  
An explanation I can understand.  LOL!

I need to figure out a way to have my words get posted to all of the forums with one click. I am sure there is a way, but I'm a nuts and bolts guy. 

Yes. It's a very nice gearbox.

Yes, people are going to be mad when it comes time to change a rear R&P. Hopefully Can-Am allows people like me to buy R&P sets for these. Otherwise we will add a new part to our lineup. 

Back