Transporting your SxS to the Trailhead?

Following your logic, then the 2 RV drivers are deliberately trashing their toads because they just don't care.

The more I think about not towing backwards because the wheels need to turn, the more it doesn't make any sense.

When you drive a car around a turn, you turn the steering wheel left, the front wheels turn left and you make the turn. Do the rear wheels also turn left? Or do they just follow and track around the turn without having to be steered? The rear wheels stay straight and the outside wheel just rotates a little faster than the inside wheel. 

If you're towing a car backwards, the front tires don't need to steer, they just follow the car and the outside wheel just turns a little faster through the turn. Just like they do when everybody is driving normally and the rear tires just track behind the front.

Blindly trusting stuff you read on the internet isn't always a good idea, because whoever wrote that might not have any idea what he's talking about, or is making a generalization and isn't talking specifically about what you're trying to do.

I wouldn't do it for thousands of miles, but if I was just going a few miles to a trailhead, I don't see a problem with it as long as the steering wheel is tied to something.
Not my logic, I'm not the expert and never said I was. It was something I found when I quickly Googled it. e-trailer I would assume has decent experience in the field but hey to each their own. I thought I would contribute and put in my 2 cents but debating with a real expert like yourself is not something I care for. Glad to see that finding pics on the internet is super reliable for you. I read "steering linkage can snap" and they're talking about  a car. I wonder how much smaller steering linkage is on a UTV. Maybe not smaller or maybe even much thicker and can take those sharp turns like a beast being towed backwards. Not my department but throwing it out there. 

Reactions: FOG
For the record, there isnt a trail i can think if where i'd want to invest and put this much effort into.  There's too many places in the US you can ride directly from camp...Tahoe as mentioned at the start of this thread..But, Mammoth is awesome and pretty mich the same terrain, and honestly, if i was in Tahoe - a side by side would not be something I'd want...too many awesome walking trails, lakes streams, etc.  I'd leave it at home if camping in Tahoe in other words.

So curious - all the people trying to solution this, where would this actually make sense to put forth the time, effort, and $?
You make a good point. However, last summer I had three occasions where I couldn’t ride where I camped. 
One was the Rubicon as I mentioned earlier, another in the Oregon dunes and then an opportunity on private property. 
If you choose to walk instead of riding, great.
I choose to ride where I can because I can. 

3 hours ago, Big_Daddy_Jp said:

This would have worked fine for my situation in the Oregon dunes but not for the Rubicon trail. 
Thanks for the idea. 

How much room do you have inside your trailer? Standard toyhauler or a garage model?

FOG there is a guy in Riverside just posted on FB a truck above bed rack for sxs for 250 bucks

281320680_5360681733982628_4024484695319136156_n.jpg
280378200_5360681723982629_888764694595759957_n.jpg
280156174_5360681730649295_3400865017492005014_n.jpg
280681742_5360681727315962_7889744468841252811_n.jpg
280698745_5360681717315963_1940587491291400403_n.jpg
280525690_5360681710649297_4937041818496073360_n.jpg
280825309_5360681720649296_978592973499403052_n.jpg
280323906_5360681713982630_6133421611307907682_n.jpg

Sits in side bed with Gate on has Four Chains 1 on each corner , I also bolted it down . Not Using Priced to Move FAST NO ramps . Fits 2 seat RZR 74" wide 20" height from bed to Deck of Rack

This is the Facebook ad that Sandtrap was talking about. No contact info other than facebook messenger.

Last edited by a moderator:
14 hours ago, Big_Daddy_Jp said:

Don Pascales built something like this but better for on the road.  He had it for sale before the crash. He didn't come back after the reboot, maybe someone has his contact info and if he still has it or if he has some pictures. 

• Thanks
How much room do you have inside your trailer? Standard toyhauler or a garage model?
It’s a garage model at 12’ long. 
I have a tool chest, a set of SxS tires, mountain bike, and other stuff I carry back there so not much room left. 

Here's a pic of a tow truck driver towing a car backwards. I'm just assuming he knows what he's doing. I've seen a lot more pics like this.

Here are a couple of RVs towing their car backwards. I'm not going to assume they are experts, but apparently they're doing it and haven't wrecked anything yet.

Those (hopefully) all have a chingadera to lock the steering wheel. Seatbelt, metal clamp, something. 

The car dolly would probably work except where do I put the car dolly when I’m not using it?
Not legal unless the SxS is street registered would be the bigger problem. 

FOG there is a guy in Riverside just posted on FB a truck above bed rack for sxs for 250 bucks

Sits in side bed with Gate on has Four Chains 1 on each corner , I also bolted it down . Not Using Priced to Move FAST NO ramps . Fits 2 seat RZR 74" wide 20" height from bed to Deck of Rack

This is the Facebook ad that Sandtrap was talking about. No contact info other than facebook messenger.
Thanks but I have to keep the truck bed open enough so that the 5th wheel hitch can rotate. 

@FOG skip in about a minute or so.  I think you could do something like this that might even break down further.

1 hour ago, MWB said:

@FOG skip in about a minute or so.  I think you could do something like this that might even break down further.

Thanks. I saw this when I first started doing my research a few months ago and I do like this design. But there’s no way I’m going to get that into my truck bed or toy hauler. 
In my research another company, aaoffroad.com, makes a “T” trailer similar to the ones we used in the old days for our buggies. It breaks down into smaller parts that I could store. My son thinks that I should just buy it!  If I decide to go the trailer route, it’s my first choice so far.

But I’m old and stubborn so I’m looking at other options.  And I’m getting some good input from all of you GD peeps. 
Thanks!

Thanks. I saw this when I first started doing my research a few months ago and I do like this design. But there’s no way I’m going to get that into my truck bed or toy hauler. 
In my research another company, aaoffroad.com, makes a “T” trailer similar to the ones we used in the old days for our buggies. It breaks down into smaller parts that I could store. My son thinks that I should just buy it!  If I decide to go the trailer route, it’s my first choice so far.

But I’m old and stubborn so I’m looking at other options.  And I’m getting some good input from all of you GD peeps. 
Thanks!
This is going to be for the 10-15 miles from camp to trailhead, not the 4 hours across a hot desert highway. So you can use smaller tires then they did. You also don't need an axel just the snouts welded into place. Also be making the rear section of this type of a trailer be modular so the removal a a couple of pins or nut/ bolts you could split that section into two pieces or at the least slide very close together. To a point where it could roll up right behind your talon.  Or if you split it in two and removed the tires I bet it would fit in the bed of the truck around your fifth wheel hitch.  You could even make it so the trailer when not being used as a SxS trailer your 5th wheel hitch could sit on it and be wheeled around.

Some tube steel a few "platforms" some quick releases and you will have this

Thanks for the info on both the trailer and truck rack solutions. I have been weighing the pros and cons for both.
I feel the truck rack is going to work best for me. 
I appreciate all of the input from everyone that contributed. 

I was able to get some remnant lumber to build over 90% of the truck rack. Of course I had to adjust my plans a bit to use the remnants, but much better priced than new stock. 
Starting to cut and tack some stuff together. 
2E7791DA-CF93-45B0-9FAD-8492BF3203CF.jpeg

I usually just drive mine from camp to the trails... It's pretty easy. :70:

I usually just drive mine from camp to the trails... It's pretty easy. :70:
That will work for some of the trails some of the time.
But not for all of the trails all of the time. 

37C0FF75-ECA4-4797-B743-6DE6D63FEF29.jpeg

Back