Transporting your SxS to the Trailhead?

The first time you have to load your SxS up on top of a rack that sits over your truck your going to regret not using that steel to make a simple T trailer. The first time you climb down your going to wonder where the Sawzall is .

There was a video of a trailer that some guy's built it made it so  with a few receiver type of connections the trailer could be assembled and was adjustable to the size of the SxS being carried.  If I remember it was an old man putting the thing together on the video.  

I'd size the tire pads so you didn't need ramps longer than the bed.  The rear pad gives you lots of leeway there since it can be 2' or more before it interferes with the hitch.  Front pad has to be a bit conservative since the cap might contact on tight turns.
This a drawing of my first plan. I abandoned it because I felt that the diagonals needed vertical support and then the 5vr wouldn’t clear when making turns. 
When you mentioned pre-made ramps a light bulb went off and now I’m liking my first plan better. 

90F4F92B-7956-48F9-B9BA-6B0E24B73E16.jpeg

Ok so I have a question. Can you tow the SXS like a Jeep if you put it in neutral? If so, than you could just make a tow hitch for the front of the SXS.

Reactions: FOG
There's a few companies out there that make them...when I had a dually an 5th wheel i thought about doing this, but never pulled the trigger.
FABITUP | Washington UTV Cage & Rack Fabricator

over-cab-2.jpeg

Ok so I have a question. Can you tow the SXS like a Jeep if you put it in neutral? If so, than you could just make a tow hitch for the front of the SXS.
I looked into flat towing it and it should only be done in an emergency at the slowest speed possible. 
The rear differential is a locker. 

How about towing it backwards on a tow dolly?

I'm really not a big fan of driving a truck around with a SxS on the roof. That's in addition to the risks and hassles involved in driving it up there and getting it down.

There's a few companies out there that make them...when I had a dually an 5th wheel i thought about doing this, but never pulled the trigger.
FABITUP | Washington UTV Cage & Rack Fabricator

The things that instantly jump out at me are

Backing that thing up there must be almost as much fun as climbing down so I don't fall and break something I plan on using in the future. Like a arm or leg.

Next thing is that front sway bar on the truck must take one hell of a load around any corner high or low speed.

My buddy has a car hauler. We loaded my sons xp1000 on the top, my Jeep Grand Cherokee next, and his sons RS1 on the back. Driving the RZR to the top and back down wasn’t that big of a deal. The crappy part is finding a place to stand when getting out and finding a place to stand when strapping it down. Those two things were a little sketchy. 

The things that instantly jump out at me are

Backing that thing up there must be almost as much fun as climbing down so I don't fall and break something I plan on using in the future. Like a arm or leg.

Next thing is that front sway bar on the truck must take one hell of a load around any corner high or low speed.
Ya true - i guess if you're uncoordinated and can't drive in a straight line this would be tough. :D-  Cab over campers prob put more stress on a sway bar and don't tie directly into the front frame like these appear to do.  I do more insane things when i drive in the dunes that this setup would ever do.  

I'm really not a big fan of driving a truck around with a SxS on the roof. That's in addition to the risks and hassles involved in driving it up there and getting it down.
If any tires directly touch the pavement, must be street registered. 

Cool thread. 

I took this screen shot for a buddy who asked to use my Tow Dolly the wrong way. 

Screenshot_20220417-192456_Google.jpg

Cool thread. 

I took this screen shot for a buddy who asked to use my Tow Dolly the wrong way. 

View attachment 32129
Here's a pic of a tow truck driver towing a car backwards. I'm just assuming he knows what he's doing. I've seen a lot more pics like this.

Backwards.jpg

stock-photo-white-transport-van-repair-towing-tow-backwards-broke-down-tow-truck-e45ee4a5-d53e-4bc9-b8c9-e2654183623f.jpg

Here are a couple of RVs towing their car backwards. I'm not going to assume they are experts, but apparently they're doing it and haven't wrecked anything yet.

nsC5sl5l.jpg

attachment.php

Here's a pic of a tow truck driver towing a car backwards. I'm just assuming he knows what he's doing. I've seen a lot more pics like this.

Here are a couple of RVs towing their car backwards. I'm not going to assume they are experts, but apparently they're doing it and haven't wrecked anything yet.

Oh, I get it. I was just looking out for his "race car". Wether he did or not wasn't my concern. Many tow trucks tow that way, but also many tow trucks don't really care for the car. I've seen them crab walk towing down the highway. Sketchy.

Following your logic, then the 2 RV drivers are deliberately trashing their toads because they just don't care.

The more I think about not towing backwards because the wheels need to turn, the more it doesn't make any sense.

When you drive a car around a turn, you turn the steering wheel left, the front wheels turn left and you make the turn. Do the rear wheels also turn left? Or do they just follow and track around the turn without having to be steered? The rear wheels stay straight and the outside wheel just rotates a little faster than the inside wheel. 

If you're towing a car backwards, the front tires don't need to steer, they just follow the car and the outside wheel just turns a little faster through the turn. Just like they do when everybody is driving normally and the rear tires just track behind the front.

Blindly trusting stuff you read on the internet isn't always a good idea, because whoever wrote that might not have any idea what he's talking about, or is making a generalization and isn't talking specifically about what you're trying to do.

I wouldn't do it for thousands of miles, but if I was just going a few miles to a trailhead, I don't see a problem with it as long as the steering wheel is tied to something.

Following your logic, then the 2 RV drivers are deliberately trashing their toads because they just don't care.

The more I think about not towing backwards because the wheels need to turn, the more it doesn't make any sense.

When you drive a car around a turn, you turn the steering wheel left, the front wheels turn left and you make the turn. Do the rear wheels also turn left? Or do they just follow and track around the turn without having to be steered? The rear wheels stay straight and the outside wheel just rotates a little faster than the inside wheel. 

If you're towing a car backwards, the front tires don't need to steer, they just follow the car and the outside wheel just turns a little faster through the turn. Just like they do when everybody is driving normally and the rear tires just track behind the front.

Blindly trusting stuff you read on the internet isn't always a good idea, because whoever wrote that might not have any idea what he's talking about, or is making a generalization and isn't talking specifically about what you're trying to do.

I wouldn't do it for thousands of miles, but if I was just going a few miles to a trailhead, I don't see a problem with it as long as the steering wheel is tied to something.
The car dolly would probably work except where do I put the car dolly when I’m not using it?

The car dolly would probably work except where do I put the car dolly when I’m not using it?
You might be able to make one you could disassemble into 2 parts and fit it behind or under the SxS. Or a T trailer you could break down into a couple of pieces.

For the record, there isnt a trail i can think if where i'd want to invest and put this much effort into.  There's too many places in the US you can ride directly from camp...Tahoe as mentioned at the start of this thread..But, Mammoth is awesome and pretty mich the same terrain, and honestly, if i was in Tahoe - a side by side would not be something I'd want...too many awesome walking trails, lakes streams, etc.  I'd leave it at home if camping in Tahoe in other words.

So curious - all the people trying to solution this, where would this actually make sense to put forth the time, effort, and $?

For the record, there isnt a trail i can think if where i'd want to invest and put this much effort into.  There's too many places in the US you can ride directly from camp...Tahoe as mentioned at the start of this thread..But, Mammoth is awesome and pretty mich the same terrain, and honestly, if i was in Tahoe - a side by side would not be something I'd want...too many awesome walking trails, lakes streams, etc.  I'd leave it at home if camping in Tahoe in other words.

So curious - all the people trying to solution this, where would this actually make sense to put forth the time, effort, and $?
It may not be something you or I need but it’s obvious it’s important to Fog.

Back