Trailer tires

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are stuck to a 15'' rim size, a smaller wheel is the Commercial van tires, you will have to go to a larger rim, but i run a 16'' rim or low profile tire with a 17'' Atturo commercial van 

holds same or more than a trailer, and speed rated to 110 MPH, so 70-80 mph will not have any issues 

Tires - Atturo

so, this got me to thinking.......

lets say I buy the Suntek that @FENDERFAB just suggested, but my wheels are from 1994 (which they are), but these new tires are G-Rated that suggest to run @ 110 or 120 Lbs. 

Knowing that my trailer is 8500 Lbs loaded, that is only 2200 Lbs/tire & the tire is rated @ 3200 Lbs @ 120 Lbs of air pressure...........  can I run them @ say 80 or 90 Lbs?
i get exactly what youre saying.  i honestly just had them mounted and inflated to the sidewall specs and havent had an issue. 

I guess what my real question is, is there a reason NOT to run the tires @ the Max pressure listed on the tire?  I never have.  but....... I know that my trailer is not @ the max load for each one of the tires.  I run them @ 70 Lbs & it says 80 Lbs @ Max Load. 

last time I was in Glamis, as I was headed down Wash Road, I noticed the right rear was @ 50Lbs (I picked up a nail).  the TPMS was pissed & yelling @ me so I silenced it (Like Ahkmed the dead terrorist). 

I watched it as I got to the trash to dump the trash, & it went up the same amount as the rest of them. 

I watched it as I went down the 78 to the 111, & it did the same thing the rest of them did based on speed & sun.

I watched it as I went down the 111 to the 8, & it did the same thing the rest of them did based on speed & sun.

I watched it as I went down the 8 to the Mountain, & it did the same thing the rest of them did based on speed & sun.

I was going to swap it out, but by the time I got to the bottom of the mountain laziness took over & I said screw it.  LOL. 

& I guess I need to get a hobby if monitoring Tire Pressure, Truck MPG & CV Joint temp is the extent of my "fun".  LOL

Imo the only benefit to inflating to a lower pressure than the max on the sidewall would be a smoother ride or better traction/flotation. I think the benefits of fully inflating far outweigh the benefits of underinflating in most circumstances. The biggest benefits of fully inflating being better economy, less tread wear/longevity and running cooler. This being the case especially on trailer tires when you consider the difficulty of accurately estimating the load

Use g rated and the problem goes away.  I have tried everything else and to many blowouts in the worst places! 

Yes there is a negative...your tire patch, on the ground, may be distorted.  AND, or course your suspension won't like it.

If you look on the web, you'll see worn tires, w/an example of worn in the center (Too much PSI), and worn on the edges (not enough PSI).  Your tread and sidewalls are supposed to flex according to the load.

Here is the scrub...if you are too low, bad things can happen.  If your are too high, your ride will be off, but I can't think of any other negatives.

BTW, 80 PSI is a shi@load of pressure.  If your tires need more than that....

Back