Trailer tires

How was the side wall cracking on your XPS tires.  I am running the same and did on my last trailer. Im due for a new set of 6. Age not miles as usual. I have some decent cracking going on. Trailer tows to G in October then tows back to OC in April. Only real miles they get.
I had some very minor cracking near the rim area but nothing I wouldn't expect after 5 years.  They were still holding air and regardless of mileage, I never go more than 5 years.  And I just bought 6 of them as well.  Discount tried to talk me into their "G" rated, 14 ply brand but I noticed the speed rating was slower (not a big deal) but I went with what's worked over time.  I have so much riding on those tires it's really the last place I'd ever skimp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago, we had 2 blowouts on my dads Class A gas.  At that time, he was doing a lot of work with Falken tires.  He spoke to one of their tire engineers, and they told him that they consider a 5 year old tire junk. 

We have always stayed to the 5 year max rule, and have rarely had a problem.  The advice of others above at 5 years is spot on!

If you like Sailun but want to save a little money, check out TransEagle. They are a rebranded Sailun. I have them on my toyhauler. 

I won't run a ST tire on my hauler.

Only LT tires.

Take you pick on brand, IMO.

I have run the Ribs since 2004.

I had 1 blowout in all that time, I'm sure due to cracking.  They were 5 years old and I knew I was pushing my luck.

Micheline has a great pro rate % for ozone cracking.

I put on 6 last year and it only cost me $700 OTD at Discount.

Michelin covered 65% of the cost, based on tread depth.

Google the Sailun, it is a amazing tire I dont think i have ever seen a bad review on them 

G load range is the only ones I would put on trailers anymore.   Have not had any issues with any G load range on the trailers yet. knock on wood. 

I put 6 Maxxis M8008 ST235/80R16 with a Load Range E on a 40 foot toy hauler  I bought earlier this year. 
The PO had the same tires; two with date codes of 2012 and the rest were a little newer. I have also used the same brand on other trailers with no issues. 
BTW I also run Maxxis tires on my mountain bike. 

I have G also for some, you need to make sure your Rim is rated for G,  mine is 110-PSI 

GY Marathons are the worst.  If I remember right, their speed rating is right around 60mph.

Run the cheapest tire you can find and replace them before they turn 5 years old. You will save money in the long run and always have peace of mind. 

Run the cheapest tire you can find and replace them before they turn 5 years old. You will save money in the long run and always have peace of mind. 
That was a $1000 dollar day for me, WW brand new tire 60 miles after mounted, Blew the Fiberglass fender well, and the inner finder and the trailer swerved over just enough to hit a side road marker taking out one of the awing legs 

That was a $1000 dollar day for me, WW brand new tire 60 miles after mounted, Blew the Fiberglass fender well, and the inner finder and the trailer swerved over just enough to hit a side road marker taking out one of the awing legs 
That really sucks! Do you think it was a load range issue or a tire quality/brand issue?

After having had many other “Best Tires” I am now running 16” Sailun’s. 1.5 years so far and very very happy with them. As soon as you see them you can tell a big difference.

After having had many other “Best Tires” I am now running 16” Sailun’s. 1.5 years so far and very very happy with them. As soon as you see them you can tell a big difference.
mine are 6 years old and i drive on the highway with a 21,000lbs trailer at 80 mph and have been great, I feel it is pretty much the best tire you can get in a 16''

A little feedback on my most recent set of tires.  On 22nov19, I went with the Goodyear endurance, which was supposed to be their best tire.  There were lots of good reviews of it.

In late October, 2021 I adjusted the brakes on trailer and found a bubble on the inside of one of the tires so I swapped the spare in.  I've never had issues with trailer tires so I did not get the replacement warranty from discount, so i had to buy a new tire.  

On the last trip to glamis I picked up a nail so I swapped the new tire into that one and took it to discount.   They guy said "it's good you brought it in because this one is de-laminating".  Well..... this is a bit concerning because in 24 months (<2500 miles) 40% of these tires are de-laminating).  

On my 6th year of my Michelin XPS Ribs. they are are looking brand new (i know looks means nothing)

I was never able to get more than 2-3 years on other brands without full on failures on the highway. 

Ill probably shop XPS ribs vs M8008 when i get around to changing them in 2022.

I won't run a ST tire on my hauler.

Only LT tires.

Take you pick on brand, IMO.

I have run the Ribs since 2004.

I had 1 blowout in all that time, I'm sure due to cracking.  They were 5 years old and I knew I was pushing my luck.

Micheline has a great pro rate % for ozone cracking.

I put on 6 last year and it only cost me $700 OTD at Discount.

Michelin covered 65% of the cost, based on tread depth.
ST tires are crap in a 10 ply or less but there are 12 and 14 ply rated ST tires available. Most semi truck tires are 14 ply rated. I say "rated" because they're not actually that many plies. It's just a rating system that they use.

A little feedback on my most recent set of tires.  On 22nov19, I went with the Goodyear endurance, which was supposed to be their best tire.  There were lots of good reviews of it.

In late October, 2021 I adjusted the brakes on trailer and found a bubble on the inside of one of the tires so I swapped the spare in.  I've never had issues with trailer tires so I did not get the replacement warranty from discount, so i had to buy a new tire.  

On the last trip to glamis I picked up a nail so I swapped the new tire into that one and took it to discount.   They guy said "it's good you brought it in because this one is de-laminating".  Well..... this is a bit concerning because in 24 months (<2500 miles) 40% of these tires are de-laminating).  
Sailun 637 

Mine are 7 years old,  

going to replace them at the end of this year, but no blowouts, no Cracking 

Sailun 637 is by far the best trailer tire made,  

It does not look like they make a 15" Sailun..... 

The trailer is a 1994 & I was kind of hoping to get another 2 or 3 years out of it then figure something out....  I REALLY dont want to have to dump money into this stupid thing, given I only use it 4 to 5 trips a year.... 

Also does not look like Micheline does not make an XPS in a 15"...

All 15" tires suck. You can buy 16"  wheels in just about any bolt pattern. The last set of 6 hole steelies I bought were from etrailer for like $65 each

Last edited by a moderator:
Back