Trailer tires

I won't run a ST tire on my hauler.

Only LT tires.

Take you pick on brand, IMO.

I have run the Ribs since 2004.

I had 1 blowout in all that time, I'm sure due to cracking.  They were 5 years old and I knew I was pushing my luck.

Micheline has a great pro rate % for ozone cracking.

I put on 6 last year and it only cost me $700 OTD at Discount.

Michelin covered 65% of the cost, based on tread depth.
Interested on this and how that worked out?

I bought four 16" Sailun 637 tires last February online from Simple Tire for my enclosed trailer. Then a couple of weeks ago I got an email from Simple Tire stating that some of them had a design defect and were subject to recall:

Tire Information : Tire Brand  1 :Sailun Tire Line :Multiple Tire Size :ST235/80R16, ST235/85R16 Descriptive Information :Recall population was based on DOT date range. Defective tires are identified by the DOT date range. The total recall population is 84,351 which consists of various brands including Sailun, RoadX, Blacklion, Blackhawk and Ironhead.Production Dates : MAY 11, 2020 - OCT 11, 2020TIN (Tire Identification Number) Plant ID Size code Optional Code Begin M Code     End M Code 1YJ 27 6PLY 2020 4120 1YJ 27 16LY 2020 4020 1YJ 27 16LY 2220 4120 1YJ 27 1DLY 2020 4120 1YJ 27 16LY 2920 4120 1YJ 21 16LY 2020 3820 1YJ 21 16LY 2220 4120 1YJ 21 1DLY 2020 4020 1YJ 21 6PLY 2020 4120 1YJ 21 16LY 2920 4120
Description of Defect : Description of the Defect : The defect is associated with a steel belt package design change that could contribute 

Here is the link to the full PDF:

https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/hubfs/2624449/Sailun_Tire_NHTSA_Recall.pdf?utm_campaign=Recall_12.17.21_Sailun&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=196757936&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-99A5uuwroQCMYTG5NlwvT3fEII6B2V_EbVjO0mlhVRmyRPp9L6PAo-kEu3aZQ9Qn9cHoxbwmK39uWhg78L0eHDk27PJw&utm_content=196757936&utm_source=hs_email

It turns out that two of them were made in the last week of the "bad" group in the top line of the recall notice (the other two are three weeks newer so OK). I called the number it said to call and a guy told me that they would be replaced and also cover mounting and balancing. So far I have received the royal runaround when trying to get this done. There is a dealer in Tucson that thought he could help me but when he went to the National Tire warehouse (who supposedly have 150 new ones), after three days they finally told him to tell me to pound sand because I bought them online. I sent an email Friday to Simple Tire and told them to give the name and address of the dealer in Tucson who will replace them on Monday, so we'll see how that goes.

I thought I would put this out there in case anyone else had these tires but didn't get the same email about the recall.

Discount tire sells  Hartland ST Radial all steel.  Load range G / 110 psi tire $210/tire 

They have been great on all of my work trailers, my guys abuse tires and these have been great. 

I used to buy those 14 plies in a 225/90R16 or a 7.50-16 for $76 each 3 years ago but now it's hard to find any 14 ply for less than $150. 

Interested on this and how that worked out?
Just did tires again before New Years.

Only 2 years on these tires and they started cracking.

I wonder if Michelin changed their formula? 

Michelin covered at 90% of the cost.  

New tires cost me $35 per tire.

Now, all of the certs/fees/mount/balance etc.  LOL.  That added up to $300.

FWIW, I have always put Michelin tires on my wifes and kids cars & have noticed that they always seemed to get a bunch of little hairline cracks on the sidewalls.  I freaked the first few years.  I dont wash her car that often any more so I have not really looked to see if it still does it.

FWIW, I have always put Michelin tires on my wifes and kids cars & have noticed that they always seemed to get a bunch of little hairline cracks on the sidewalls.  I freaked the first few years.  I dont wash her car that often any more so I have not really looked to see if it still does it.
Michelins are over rated IMO. That's not to say they aren't good tires but the cracking is a common complaint and it's not just the sidewalls. They get lots of tiny cracks in the tread too. I think it's the harder compounds they use that makes the tread last longer but dries out and cracks faster

Last edited by a moderator:
I agreed about the cracks, but I have never had a single issue with a de-lamination or any other kind of strange failure (which is why I go back to them for car tires).

If I had to pay full price to start over, I wouldn't choose Michelin's.  

Too many other brands out there that are better from what I have seen on other buddies trailers.

STs: highest load range in your size you can get and replace every 3 years.  Brand, model, covered or not, doesn't seem to matter.  Just replace them when the date code says they're 3 years old. :biggrin:

I also upgraded my flatbeds to 225-75R15s in load range E from the 205 Ds that were on them.  Less problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
so, this got me to thinking.......

lets say I buy the Suntek that @FENDERFAB just suggested, but my wheels are from 1994 (which they are), but these new tires are G-Rated that suggest to run @ 110 or 120 Lbs. 

Knowing that my trailer is 8500 Lbs loaded, that is only 2200 Lbs/tire & the tire is rated @ 3200 Lbs @ 120 Lbs of air pressure...........  can I run them @ say 80 or 90 Lbs?

STs: highest load range in your size you can get and replace every 3 years.  Brand, model, covered or not, doesn't seem to matter.  Just replace them when the date code says they're 3 years old. :biggrin:

I also upgraded my flatbeds to 225-75R15s in load range E from the 205 Ds that were on them.  Less problems.
I'm upgrading my tires on my trailer this year so this thread is great for information.  I've got the ST 205/75R15's that came with it.  Anyway to know if the 225 will fit without mounting and trying?  

I would guess you could look at the tire dimensions and take some measurements.   

My spare is exactly the same as the 4 mounted up.  With a trailer aide ramp it literally only takes 8 to 10 minutes to swap tires....  someone in your group has the tire you want to use.....  give it a trial fit.  

I'm upgrading my tires on my trailer this year so this thread is great for information.  I've got the ST 205/75R15's that came with it.  Anyway to know if the 225 will fit without mounting and trying?  
They’re a little over an inch larger in diameter, so you’d only need 5/8” of extra space above and beside the tires and an inch between.  Chances are pretty good they’ll fit. 

Actually tires have a shelf life of 3 years from the "DOT/date code" branded on them. Depending on how fast a warehouse and then the tire shop/dealer's stock sees rotation you could potentially purchase a tire that's a year or two old. If inventory and restocking is managed well then most tires will hit the pavement in less than a year.

so, this got me to thinking.......

lets say I buy the Suntek that @FENDERFAB just suggested, but my wheels are from 1994 (which they are), but these new tires are G-Rated that suggest to run @ 110 or 120 Lbs. 

Knowing that my trailer is 8500 Lbs loaded, that is only 2200 Lbs/tire & the tire is rated @ 3200 Lbs @ 120 Lbs of air pressure...........  can I run them @ say 80 or 90 Lbs?
No. Don't underinflate your tires. Underinflated tires generate more heat which causes a snowball effect and ultimately tire failure

No. Don't underinflate your tires. Underinflated tires generate more heat which causes a snowball effect and ultimately tire failure

I'm a huge ass data nerd.  I'm working on a small project with my new tpms which is proving that on my setup, it does not give a sheet.  In fact. pv=nrt, does not seem to apply to the physics of trailer tires.  LOL  

I'm a huge ass data nerd.  I'm working on a small project with my new tpms which is proving that on my setup, it does not give a sheet.  In fact. pv=nrt, does not seem to apply to the physics of trailer tires.  LOL  
I think you're right tho. 80-90psi in your situation vs 120psi probably isn't going to make much of a difference. The differential is less at those pressures. Take a tire with a max inflation of 50psi and deflate by 30-40psi and you're almost flat. So your theory of running 80-90 is probably pretty good unless you were maxing out on the load you were carrying. I abuse and overload pretty regular so I like to run max pressure all the time.

Back