Trailer tires

Dylanshaffer

Reaction score
Had a couple blowouts on the toy hauler this weekend so I’m going to get all new tires. Mine are about 5 years old and looking pretty rough. What tires are you guys running that seem to be holding up well? 

I have been running the 10ply E rated Hercules Power STR. No real complaints. Price is good at $107 per tire OTD installed. I might upgrade to the 14ply G rated Hercules H 901. Good luck on your quest. 

JMHO, but the goodyears seem to be the best tire.  but............ if politics is an issue for you, you will have to look elsewhere. 

I have had Carlisles a number of times & got great life out of them (I dont do much mileage, but time is my enemy).

if you are running a 16'' rim, there are really two outstanding options, 

First is for a Toyhauler,  the Sailun is a outstanding tire, mine now are 6 years old never a blowout, no cracking and tread is like new,   we also use there Semi Truck tires, great company, I live in Las Vegas so they see Hi Heat, and run typically on the freeway 75-85 Miles a hour 

Buy Sailun S637 (Trailer) ST235/85R16 Tires | SimpleTire

Second is my Buggy trailer and box trailer,  

I use Autturo Comercial tire made for Amazon Vans,  they are rated to 110-MPH so doing 80-90 is no issues, they have the same load rating as a trailer tire 

Trail Blade A/T - Atturo

Michelin makes a commercial van tire also, super pricy 

Michelin XPS Rib | LT235/85R16 (tirerack.com)

Sailun is good or g rated hercules. We have over 10 trailers, dump, flatbed, carhaulers and encloseds in the fleet.  Carlisle has seemed to slip a bit more n quality lately.

I always used nothing but Goodyear Marathons on my enclosed and boat trailers. Once they started making them in China, I had a couple of separations. then I switched to Hercules Power STR. I had one separate on a boat trailer, then had two separate on the enclosed. Tire shop replaced them under warranty. After 3 trips to Glamis, 3 of the new ones started to separate. I just had Goodyear Endurance tires installed. we'll see how they do.

I am and always have been a Michelin XPS Rib guy.  Just put a new set on the toy hauler, have never had a blowout, separation or other failure in 11 years of running them.  They're expensive (like nothing else in this hobby is...), but I feel I have enough going on when I'm loaded and towing that I don't need to worry about tires making the trip.  The ones I replaced were 5 years old - that's as long as I go regardless of tread depth.

It seems to me that just leaving the trailer sit for extended periods is tougher on trailer tires than putting some miles on them. 

Thanks for all the good info! Knew I’d get some good input on here. I definitely agree letting the trailers sit is the worst thing for the tires. I just looked at a product called trailer legs that seems kind of interesting. It’s basically a couple of jack stands that you put in front of the axle and pull onto, they lift  all the tires off the ground when you store the trailer. 

I am and always have been a Michelin XPS Rib guy.  Just put a new set on the toy hauler, have never had a blowout, separation or other failure in 11 years of running them.  They're expensive (like nothing else in this hobby is...), but I feel I have enough going on when I'm loaded and towing that I don't need to worry about tires making the trip.  The ones I replaced were 5 years old - that's as long as I go regardless of tread depth.
How was the side wall cracking on your XPS tires.  I am running the same and did on my last trailer. Im due for a new set of 6. Age not miles as usual. I have some decent cracking going on. Trailer tows to G in October then tows back to OC in April. Only real miles they get.

I put the Goodyear Endurance Tires on our horse trailer. It was just towed from Oregon to Florida with no issues whatsoever. 

After going through 2 different brands of tires and 4 total blow outs in 4 years, Trailer tires disappoint me.   I have never in all my years worn one out, they always fail way before that. The one thing I have learned is that even the "name brand"  tires fail. I do think keeping a weight and sun off makes a difference. I know that when I stored with the car in the trailer I got more blowouts even keeping the tires covered.  I went to USA made Goodyear Endurance tires and never had another problem.. then the problem happened on the Class C MoHo with  Bridgestones twice in one season - the last time it ripped the fender well out  I even put in TPMS to make sure I did not have too little or too  much pressure.  I had the dealer send the tires in for Eval, Bridgestone said they were overloaded., and its true Class C's are too heavy for the tires  I moved to the XPS tires and sold the coach after two years with no more issues. I think Trailer tires will fail from sun related storage and  keeping weight on them for long periods of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Hercules tires on my Super C. They are a little over 5 years old and I’ve put about 15k on them. So far, no issues (knock wood). 

I have Hercules tires on my Super C. They are a little over 5 years old and I’ve put about 15k on them. So far, no issues (knock wood). 
the Super C is usually  19 or 21" - It really  makes a difference . On one of my C Class I did the 19" conversion  and I towed a heavy 2 car 26' ft trailer for 4 years  with zero issues and never felt like  had to worry

the Super C is usually  19 or 21" - It really  makes a difference . On one of my C Class I did the 19" conversion  and I towed a heavy 2 car 26' ft trailer for 4 years  with zero issues and never felt like  had to worry
Ill have to double-check but pretty sure mine are the 19.5” . I use to tow a 24’ enclosed and now tow a 32’ enclosed. So I’m pushing mine pretty close to the max. My 32’ trailer loaded is close to 10k which is right at my tow capacity. The Hercules tires are 110psi max, I usually run them right about 100 - 102 psi. 

Ill have to double-check but pretty sure mine are the 19.5” . I use to tow a 24’ enclosed and now tow a 32’ enclosed. So I’m pushing mine pretty close to the max. My 32’ trailer loaded is close to 10k which is right at my tow capacity. The Hercules tires are 110psi max, I usually run them right about 100 - 102 psi. 
Yeah I meant 19.5 - we just call them 19's (lazy)  My trailer was 8500, 10K might be pushing it if you tend to load down the Coach. When I towed the Big Trailer I made sure Not to overload the coach

XPS are a Michelins heavy duty truck tire they also use as there trailer tire. They have steel side walls in them. I used them both on my truck and trailer and they last a long time. They are more expensive but time to dollar ratio probably equals out compared to other brands.

Google the Sailun, it is a amazing tire I dont think i have ever seen a bad review on them 

Google the Sailun, it is a amazing tire I dont think i have ever seen a bad review on them 
I run Sailun on my 48ft WW Full Throttle and I already bought some for my stacker that’s coming soon.

Back