The River Rhine

ChEFF

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
You've heard the saying........"Make A Long Story Short" Well, this is a Long Story made Longer. Let's start from the beginning. Glamis Dunes has been an incredible place. We have met our best friends here. What are the Odds that you'd be camped with fellow Duners and become the "Best of Friends?!" Well, that is exactly what happened. I could go on forever about this, but that's for another Thread. This is about a trip planned a year a go by @ROBERT L and @ChEFF Wives......... Sylvia and Sharon. Robert L and Da chEFF are responsible for TWO (2) things.............Transportation and Finance. When a trip like this is in the makings, I'd hear frequently throughout the year........."Give me your Credit Card" When i'd come home from work, my wife would be on the phone with @ROBERT L wife. (We're going to have to eliminate this relationship) Every time they talk it costs us more money. Fifteen (15) Days in Europe. Starts in Amsterdam and Finishes in Roma! I thought they spelled Roma (ROME) That is not the way they spell it. It's ROMA! Here we go! Let's start with the Attitude! YES.........Da chEFF is against this trip. For quite a few reasons. Let me explain a few......... ONE: Being in control. I have no control of this journey. TWO: Leaving our beautiful Country the Good 'OL USA. Never left this Country before. Ok, been to Tijuana, Mexico. When you grow up in San Diego, you go to Mexico. This is different. THREE: Completely Out of Pocket. Can't be there for people who need you to be there. When Da chEFF is in Mother Glamis........if the call is made, Lock and Load and head home. Not here. Can't solve the World's problems when you're a passenger. There are quite a few more reasons why this is a bad planned trip but..................Stop being a Whiny Little Biatch chEFF...........Get on with the story. The Flight: 9 1/2 hrs on a plane. Sitting in a chair, fighting ADHD, impossible. I felt sorry for the Flight attendants, and Robert L. Robert and Sylvia left CA and met us in TX. We flew together to Amsterdam. The Netherlands is 7hrs ahead of TX time. (9hrs) ahead of you CA folk. We left at 3:00pm TX time arrived in Amsterdam by 7:30am their time. Going thru Customs took a few hours. The only way to acclimate yourself to their time is STAY AWAKE. Here we go! Our wife's booked everything thru VIKING TOURS. They greeted us at the gate, took us to our hotel. Handled our luggage, Everything. That was awesome! Three Days in Amsterdam before we board the Ship. Let's talk Amsterdam. 950,000 residents..........2.5 million bicycles. Bicycles have the right of way! You better have your head on a swivel. They Rule the streets. Amsterdam has a large amount of Rivers. LOTS of Water thru-out the city. Cobblestone roads, all electric vehicles, and Bicycles.........EVERYWHERE! We were the Walking Dead. STAY AWAKE! First Tour Guide. Lets walk the city of Amsterdam. Did I mention WALK? If you plan to take this trip, I highly recommend you train before you go. You Walk Your Aiss off. I forgot to mention, Kirk and Rosalie were on their Anniversary and just so happened to be in Amsterdam when we were there. Did I mention meeting best of friends in Glamis? We've only just begun! Enjoy the Journey. Peace

Amsterdam Pulleys.jpgBoat Cruise.jpg
1st Tour Amsterdam.jpgHeinekin.jpgGlamis Group.jpg

Amsterdam Walk 1.jpg
Amsterdam Walk.jpg

Three (3) Days in Amsterdam. Bicycles / Cobblestone Roads / Small Hotel Rooms / Small Showers / Small Vanity Areas / Small Bathrooms / Small Ceilings Heights. Did I mention Small? Being from TX...........Everything IS bigger in TX. Lets talk stairs. 8" platforms. Straight up / Straight Down. A complete hazardous area. I feel for the people who have issues walking stairs. These stairs were brutal. I'll leave the RED LIGHT district for another time. Let's Board the Ship. Here is our Journey down the River Rhine! Start in Amsterdam, Netherlands / Finish in Basil, Switzerland. 650 miles for 7 days! Peace

Viking Kara Lowers.jpg

Viking Kara Trons.jpg

Viking Kara Ship Crew.jpg

River Route.jpg

Our Crew. 189 guests.....58 crew members. Viking is the Real Deal. First Class Company! Everyone remembers your name. Including the people cleaning your room. How did she know our names? She did. Da chEFF........... Him and I had glances. I was going to kick his aiss one day. I'm Da chEFF A DA WORLD. Got stickers and a web-site to prove it. Problem Here..........He actually cooks! And the meals were incredible. The crew were so friendly and the service was phenomenal. And they were all from different Countries. Pretty Cool. You can tell the enthusiasm by @ROBERT L expressions! Peace
Robert L.jpg

Ship Crew Names.jpg

Da chEFF don't sleep. Up early every morning. First one on Deck. I greet the Captain every morning when he arrives @ 5:30am. We set sail every evening. Ship thru the night while sleeping. This boat is so big, you can't feel that you're moving. Only 3 floors tall......aproximately 450' long / 60' wide. 50,000 gal fuel tank. 10mph max speed. We started at 300' above sea level / traveling up stream to 4500' above sea level. @ROBERT L cornered the Captain one morning and YES............We learned how to drive this Ship. Although our request to see the engine room was denied........... Bummer. That would have been cool to see. Bridges / Lots of Bridges / Sunrises were cool. Of course, me and the Captain are the only ones seeing them. Some people know how to sleep! Peace

Sunrise Bridge.jpg

Sunrise or Two.jpg

Bridges1.jpg

Bridges2.jpg

Bridges.jpg

The Awesome thing about this Cruise ship................you never lost the sight of land! We docked everyday and saw ever town we docked in. For instance. Day One......Kinderdijk and the Windmills Tour. Pretty awesome learning about these windmills. The Mill-ers live in these things. And get paid by the country if they spin them a certain amount of times per year. Made out of wood. The Gearing system was Bitchin. @ROBERT L can explain it better than me. Peace

Windmill Kinderdijk.jpg

Day Two: Cologne Germany. @J Alper mentioned History. Thanks to that Evil EFFER Adolph Hitler, this part of the world has a TON of History. Look up the battle in Cologne, Germany. This place was incredible. Lots of nice things to see. Locks of Love Bridge. Install your lock on the bridge and throw the key into the Rhine River. Pretty Cool. And the Brothers on each side of the Bridge. Warriors! Studs! Peace

Locks of Love Bridge Brothers.jpg
Locks of Love Bridge Brothers 1.jpg

Locks of Love.jpg

I forget the name of this Incredible structure. They removed all the stain glass windows before the war began. This happened everywhere on our Journey. How did these people build these structures with No Power Tools? Pretty Impressive to say the least. The inside was Breath Taking. Peace

Cologne Structure.jpg

Cologne Structure 1.jpg

Cologne Windows.jpg

Inside Cologne Structure.jpg

I forgot to mention........The Attitude changed the first morning on the Ship. Very Thankful and Happy to be on the Boat. Thanks to the wives........We're Here! Peace

Check out the size of the TOP of this structure. They had a bldg peak sitting on the ground to show you the actual size. Very Impressive. Peace

The TOP of the Bldg.jpg

The first time I saw this...............quite the chuckle. Little Giggle too. It means EXIT! That sign is all over the HWY'S. Peace

Ausfahrt.jpg

One morning I look over and see my name on the side of a Building. YES......................I am the ALPHA-TRON. Just ask my brothers. They'll disagree quickly! Peace

AlphaTron.jpg

Remember the original post? Make a long story long? I've skipped over so many things already. Just cruise my fellow Duners........Just cruise. The VIKING way. Remeber the song...............Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin? It's actually based on a true story. Pretty Cool Statue. Peace

Cats In the Cradle.jpg

Did I mention Churches? They're everywhere on this River. And in all the Towns we visited. This Church Organ was so incredible. Getting ahead of the days but this thing was LEGIT. Catholic Churches dominated the region. Aprrox 60% of them were of the catholic religion. And of course our ONLY way into Heaven........Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary! Peace

Church Organ.jpg

Baby Jesus.jpg

Baby Jesus1.jpg

A few more!

Attachments

• cheff europe 4.jpg
    cheff europe 4.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 4
  • cheff europe.jpg
    cheff europe.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 4
  • cheff europe 2.jpg
    cheff europe 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
  • cheff europe 3.jpg
    cheff europe 3.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4
  • cheff.png
    cheff.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 5
My sister, B-i-L, Mom & Aunt just got back from a 10 day cruise. Started in Amsterdam as well but they went into the big boy ocean. Norway, Sweeden, Scottland, Ireland, Fance and then to London to fly home.

Mom & Aunt had a great time, Sister on day 5 got Covid, Even though it wasn't much more than a cold and slight fever her and my B-I-L were confined in cabin for the remainder of the cruise. Gard outside stateroom and all, leave the room for any reason and you go ashore the next stop and are on your own to get home from there.

I guess anytime you get on or off the boat they take your temperature and if you have even a slight fever you get tested.

First time my sister didn't make money by getting the drink package, although it was close.

Our next stop was Historical Koblenz, Germany. This place was beautiful. Actually....everywhere we went was impressive. Such History. And the designs on these buildings was great. We were reminded about docking. Sometimes we'll be docked next to another Ship. So be careful opening up your drapes butt naked. We would walk thru their ship to get on shore. Did I mention Churches? LOTS of Churches. So breath taking. Of course, being a Rider, I had to sit and write my thoughts. A Journal if you will. Peace

Church Beauty.jpg

Church Beauty 1.jpg

Church Beauty 2.jpg

Koblenz.jpg

Write Journal.jpg

The Docking next to another ship. Tied up. We were always on the outside too. Our Capt knew the best out. Go First. Peace

Docked Close.jpg

Back