Speed UTV

Great post @NIKAL It cracks me up reading all the comments from the latest pictures. People just don't understand the process. I just keep biting my tongue. No need to to get in a keyboard battle. I get how it works and accept the pictures for what they are. And in the end, I know I am getting an "import" budget off-road car. I am part of Jimco's race team. Anyone who doesn't think these are budget cars, I'll take you for a tour of JImco. 

For those of you who will be butt hurt over the "budget car" comment. These are 95% race cars. You cannot get any race car for 40k. You almost couldn't build a competitive class 11 for 40k anymore. 

If 40k is too much for you.....simple, got buy something else and have fun with it! I sold my Alumicraft Prerunner before I put my deposit down on this. I bought a 5k Jeep to use in the meantime. The Jeep is almost as fun to drive as the Alumicraft (almost). The key to life is GO OUT AND HAVE FUN! With whatever it is!!

BINGO - best post I've seen on the classification of what this toy really is.

I said in the last thread, pre-Database crash that the Speed UTV was the equivalent of the Predator X18 was.

"Import" budget off-road car.....except this is a UTV and not a Sad Car, smart because that's today's market.

This will be the happy medium between a MFG and Custom Made UTV, they will not dominate the market - ever....but everyone will want one.

Just too easy the the masses to buy a Polaris...

WTF! Are you guys egging me on to post on this thread or just this dumb! 

Im going to assume no ones dumb, and just does not know or understands a production line or how something gets put into production. 

The cars you see are factory pre production cars using production parts, assembled by hand. Not actually on a moving assembly line. In most cases this is done directly at the factory, in a designated R&D or pre production dept. building or area. This is how all pre production products are done. Every brand & model of UTV or anything with multiple pieces are done like this. Years ago their was a leaked photo of the Turbo S on a pre production setup plate being assembled. It can take days or weeks to assemble a vehicle. Where as on an assembly line your doing dozens to thousands of units a day depending on what your building. (Example; Taylor guitar’s Tecate Mexico plant produces 800 guitars a day!) Robby said they are expecting to build 40 vehicles a day per line. With the goal of 2 lines running producing 80 cars a day. Ford produces over a 1000 trucks a day, and they still hand assembled their pre production & R&D trucks. 

First on a pre production unit, you are checking tooling and to see final fitment. When green lighted and put on a full assembly line, the parts & pieces have to fit right. You can’t stop a line to file or clean a cast or fitting. Some of the welds on the pre production cars will not pass, and they have noted that from the chassis dept, all the way to this pre production assembly. Like Robby & Todd have said the factory will keep working on the robot welders to perfect and meet standard. 

Two during this fitment and assembly process. Manufacturing and assembly line engineers are looking at what order parts have to be attached to the chassis as it moves down the line. What parts are needed to install a single part, like what bolt, bracket or zip tie is needed at that point to mount the intended part. This is called Kitting.

Then they look at what can be assembled on sub assembly lines. Engines, trans, difs, wiring harnesses, shocks. All theses are built & assembled on sub assembly lines, then staged  to be put into order for the final assembly line. Also these pieces are all hand assembled or built. 

Another thing assembly line engineers & project managers are looking at. Pre assembly kitting. For example, the front bulkhead. It might be more efficient to have the rack, arms, spindles tie rods brakes etc. mounted to the front bulkhead first and plugged into the chassis at one time. Or maybe that’s too big & bulky to stage or swing into the moving assembly line. So the arms might have to be installed later on the line after the bulkhead is installed in the chassis. But then you need hardware on the line to attach the arms. And you now have to have axles, spindles, brakes etc on the line. (More kitting) This is what a production assembly team is looking at. 

Then you have quality control engineers looking at the finished individual parts, how those mate up with other finished components. Example, Is the welded bracket on the chassis for the door hinge in the right location. Does the hinge bolt up to the bracket correctly? Do they have the right bolts, and what direction do the bolts install? Then does the molded plastic door properly bolt up to hinge that mounts to the chassis and what order does this happen? Is the door handle pre assembled on the door, or done when fitted on the vehicle? Does the striker latch line up with all that? See the chain that each piece has to fit? Your not putting doors on before the floorboards are installed. 

So what you are seeing in the Speed pictures is not an assembly line. This is not how they will be assembling each car. They will be on a true assembly line just like Henry Ford designed. 

Here is a video of how Honda assembles  their UTV & ATV’s. Notice the engines are pre assembled, or how the utv bed was sub assembled before being put on the final line to be attached to the vehicle. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JDgcG6dL8xM

I’m out!  
Yep, you're correct on the production process. Which I'm sure if you saw those pictures, then read this post:

View attachment 12703

You'd get VERY skeptical.  Either he's telling the truth here, and that is  finalization of the production process (which is hilarious if true).  Or he's full of it.  I'm thinking this is, as you say, pre-production assembly (equivalent of VIN-less mules made by automakers) and he's nowhere near green-lighting the kind of production that means people will see their deposits turn into reality soon. 

The problem is this post likely leads people to believe this is the assembly line, which you know will takea minimum of months to set up, and it's a huge financial risk to set up FRP prior to prototype assembly.  Ford takes about a year to make a production line that turns out 1,000 vehicles a day.  Taylor probably scaled up for decades to get to that level of production.  There were leaked photos of the X3 for almost a YEAR before they were available for purchase. Yes, the Hisun plant will help quite a bit, but this isn't final at all, more like the suppliers are set up on their jigs and processes, and once green-lit will go FRP to supply final assembly.

In other words: don't hold your breath.  You'll turn purple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at off road show in Southern Cal on Saturday they had the prototype 4 seater with carbon body there and seats to try out. Looks strong and well built. Hopefully trans and engine hold up. Cant wait to go for a ride in one.

If you are a deposit holder you have to be very encouraged they are getting the pre-production cars assembled.  Sounds like they are still a ways off from final production.

Good news is we will get to see the cars at the Sand Show.  

I went to the Off Road Nights event on Sat. They had the prototype El Jefe there for people to look at and sit in. I asked the guy there if they broke any belts or suspension parts on any of the prototype vehicles while testing either in Parker or Glamis, his answer was "no." Considering the mileage on it, it looked really good, just a few minor chips in the paint on the front edge of the a-arms. The belt and clutches looked brand new, the engine and turbo also looked brand new, no oil leaks or any discoloration anywhere.

It's actually a lot larger in person than I expected. The bottom edge of the roof was about 67" off the ground, the top of the roof is probably 69" high, which is higher than my 4 seat sand rail. 4 big guys could easily fit in it with room to spare. 

Overall, it's more impressive in person than in pictures or video.

No pics Steve? :dunno:

What are you...new around here?

True enough, I'm happy to hear they are making their way to the shows, hopefully more do by the SSSS.

This is good news for all the folks who have bought one.

Glad to see @NIKAL is back. He definitely speaks knowledge in this game. As for last weeks show. it was nice to hear Todd speak up on the business side and the production schedule. Seems they are having the covid MFG woes as well as the rest. Cant wait to get the new 4 seater hope it is everything they say it is, otherwise I will sell mine

So are these the production cars they have to put miles on in order to pass CARB. It’s my understanding they had to upgrade the turbo to fix the problem when they didn’t pass CARB the first time. 

My bad forgot this was rag on speedutv as much as possible and did not catch that my bad. 

Was talking to some buddies yesterday and 1 of them was saying how this is going to be like the X-18. I honestly think it will be better than the 3 leaders (POPO, CAN AM, Yam) but he made some valid points, such as he has to have some serious investors behind him to sell this. What do we think the aftermarket parts are going to be available? What about his white glove warranty for parts. Will he have arms in glamis or vegas etc ready to buy at sweet maries? Those are the issues that concerns me because sh!t breaks!

Back