Speed UTV

i look at this thread from time to time but have a question.  How was this motor made?  i mean like this cant be a ground up engine build with twin balance shafts etc.  was this motor in the works before speed came to them?  is it a half copy of something else?  was it slated for something else and then directed/changed to speeds specs?

regardless it looks impressive  and stout
I heard from Buffer that they bought the rights to the motor from Joyner.  It was going to be in the 8 seat Joyner buggies.

That's a great question, its built off someone's existing platform right? Wanna bet there is a NDA on it too?

Would interesting information to know :dunno:  
there is no way in one year some company just builds from scratch a motor and tranny like this and has a beautiful production line kicking these motors and trannies out, and there is no manufacture of engines that just makes a cool motor so specific to wait for a company to come along and say "oh thats a perfect fit for a project we have"

Last edited by a moderator:
From information given by Speed it is a ground up in house design and build. 

It has not been a year, I'm pretty sure the decision to go in house is a large reason for the delays among other issues. I think the decision to go with an in house engine was around January 2020 when Speed could only get their hands on a small quantity of Z1 engines and Kawasaki did not want to give up the design even though the engine has been shelved.

So at this time we are looking at 2.5 years of engine development. 
time flies and if it was a ground up build then hats off to at least what i see

time flies and if it was a ground up build then hats off to at least what i see
The original plan was to use the Suzuki Z1 motor, which has been used in snowmobiles and some were putting them in their UTVs.  A great motor with good power and super reliable.  Suzuki stopped making the motor and would not give it up to RG and company.   I believe plan B was to try to get Yamaha to sell them motors.  That may have been stopped due to contractual agreement between Yamaha and Textron.  Plan C was hatched - build a motor from the ground up. 

Back in 2020 we ran into the Speed guys in the dunes when they were driving around the 4 seat Wildcat XX they built.  They mentioned they were going to design a motor based off the Z1.  Move the turbo to a better location and do some other changes.  

Regardless it is very impressive they build a motor from the ground up.   

This has been talked about and said dozens of times. 

All over the globe. Lots of parts are being made throughout Asia including China. Some are from Australia, Delphi is making the wiring harness, and Sand Shark said Delphi does allot in Eastern Europe. 

Final assembly will be here in the USA, Texas to be exact. 

Using Asia to manufacture parts is no different then every automotive or recreation vehicle manufacture. 
I agree and thank you for your clear and precise updates I don’t have social media so if it’s not posted here or on YouTube I won’t see it

To put into prospective. Ford released the retro Ford Bronco Concept car back in 2004 at the Detroit auto show. Robby released his concept 2 1/2 years ago at Sand Sports. Here it is 2021 and the Bronco is now available to buy, or get on their waiting list. My sister had put her deposit on her Bronco a year ago and they got it a few weeks ago. 
I said it before and I’ll say it again even the richest guy in the world or at least he was when his stock was at a high can’t finish his Tesla super truck. I know somebody who had put a deposit on one just about when speed was at The sand sports super show, I think it was 2019 and said he was gonna do this. Now this is twice the car that he ever thought it was gonna be or talked about. As someone who actually got a deposit on one I still hope they take the time and get it right as they can.

Sounds like they will be in Asia for a while touring.   

Back