Paddle leaks

Bobalos

Reaction score
I have STU sand blaster 33x15s on my buggy now.  This is what I had on the buggy previously as well. 

I did have starch in the previous set.  I could go the entire season and only have to air up and down to compensate for wet or dry sand.  

I broke a wheel some time ago and bought a set of "douglas" wheels from joe fab and that is what  running now.  

I have tried nothing, starch and bead sealer and I can't get them to hold air beyond a single weekend.  The last 2 trips the drivers tire would not hold for a day.  

I did the soap on the bead trick and nothing stands out as the culprit.  They just leak from everywhere... LOL 

The out side of the tire that goes on the beadlock looks ok, but the inside that goes on the "normal " bead looks like the bead is crumbling.  Not smooth at all... 

I'm tempted to swap the tires from side to side so the beadlock side is now sealing on the bead and vice versa.  

Also the inside bead of the wheel  looks more rough than I would think they should to keep air in. But I don't know what it should look like...  any thoughts on taking some 220 grit to it and smoothing out that surface?  

Or maybe i should juat goop the ship out of each bead with the bead sealer and hope for the best?  

Anyone have any thoughts? 

20220704_114345.jpg

20220704_114349.jpg

20220704_114622.jpg

20220704_114625.jpg

20220704_120511.jpg

20220705_124648.jpg

20220705_124919.jpg

20220705_122715.jpg

20220705_122646.jpg

I dug put my spare Douglas (the side that did not break) and you can see that the beadlock side is knurled and the bead side is smooth up to the edge. Interesting... 

20220705_131003.jpg

20220705_131007.jpg

20220705_131013.jpg

Use Berrymans Tire Seal R. 2 cups per paddle, 1 cup per front tire.

I have STU sand blaster 33x15s on my buggy now.  This is what I had on the buggy previously as well. 

I did have starch in the previous set.  I could go the entire season and only have to air up and down to compensate for wet or dry sand.  

I broke a wheel some time ago and bought a set of "douglas" wheels from joe fab and that is what  running now.  

I have tried nothing, starch and bead sealer and I can't get them to hold air beyond a single weekend.  The last 2 trips the drivers tire would not hold for a day.  

I did the soap on the bead trick and nothing stands out as the culprit.  They just leak from everywhere... LOL 

The out side of the tire that goes on the beadlock looks ok, but the inside that goes on the "normal " bead looks like the bead is crumbling.  Not smooth at all... 

I'm tempted to swap the tires from side to side so the beadlock side is now sealing on the bead and vice versa.  

Also the inside bead of the wheel  looks more rough than I would think they should to keep air in. But I don't know what it should look like...  any thoughts on taking some 220 grit to it and smoothing out that surface?  

Or maybe i should juat goop the ship out of each bead with the bead sealer and hope for the best?  

Anyone have any thoughts? 

View attachment 36485

View attachment 36486

View attachment 36487

View attachment 36488

View attachment 36489

View attachment 36490

View attachment 36491

View attachment 36492

View attachment 36493
Can you see where the air is coming out, Starch or sealant oozing ?

If not, add more starch until you see where the air is coming out. 

Ill ask the obvious... Is the rim bent? If not.. Berrymans for the win..

Can you see where the air is coming out, Starch or sealant oozing ?

If not, add more starch until you see where the air is coming out. 
I cant really twll where its coming from.  However, the soap/bubbles say it's leaking everywhere.   But I seem to recall they were like that when they "didn't leak".  Super small bubbles over quite a while.  I thought with as fast as the one leaks compared to the other one it would be super obvious,  but its not.  

I can't see it running down the tire overnight but the starch is leaking out.  With the old tires/wheels there was liquid in the tire when I cracked it open.  This time completely dry.  

Ill ask the obvious... Is the rim bent? If not.. Berrymans for the win..
Hmmmm good question.   If they are bent its not super obvious.   They do kind of rock on the concrete like it has a high spot. I put a straight edge on it and the beadlock side is not really square in anyway.  I will dig out the other wheel and compare them to it. 

And fwiw, I have Razor blasters on the front and they don't hardly leak at all compared to the paddles.  

I would take a fine wire wheel to the bead and make it nice and smooth both on the wheel and tire then either use the berrymans or starch on them.  

when all else fails windshield adhesive on the bead its messy done it on a bunch of atv tires and some small equipment

I cleaned up the beads with the wire wheel and it looks a lot better.  

I also scrubbed the wheels and cleaned up the beads on them.  They look better.  But....  they looked better last summer when I did this then, and the first year I mounted the tires...  LOL 

20220705_181814.jpg

20220705_181800.jpg

And if you go with the Berryman's (good stuff in my experience, much better than Slime), after you put it in put your wheel down lying flat on the floor (non-beadlock side) and shake it around good while tipping it up about 6" (like a swash plate pump) to let the sealer get in the bead. I've found this works a lot better than just driving the car, because the centrifugal force keeps it away from the bead while driving. It may keep oozing out a little for eternity (at least mine has done so, I don't think it ever hardens) so that you have to wipe it off once in awhile, but it should stop the leaking. If you store them lying down, put the beadlock side down to reduce the mess.

I've also found that its a lot easier to get the beadlock side mounted and then dump the sealer in the other side before catching the bead. No messing with the little pump that way.

I'm with you in similar situation with my current set of tires. Tried everything and now at point I have them holding air for a couple of days. I currently have starch in them. The Berryman's didn't help as well as starch. Still unpredictable though, one day they won't hold air for a day and next time they stay inflated for 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant really twll where its coming from.  However, the soap/bubbles say it's leaking everywhere.   But I seem to recall they were like that when they "didn't leak".  Super small bubbles over quite a while.  I thought with as fast as the one leaks compared to the other one it would be super obvious,  but its not.  

I can't see it running down the tire overnight but the starch is leaking out.  With the old tires/wheels there was liquid in the tire when I cracked it open.  This time completely dry.  

Hmmmm good question.   If they are bent its not super obvious.   They do kind of rock on the concrete like it has a high spot. I put a straight edge on it and the beadlock side is not really square in anyway.  I will dig out the other wheel and compare them to it. 

And fwiw, I have Razor blasters on the front and they don't hardly leak at all compared to the paddles.  
If you saw similar bubble before, and it wasn't a PITA to keep air in them...  Probably not your primary leak.  Did you check for punctures?  Valve stem leaking?

If you saw similar bubble before, and it wasn't a PITA to keep air in them...  Probably not your primary leak.  Did you check for punctures?  Valve stem leaking?
highlighted part: that is what I thought.  my old wheels & tires had "this much leak", & they would stay aired up for a long time (with a little starch). 

Yes and no, to your 2 questions.  However Im using soap in a spray bottle, I dont have anything large enough to submerge it. 

last night I inspected the inside of each tire & there is nothing sticking through & no blemishes @ all in the tires that I could see.  I need to buy a feeding trough or wheel barrow or something so submerge the tire & see if I cant find the leaks. 

Welcome to drop it in my ghetto pool (above ground, don't judge me) if you can't find anything.  That, or drag it to the ocean and look like a weirdo... :biggrin:

Since using Sta-flo, I've had more problems with clogged up valvestems than anything else.  Only needed to plug once.

highlighted part: that is what I thought.  my old wheels & tires had "this much leak", & they would stay aired up for a long time (with a little starch). 

Yes and no, to your 2 questions.  However Im using soap in a spray bottle, I dont have anything large enough to submerge it. 

last night I inspected the inside of each tire & there is nothing sticking through & no blemishes @ all in the tires that I could see.  I need to buy a feeding trough or wheel barrow or something so submerge the tire & see if I cant find the leaks. 
Did you spray the carcass of the tire with the soapy water?

Did you spray the carcass of the tire with the soapy water?
Yes, but it kept running off & I started getting frustrated with the mess it was making (and no results). 

I tried to pivot & look in the submerge the damm thing method but that is proving to be more difficult than I thought.  I might just fill the bathtub & beg for forgiveness when my wife figures out I drug paddles upstairs to find leaks.  LOL. 

@Rockwood, I look like a weirdo all of the time, so the strange looks my direction dont bother me any more.  LOL.

Back