Outfront Gen 5 conversion/upgrades.....the story continues

#2 installing an e85 sensor so i could see ethanol content on my dash and with time could tune my car on race gas too.  once done i would be able to mix any combination of ethanol and race gas and she should run fine.

was curious if anyone has that option and if you use it often?  whats been your observation, likes, dislikes?
I helped setup a system like that on GeneralG's buggy last year.  E85 isn't always available around here, so he wanted to be able to switch back to race fuel if needed.  I don't believe he's had to use it yet, but the way I programmed it the switch should be seemless.  He's using a Holley HP system and ethanol content is displayed on his dash.

i think its a function of the driver and how aggressive the cornering is and how low the tank is.  i dont like the idea of having to be topped off all the time because of this issue.  on one run i can go from full until the issue occurs--so like a 15-16 gallon run.  thats bogus  that means i basically carry 8 extra gallons of fuel all the time (50 lbs) when if the issue was fixed,  i could run lower fuel levels (and weight).  no matter how good the tank design you cant argue with a fuel sump.  lots of pics to come

this is the surge tank, can run up to 3 pumps internally,  i will run two 450 liter pumps.  because i am running them sequentially, if the main pump fails, i could simply switch the 2nd stage wiring to the first stage and make it out of the dunes.  i will have fuel pressure  protection.  i will track fuel presure with one pump and see where it runs out of fuel. then program a 4000 rpm rev limiter if it ever drops below the required fuel pressure. it would also trip a CEL on the dash indicating the issue

MPFST, Multi-Pump Fuel Surge Tank (radiumauto.com)

i will track fuel temp over  long run to see if anything goes crazy on a long run, it will be mounted to my expanded metal floor via a mounting plate
I have the same thing.  Once I get down to 1/4 tank, when I make hard left turns I will run out of fuel for a second.  My sump is on the driver side.  

i think its a function of the driver and how aggressive the cornering is and how low the tank is.  i dont like the idea of having to be topped off all the time because of this issue.  on one run i can go from full until the issue occurs--so like a 15-16 gallon run.  thats bogus  that means i basically carry 8 extra gallons of fuel all the time (50 lbs) when if the issue was fixed,  i could run lower fuel levels (and weight).  no matter how good the tank design you cant argue with a fuel sump.  lots of pics to come

this is the surge tank, can run up to 3 pumps internally,  i will run two 450 liter pumps.  because i am running them sequentially, if the main pump fails, i could simply switch the 2nd stage wiring to the first stage and make it out of the dunes.  i will have fuel pressure  protection.  i will track fuel presure with one pump and see where it runs out of fuel. then program a 4000 rpm rev limiter if it ever drops below the required fuel pressure. it would also trip a CEL on the dash indicating the issue

MPFST, Multi-Pump Fuel Surge Tank (radiumauto.com)

i will track fuel temp over  long run to see if anything goes crazy on a long run, it will be mounted to my expanded metal floor via a mounting plate
Thanks for the link, I think that's a change I want to make in the off season! 

-TJ

here is my external fuel sump,  yes 3 fuel pumps, these are 450lph pumps.  only two will be running at ant given time (2nd one will be staged based on boost)  the 3rd is along for the ride.  i will have easy connectors on the outside to switch/cycle between all three.  basically, every few trips out i can change the connectors around to use all three pumps.  now if one goes bad it would take me 3 mins to be on the road.  these are ethanol rated pumps too.  super trick.

i will be data logging fuel pressure based on boost to determine when the second pump comes on and can put in engine protection if the fuel presure drops below it required pressure

not cheap, 

sump is $522

pumps are $140 each (these can only be installed in a sump) (not for typical external use)

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the fuel sump operational with some issues.  data logged the fuel pressure and when the second pump comes on at 40% duty cycle the fuel pressure has a 5 psi spike in fuel pressure.  thats 900 liters per hour so thinking i might add an upstream secondary fuel pressure regulator.  essentially having two regulators in parallel.  the second one would be installed at the main filter before even getting to the motor.  running 6 ID1300 injectors at 4 bar.  ecu now monitoring ethanol content and temp too.  shows 82% E and reached 104f by end of the first dyno session.  

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

Back