Outfront Gen 5 conversion/upgrades.....the story continues

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I had a Big thread that was lost in the crash and had lots of pics and upgrades that i have done through the years.  I have some old pics that i can repost with some creative upgrades i have done.  Pics will come when i have some time to post

The car started out as a Gen 5   4 seater that i have drastically modified.  im guessing i have well over 100 hours on the frame upgrades alone

it has a Mendeola sequential 5 speed mated to a custom hybrid Subaru flat 6, 3.2 liters, single turbo 805 hp on E85  2300 lbs wet with no driver.  This car has never been beat in any EPO that it has entered.  still has the original 122" wheel base. 3" bypass shocks with 4 tubes in the rear, Lots of effort has been invested in the lowest possible CG a buggy could "ever" have  there is no lower CG motor than the Subaru engine, I would say (except for an air cooled VW) there is no water cooled motor/chassis combo that has a lower CG than mine.  the radiator is mounted right on the floor, the fuel tank is custom 24 gallon and sits right behind the seat, turbo is on top of the trans all to improve weight bias forward

i welcome any comments or questions or critiques you may have

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you do the LS 440 conversion over the summer @Squatcher said you picked up a new motor for you and you should have it put in by end of August.. :dunno:

He said you needed more low end / torque for the drags.....   Post some pics!!!!

:poule:

Did you do the LS 440 conversion over the summer @Squatcher said you picked up a new motor for you and you should have it put in by end of August.. :dunno:

He said you needed more low end / torque for the drags.....   Post some pics!!!!

:poule:
that's cause he hears my car idling so he can keep up, We can do another race from a dig.....another cheese burger please!

I had a Big thread that was lost in the crash and had lots of pics and upgrades that i have done through the years.  I have some old pics that i can repost with some creative upgrades i have done.  Pics will come when i have some time to post

The car started out as a Gen 5   4 seater that i have drastically modified.  im guessing i have well over 100 hours on the frame upgrades alone

it has a Mendeola sequential 5 speed mated to a custom hybrid Subaru flat 6, 3.2 liters, single turbo 805 hp on E85  2300 lbs wet with no driver.  This car has never been beat in any EPO that it has entered.  still has the original 122" wheel base. 3" bypass shocks with 4 tubes in the rear, Lots of effort has been invested in the lowest possible CG a buggy could "ever" have  there is no lower CG motor than the Subaru engine, I would say (except for an air cooled VW) there is no water cooled motor/chassis combo that has a lower CG than mine.  the radiator is mounted right on the floor, the fuel tank is custom 24 gallon and sits right behind the seat, turbo is on top of the trans all to improve weight bias forward

i welcome any comments or questions or critiques you may have

View attachment 12728

View attachment 12729
Do you still have the 2.5’s in the front? 

some from years past:  Larry from SU, Kevin from SU, Funco Grant and Chad, C&G, , punisher550, Chris from CBM, Pro ultra light driver, lucas series. Chizzle, Grease Monkey, Squatcher, Paul, air 450, Jason  300hp-1200hp cars

thats a short list, Other big names have been invited multiple times but for some strange reason they were not able to come..this would include Nascar drivers, and some big money guys at Glamis with any car they wish, even any driver they wish but couldn't make it.  some other nig names entered then wanted to change the format--that was a no go too

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you plan to let someone else design the course someday and have no pre-runs like everyone else?

-TJ

Do you plan to let someone else design the course someday and have no pre-runs like everyone else?

-TJ
Hmmm. i have never had any part in designing the course, ever.   Pre running?  one time i went out and ran the course the day before by myself (clearly other did the same) problem was on race day they told me which direction we were going and it was the opposite way i practiced.  the last time we we had it, i had never pre ran the course until 30 min before with every one else. 

Did you think otherwise^^^

Hmmm. i have never had any part in designing the course, ever.   Pre running?  one time i went out and ran the course the day before by myself (clearly other did the same) problem was on race day they told me which direction we were going and it was the opposite way i practiced.  the last time we we had it, i had never pre ran the course until 30 min before with every one else. 

Did you think otherwise^^^
That was funny we were all sitting at camp and after about 30 mins we looked at each other and said I hope John ran it the right direction.  You still beat us.   

-TJ
Been out there a few times for the track set up and I can tell you this. John has never set up the track and I don't remember his input being put into the set up of the track.  Pre-runs the night before have happened but are not always helpful.  Running a fresh track that was just burnt in is one thing running a track that had 20 cars practice and another 10 cars race on is another thing. Luck of the draw of where you run plays a bigger part.

That was funny we were all sitting at camp and after about 30 mins we looked at each other and said I hope John ran it the right direction.  You still beat us.   
I remember that night. Thinking there he goes getting all the practice. He must of been worried about me taking his spot at the top. 😜

Then we show up that morning and it's the opposite direction from prior runs. 

That screwed me big time.  All the mental prep, prior memories, dont do's and need to do's just got taken away. 

I can tell ya, for me anyways. The jitters the night before and the morning leading up to the go time is something else.  It's all for fun but there's something human in all of us in wanting to win. 

Been out there a few times for the track set up and I can tell you this. John has never set up the track and I don't remember his input being put into the set up of the track.  Pre-runs the night before have happened but are not always helpful.  Running a fresh track that was just burnt in is one thing running a track that had 20 cars practice and another 10 cars race on is another thing. Luck of the draw of where you run plays a bigger part.
That track gets rutted fast.............

The fact is, some dude on a quad is the only one to ever set up the track.
I've chatted with that guy at a few races...about track selection, etc....always got the same response

tenor.png
80527907.jpg

ZMi5cy.gif
  :foff:

Ive been lucky enough to be invited out to the race..... All of you are great drivers, but John, in my opinion, was the best out there. That damn lil Green Funco flat out haul azz!!

Back