Off season remodel and prep

ranman5608

Reaction score
Hey glamis fam just wanted to show off my work in progress. 

I picked this car up not too long ago and decided to make a few changes. Below are some specs. 

Chassis: 4 seat Baja Shop with a Jimco class 1 or 10 front bulkhead an arm front end. 

Engine: turnkey ls6 on mefi 4b ecu 

Transmission: deco case mendeola md4s-2d and jamar x shifter

Shocks: fox racing 2.0 coil over 2.5 bypass front. sway a way 2.5 coilover fox 3.0 bypass rear.

Hubs & Brakes: front RBP 2.0 4 piston willwood calipers. rear Summers brothers full float 934 with 6 piston jamar x calipers. Full hanging pedal assembly with jamar masters and turning brake 

Seats and Belts: PRP and PRP 5.3 harnesses

Coms: PCI intercom iCOM radio  

Lighting: rigid pods on front bumper and a pillar rigid light bar on roof safeglo led interior lights and dual marshin whips 

Gps: Lowrance 3300 (old unit but works well)

Wheel & Tires: desert setup 15” douglas bead locks 33” BFG mid terrains. Sand setup 15F-17R black douglas bead lock with razor blasters and sand blasters

now the changes 

I first pulled off the old wrap which was starting to get pretty dry and look bad then I edited a profile view of the car for concept (picture of the two white profile views) I was never really fond of the slant roof look so I decided to chop it down a few inches. Once that was completed I cut a new roof and added a couple led dome lights. Next I figured I would make a new exhaust since the packing in the driver side muffler was deteriorating I decided to go to an exotic style center exit which sounds amazing now. I then cut a new glass for the windshield and broke a couple of them during the installation so since I will be re coating the entire car eventually I powder coated the windshield frame for the last one because I didn’t want to pull the glass back out until completely necessary. Once all of that was completed I had the Tatum steering rack rebuilt and replaced all of the consumable hardware in the front end. Now next step is to service all of the drivetrain components. I also included a graphics idea I’ve been toying with and an idea for the interior panels and roof (this stuff should deaden the sound greatly.

hope you guys like her let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_2659.jpegIMG_2663.jpegIMG_2858.jpegIMG_2896.pngIMG_2898.jpegIMG_2900.jpeg70269760176__01A53243-1EFE-4BEB-971F-DD34CAD4FB08.jpegIMG_2924.jpegIMG_2942.jpegIMG_2963.jpegIMG_2970.jpegIMG_2980.jpegIMG_3019.jpegIMG_3021.jpegIMG_3057.jpegIMG_3062.jpeg70595051328__94E5159F-1C66-42F2-AE75-0C3DBE9E5E4D.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

IMG_2990.jpeg

Awesome thread. I agree with you it looks better after you re-did the roof line. Great job. 

Thank you I feel like it really updated it. 

I found some trick little 1/4 -20 stainless nuts I think they look a lot better than a standard nylock and a bunch of threads sticking out. (McMaster Carr) 

Also added a sound clip of the exhaust 

IMG_3024.mov

IMG_3073.jpeg

Attachments

If you've not used stainless before, little dab of anti seize will make your life a lot better over time.  

Oh yea this is 18-8 stainless so a little less susceptible to galling but there’s definitely a little in there 

hey guys got a little update. I got the panels coated and the insides covered in seadeck. shes made 4 trips this season and after some shock tuning and spring rate adjustments done shes an absolute monster. i have yet to find any other fabrication changes required but we have some time still. the plan for this off season is still to tear it down completly and coat the chassis provided the 2d hangs in there it may just get a s4 upgrade before coating but well see. Stay tuned. 

IMG_3177.JPEG

IMG_3178.JPEG

IMG_3179.JPEG

IMG_3183.JPEG

IMG_3187.JPEG

after speaking with a few people in the sand car industry i decided to remove the tab from the exhaust to the chassis, for two reasons 1. it wasn't entirely necessary since this entire setup is lighter than the two flow through mufflers and 2. with the thermal expansion and vibrations of the exhaust compared to the chassis they are prone to cracking off. I also added some exhaust wrap to avoid any unwanted burns plus it looks cool. 

IMG_3421.JPEG

well gentlemen looks like my season is over. the 2d is making noise so instead of driving it till the wheels fall off its time to do the logical thing and throw an s4 in her. 

got the new shifter in and front gear box mount as well as a new battery box to relocate it to the front of the car. its in a dumb spot now making it very difficult to service the gearbox and replace the battery. I also plan on changing out the b pillar to one similar to the attached below image inspired by Robby Woods and fixing up the shock tower plates in the back. im not happy with the quality of the plasma cut and welds (i was in a hurry for no reason) 

IMG_3954.jpeg

IMG_3953.jpeg

IMG_2994.PNG

IMG_4002.mp4

current state. She's almost all the way torn down. it will go to sand blast then ill fix a few of the old booger welds and remake a couple mounts for the new S4, work on new shock plates, and remove some of the old unnecessary tabs. then off to powder. I almost enjoy this part more than i like driving it. Don't mind the mess of a garage i was in total tare down mode. 

Attachments

Back