New Polaris Pro R

Insanity.  I looked at a used 2020 JL Rubicon with 11K miles for $50K today.

I got ahold of my Guy at Mountain Motorsports just to see what he thought on a timeline. He came back with 500 bucks puts you on the list and hopefully by spring it would be in. My next question was ok whats the OTD roughly and it was crickets. I didnt put my name on the list because I assume 50k is going to be the number for awhile at least and that is just too Far out for me

I 'heard' concord Polaris sold both of their Pro R 4 seat launch editions for $47k otd.  Both are still in their showroom to drool over until they get picked up......

I honestly don't understand how they can say the Pro R 4 seater scoots. It weighs 2500 lbs wet, yet it only has 225 hp. That's a very low power to weight ratio.

My 4 seat sand rail weighs 2500 lbs, has a Northstar engine (the heaviest V8 with huge cylinder heads and double overhead cams) and it has 8 shocks on it - 4 coilovers and 4 bypasses. Since the Pro R has a 4 cylinder (much lighter engine) and only 4 shocks, no midboard hubs, but it does have a front diff, which together with the rear diff and trans probably equals my transaxle weight.

So it looks to me like they've just added a lot of extra, thicker tubing that is making it weigh so much. It certainly is not triangulated like a sand rail would be.  

I honestly don't understand how they can say the Pro R 4 seater scoots. It weighs 2500 lbs wet, yet it only has 225 hp. That's a very low power to weight ratio.

My 4 seat sand rail weighs 2500 lbs, has a Northstar engine (the heaviest V8 with huge cylinder heads and double overhead cams) and it has 8 shocks on it - 4 coilovers and 4 bypasses. Since the Pro R has a 4 cylinder (much lighter engine) and only 4 shocks, no midboard hubs, but it does have a front diff, which together with the rear diff and trans probably equals my transaxle weight.

So it looks to me like they've just added a lot of extra, thicker tubing that is making it weigh so much. It certainly is not triangulated like a sand rail would be.  
I have often wondered this myself. How and the hell are these cars getting so heavy compared to a sand rail? I mean the frame tubing is thinner, the drive train is lighter, and the body and floor is plastic! Where is the weight coming from?

Reactions: JBL
The SXSBlog guys are goofy, and I have a hard time watching their videos, but they got a 4 seat Pro R and they said they paid $50K. Assume that’s out the door pricing. Ouch! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9BYZqzxH8
Sounds about right by the time Dealers get through with mark ups.  I know dealers in CA are well known for mark ups.  But people have the money and have to have the latest toys. Enjoy it.

Count the number of parts on a UTV vs a Sand Rail. All that stuff adds up to dead weight, at least with a bigger motor and trans in a sand rail...it normally equals an increase in HP...not on a UTV....just more plastic, etc.

The SXSBlog guys are goofy, and I have a hard time watching their videos, but they got a 4 seat Pro R and they said they paid $50K. Assume that’s out the door pricing. Ouch! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9BYZqzxH8
The MSRP on the model they got is $44,999.  That is the launch edition which is a special edition model.  Not too hard to get to $50K.   I bet people in the Southwest will be paying over $50K for that launch model.  All the dealers around here are getting $3,500-$5,500 in dealer mark ups due to high demand and low inventory.  

If you don't want all the fancy electronic suspension and gadgets the Sport model of the Pro R is $35,999.  Polaris has several price points covered. 

The two seat version is cheaper with the Sport MSRP at $31,999 and the Ultimate at $37,999.

I will say even with the high MSRP the Pro with the dynamic suspension does give you a good amount for your money.   That new Dynamic suspension on the Pro R is super sophisticated with it controlling the rebound and compression separately. Plus the anti-dive and other stuff the system does.  

A friend has one in Glamis right now and also owns a X3 (A built X3 with well over 275hp).  He is blown away with the power and over all ride of the Pro R.  He said the Pro R hits the power hard.  Said the new Dynamic system is super nice.  He said the car handles really well in the dunes and through the whoops.  

Be glad you locked in your price on your Speed UTV.  Those people that are waiting for them to be released and plan on buying them from a dealer are going to be paying a good $5,000 in dealer marker up.  I bet a fully decked out Speed UTV El Jeffe will be north of $50K as well. 

Was not long ago people were complaining about paying $20K for a XP1000.  

I 'heard' concord Polaris sold both of their Pro R 4 seat launch editions for $47k otd.  Both are still in their showroom to drool over until they get picked up......
That might be to out of state customers that were not paying sales tax. The MSRP is $44,999 and add in sales tax you are over $48K and could be higher depending you sale tax where you live.   I can't imagine they sold them for under MSRP.  

Go look at the videos.  The Pro looks like it is moving pretty well.  Remember with a CVT set up you are almost always in the peak hp/tq range. 

[SIZE=11pt]https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXgkWjSJQe1/?utm_medium=copy_link[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYruRGWo4kx/?utm_medium=copy_link[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it look faster than a sand rail with 450 or 500hp?

I'm never going to spend $50k on a Gayzer, as stoney calls them. 
I have seen some of the sandrail drivers going through the dunes and based on what I have seen yes it looks just as fast or faster.  🤣🤣🤣

No you are going to spend 40k on a Unicorn.  🤣🤣

I had read & mentioned this many, many posts back. But it just popped up again. 

Starting in 2022 Polaris is charging a new $400 Logistics Surcharge on every unit. This is not a fee that can be waved as the money is sent to Polaris, just like the Destination Charges we have always paid. In a WSJ article it talked about the 2.5% MSRP increase, and another way to recoup the inflation costs was adding a surcharge. This helps keep the advertised MSRP price down but still allows Polaris to cover rising costs. 

So now you have Destination Charges, which last time I checked was $750? Then you had dealer set up & prep fees, which seem to be different depending on the dealership. Tax & License fees, and now this $400 Logistics Surcharge on UTV’s. I guess be great full as the surcharge on a Slingshot is $900.  

Anyone know if Can Am is adding other fees or planning on it? Typically when one does it the rest follow. 
I think it was last year or maybe 2020 that ridenow was advertising X3s with a $6,000 discount putting the price at like $23k but otd price was still over $30k. They were just taking $6k off their advertised price and tacking it on the back end as a fee. They couldn't explain what that $6k fee was for but probably got a lot of customers in the door that were financing it anyway and didn't care about a few extra fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back