Minor Makeover

This is the shiate!!!!  you will be happier using this .
Thanks for the feedback. I bought the stripper from Aircraft Spruce in Corona and it works about the same as the Jasco stuff but costs twice as much. 
It’s becoming much more difficult than I expected to find a good stripper. 

get an old beach towel and lay it over the area and just poor lacquer thinner on it or acetone if you can find it. let sit 30 min. towel needs to remain soaking wet. it should wipe right off. no high dollar stuff needed.  but only on metal panels do not use that method on fiberglass.

• Thanks
Reactions: FOG
get an old beach towel and lay it over the area and just poor lacquer thinner on it or acetone if you can find it. let sit 30 min. towel needs to remain soaking wet. it should wipe right off. no high dollar stuff needed.  but only on metal panels do not use that method on fiberglass.
Thanks. I have some acetone, so I’ll give it a shot. 

I gave it a shot, twice and it didn’t work. I’m pretty sure that there’s an epoxy clear coating that’s resisting any chemical penetration. 
When I sand it I recognize the smell from my old boat fiberglassing days. But once the clear coat is gone the chemicals are working to lift the paint. 

So far I’m liking how this car is built but then I find little things.  Nothing against the original builder as I know over the 20+ years several hands have touched it.  Some good, some not so much. 
Fortunately the TB was clean and it was an easy fix. 

18097C43-F2CC-42DD-8D56-FD1843AF3F93.jpeg

0E42CF99-0591-46A9-8F4D-02ABB92FB640.jpeg

Ken, not a fan of this option. I don't feel you can get that nut tight enough to not worry about it coming loose and getting sucked into the intake.

Silicone hose isn't the right option for this.

How about a pipe with a bung welded in for the IAT sensor. 

Just my opinion. Sorry. 

Thanks Erik, @Grease Monkey I appreciate your opinion. 
I put Permatex Black silicone adhesive on everything, tightened it and then wiped off the excess. I will put another bead around the nut once the adhesive cures. 
What do you think?

When I bought the car I noticed a fuse block in the wing truck but it wasn’t labeled. I asked the PO but he didn’t know what the fuses were for. I also noticed a few relays in the bundle but again “I don’t know” from the PO. 
It’s a modified OEM wiring harness with an OEM ECU. I removed the dashboard and discovered another fuse block and 5 more relays. All unlabeled.

So I got out my multi meter and made a wiring diagram. I got it all figured out except for two fuses in the wing trunk block. Almost all of the wires in that fuse block are pink, so that made it fun. I also found that the motor (high current) side of the fans relay is not fused. I’ll add an inline fuse to fix that. 

1A6E698C-7421-49A2-A2E9-0DD9B0DD6137.jpeg

F707733E-4D89-4E3A-8246-88017D39C67D.jpeg

A few people have asked what I used to color my seats. 
I used Duplicate-Color Vinyl and Fabric.  I tried a different brush on dye but didn’t have much success with it.  This is a spray that goes on like a paint but is actually a dye.  I used flat black. 

2A6D9E34-640A-4EA5-B31C-21BC4BA99668.jpeg

Finally got the parts back from the chemical stripper. Some parts came out clean but others were only partially done. For example the wing trunk had a 6” wide strip of paint in the middle because they put it in the tank (55 gallon barrel) and then had to turn it 180* to get the other end. So I had to remove the remainder by hand.  
Still have a ways to go but this is what I got so far. 
Decided to leave it bare aluminum for this season. Took some 60 grit on an orbital to give it some character. 

1E8A5319-637F-424D-ACE5-1058F089BDD1.jpeg

31152BC2-B71D-437F-ACF1-FBD74512479F.jpeg

I didn’t like the tach mounted on the hood. I decided to go with a dash mounted tach and remove the clock that was in the dash. But Autometer doesn’t make a dash mounted tach with the same diameter of the other gauges in the dash. 
So with a little massaging I was able to get the same diameter surface mount tach mounted in the dash. 

BF4C1647-8A2F-4615-929C-E87DC949E998.jpeg

A7B46186-84E0-4B46-BA31-137B81DF4D6F.jpeg

0594EF60-9284-4A18-8090-37EC12B9CC78.jpeg

Very nice I’m looking forward to seeing it in person.  

• Thanks
Reactions: FOG
Back