Minor Makeover

FOG

Reaction score
I bought this older Baja Shop sand car a few months ago and now want to make it mine. 
First the “Good News”. 
It’s a mid LS engine long travel with boxed arms front and rear and dual shocks. The frame is beefy and she runs well. 
However, it won’t fit in my enclosed so I sold the rear wheels and will get some narrower rims to solve that problem. Some of the shocks and power rack and pinion are leaking so they’re getting rebuilt. 
The transaxle is a Mega Sand 3 speed. We’ll see if that makes it through the season. And I decided that there’s way too much orange. 
I started taking things apart and I’m sure that there will be more stuff that needs to addressed. 
So the summer fun begins. 

74AA48BF-B6D6-41F9-BA68-0C6E21129689.jpeg

A9142902-7A74-4820-87A9-5AE3FFE5D883.png

87924092-9680-4D28-A082-A43D67A83673.png

3C63DFA6-0B46-4E8D-9D07-6785F6990ECB.jpeg

DBB19AE3-E9DA-496A-869E-64B77485630B.jpeg

Just a thought, you can have omf cut the wheels down to whatever size you want. I had my rear 12" wheels cut down to 9" now it fits in the box trailer without swapping the tires every time.  That gets old....

Just a thought, you can have omf cut the wheels down to whatever size you want. I had my rear 12" wheels cut down to 9" now it fits in the box trailer without swapping the tires every time.  That gets old....
Ask For Woody OR Bones at OMF !  They are awesome to work with for sure!!!

:poule:

Reactions: FOG

Ask For Woody OR Bones at OMF !  They are awesome to work with for sure!!!

:poule:
Thanks. I did talk to them but I felt a little uneasy about having them cut the wheel in half and then welding it back together. 
So I sold them and will buy another pair. 

I’m having an issue getting all of the old paint off of the panels. I took them to two different blasting companies and both said that they would not do it because they would more than likely damage the panels. 
I then took them to a company that could cold strip them but they could only do 9 of the 14 pieces due to the newer laws limiting the size of their tank. 
So now I’m stripping the larger pieces myself. The problem is that the current paint strippers no longer have the key ingredient “methylene chloride” and don’t work very well. I’m going to AZ soon and can hopefully pick up some of the good stuff. 

75752278-40DE-4757-861D-B991F12DAD57.jpeg

51C2D5D1-35E2-453A-A95F-E208AC7F15DE.jpeg

I’m having an issue getting all of the old paint off of the panels. I took them to two different blasting companies and both said that they would not do it because they would more than likely damage the panels. 
I then took them to a company that could cold strip them but they could only do 9 of the 14 pieces due to the newer laws limiting the size of their tank. 
So now I’m stripping the larger pieces myself. The problem is that the current paint strippers no longer have the key ingredient “methylene chloride” and don’t work very well. I’m going to AZ soon and can hopefully pick up some of the good stuff. 

View attachment 111482

View attachment 111483
This stuff sucks.  Have gallons of it rusting away as its just too much mess with terrible results.  I feel for ya.  I too miss the aircraft stripper we all had access to years ago.

I shot you a text.  Let me know.

• Thanks
cant wait to see this thing done. mine is currently at the powder coater this next season is going to be sweet.

• Thanks
My Buddy owns a sandblasting company in Menifee.. Called SandblastXtreme.. ask for Tim.. He is a good guy and a duner too

• Thanks
cant wait to see this thing done. mine is currently at the powder coater this next season is going to be sweet.
Thanks.  I’m just doing a few things to see if she is a keeper. 
But you’re going all in.  

Tal Strip. Stuff is about as good as it gets. Sand blasting you have to be careful not to overheat panel that will cause them to warp.

• Thanks
Tal Strip. Stuff is about as good as it gets. Sand blasting you have to be careful not to overheat panel that will cause them to warp.
Thanks. Can you get Tal Strip in CA or shipped here?

You are correct about the blasting. I was told either sand or other materials could warp or put holes in the panels. 

Thanks. Can you get Tal Strip in CA or shipped here?

You are correct about the blasting. I was told either sand or other materials could warp or put holes in the panels. 
Not sure what the rules are for the stripper in location. Some of it is pretty nasty stuff.

• Thanks
Anyone use the Ultra Aircraft stripper?

It’s twice the the cost of the Jasco stuff I’m using now and wondering if it works twice as good. 

7EB7DF22-5B9D-4031-866F-482441527C36.jpeg

The seats also had some orange upholstery that I didn’t like. My first attempt was to dye the orange black and keep the gray as is. I used a brush on dye but it bled into the gray so I just ended up spraying the whole seat black. 

9FE2ACDD-FF17-4878-A7FD-BAD15CCE0F9F.jpeg

D06B7C83-808E-453B-BB5F-33E3432E00B7.jpeg

:headbang:

Cool project...I hope it all works out.

:cheers:

Back