Let's talk Griddles

Bansh88

Reaction score
Wife and I have been talking about getting a Blackstone style griddle for a while.  Almost pulled the trigger today on a Nexgrill on sale at Home Depot.  Figured I should put a few seconds of research in first.

What's everyone's experience, reviews and do/don'ts on them?

Blackstone vs Nexgrill vs Pitboss vs etc?  Not interested in add-ons like fryers, side burners, cabinets...

We definitely want a good size and it must have a lid.  This will stay on our back patio. 

I’ve got a Blackstone 36”. The thing I really didn’t like was the gap around the griddle and the base. A lot of heat comes out and it will melt whatever is sitting on the side shelves.  Mine has the grease pan in the back and it seems to catch everything pretty good.  

I built a frame around the griddle the front and sides to block the heat.  Now I can sit stuff on the shelves without worrying about melting or burning my hand on something hot. 

I also made some spatula holders because I didn’t like setting them on the griddle or shelf.  

and I deleted the pictures of the angle iron around the griddle. 

1FBDD443-13E8-4682-9FF5-A7ABC799F2C1.jpeg

AE44DA77-7545-472D-9DD4-70CC05ADDEEA.jpeg

045BB4BF-23D6-47B8-BE54-230E1C437037.jpeg

DC32C598-D9D3-4D1F-9819-80F8E79C330F.jpeg

How big are you looking to go?

I have a Lodge cast iron reversible griddle that I put on an old two burner Coleman camp stove.  I only use the flat side though.  When not camping it lives on my kitchen stove.  It gets a lot of use.

i had possibly the  best damn burger i've ever had at the dunes 2 weeks ago on a blackstone. never seen one before but man it was great lol.

still thinking about it lol!

Started with a 28" w/lid and fold up stand for the motorhome a year or two ago.  End up using it at least a couple times a week at the house but it was a bit too small when cooking for the family or trying to keep a lot of different foods going.  Found a 36" patio version on CL over the summer and haven't touched the grill in months. Have done everything from breakfast to burgers to steaks on it.  Big thing for me was finding ones with good fold up lids vs the tray cover that some have. 

I love my pitboss. Best burgers I have ever made, sausage and peppers and damn near anything else. I will smoke steaks for 30-45 minutes on my pellet grill then finish them on the griddle. Wife swears they are better than any of the high end steak houses we go to. 

BB023B26-5B53-429D-8A93-C7CB033A3B43.jpeg

580940BA-FB49-493A-BE97-794DCC756A74.jpeg

I have a Lodge cast iron reversible griddle that I put on an old two burner Coleman camp stove.  I only use the flat side though.  When not camping it lives on my kitchen stove.  
I use one at Glamis.  Got a slightly larger one too.  But want a big gridddle for home and cooking multiple things at once.  

I've got a PitBoss smoker and love it.  I also know their customer service is top notch.

20211112_065217.jpg

I have a 22'' Blackstone on my bbq cart for camping, keep it in the enclosed. Brother in law has a 17'' (too small, only 1 burner). I have a 32'' gas grill at home, 1/2 of it has a flat top, the other 1/2 is grill grates. Thought about getting a 36'' on a cart for home. Fried rice, breakfast, everything else that's been said. 

I did make some aluminum sides for wind guards, you can see them in the pic. It helped a lot, I was losing heat when the wind blew.

I still like my BGE with lump charcoal for steaks.

There is another mfg on the market called Loko cookers, worth a look.

If you already have Pit Boss and know their customer service then that's a great reason to stick with them.

2DC7F250-4C77-4DA0-B0EB-023378622B68.jpeg

4B536383-4442-49BD-82FC-00D7F186984F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the same 22" blackstone that matt86m has. Absolutely love that thing. Ours doesn't have the lid though.

Might be worth waiting for black friday deals. 

Check walmart online too for deals and mistakes. They had a 22" model on sale for $99 a couple years ago. 

If i was in the market again i would start watching youtube videos. You can pick up a lot of good info just watching them use the griddle. Doesnt have to be a review or comparison. Can also pick up random cooking tips. Lot of these guys who make omelets will fold it over and pull it off still wet. To me it looks gross. But they say it continues to cook. Im not really a big fan of omelets its just an example of a cooking tip i picked up watching griddle cooks on youtube. The guy Brian who cooks at glamis a lot posted a video once of him making an omelet. Sure enough he flipped it over wet, pulled it off and onto a paper plate. I think he worked in a restaurant for years and must be a breakfast pro on the griddle. 

Im a lefty. I dont think i personally would enjoy the drip tray being on the left side. My blackstone has a tiny drip tray hole in the back. Could be a tad bit bigger. I use wet blue shop towels to clean the steaming hot griddle. You sorta have to poke it a few times to exit the drip hole. If it was just 1/4" taller it would help. Some of the dirty water kind of gets pushed off the towel and you poke it through the hole. 

Biggest negative to the 22" Blackstone:

1. No wind blocks. (as mentioned above)

2. Rear trip tray is a bit small.

3. Side shelf could have been built stronger. 

4. Perfect size for me cooking for 1-3 people. Like you mentioned a larger size would be better for your family. 

22" blackstone.....used to be $99 at walmart....i think its discontinued and the price is way off

Once you buy one, make a new post about seasoning. I have some ideas and techniques. You pretty much use a propane or butane torch to help heat the corners and sides during seasoning. It would take a long time for the far edges and sides to reach 500F. The center only takes a couple minutes to reach 500F. 

Also i would avoid these accessories. The spatula will bend where it meets the handle. Bottle opener is nice though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-Signature-Series-Stainless-Steel-Griddle-Spatula-2-Pack/412757809

This scraper is a disappointment. Its literally convex. The edges hit the surface. I took a sledgehammer to it. Hit it hard in the center to try and make it flat. Helped a bit. But still. For their "signature series" its a look into the quality of Blackstone. I was all excited to buy them. Get it home and couldnt believe how they both failed in 2 different ways. The scraper doesnt even scrape evenly!! The spatula will bend with medium pressure.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-Signature-Stainless-Steel-5-Griddle-Scraper/225323068

I have a blackstone e series. Its electric, everywhere we camp has electricity (motorhome or campgrounds) so i prefer it. I also have a nexgrill 2 burner (looks identical to matt86m’s blackstone) and its great too, but now with the new e series i dont have to lug around propane. 

D4255F75-70DD-4839-8A8F-4783FDD9529E.jpeg

I have a blackstone e series. Its electric, everywhere we camp has electricity (motorhome or campgrounds) so i prefer it. I also have a nexgrill 2 burner (looks identical to matt86m’s blackstone) and its great too, but now with the new e series i dont have to lug around propane. 

View attachment 47493
That would be nice!!! Hmmm,,,,Honey you know how we have to drag propane with us,,,,,

Electric....hmm.  I could see some awesome benefits. Does it have a built in thermostat? The propane blackstone can get super mega hot if you walk away for 10 mins and dont have much food on it to absorb the incoming heat. 

Negative to eclectic is lack of instant BTUs. Is it a 1500w element? 

Ive been eyeing induction cookers for the trailer while camping. Use solar power during the day. Electric blackstone would be similar. 

I've been looking at all of those like you. Specifically at the 28" versions. Walmart has the 'Adventure Ready' 28" Blackstone for $194. I don't need the big ol wiz bang with air fryer and all that stuff, just a hood would be nice. I like the rear grease discharge of the Blackstone, people say the other brands seem to get clogged at times. The main issue that I've run into is why are the cooking surfaces so dang low? They all seem to be 36" high which for me being 6'5" tall feels like I'm cooking at my knees....

478DFFD3-64BF-4266-AF6D-1472C6C641C0.jpeg

I have a 4 burner Nextgrill at home, works great, zero issues.  Bought it at the beginning of Covid.  Use it all of the time.   I have a two burner Blackstone for camping, also love it.  Love the ability to cook a full breakfast without using a dish.

I have a 4 burner Nextgrill at home, works great, zero issues.  Bought it at the beginning of Covid.  Use it all of the time.   I have a two burner Blackstone for camping, also love it.  Love the ability to cook a full breakfast without using a dish.
And not make a mess in the trailer!

One thing that was not mentioned above, that blue pitboss and the E series blackstone are both ceramic coated cooking surface's. This makes a HUGE difference for even cooking temps and clean up are a breeze. Also will help with the normal rusting that always happens. 

Back