KRX or Talon, what would you pick?

I think the Talon and KRX would be pitiful in the dunes. If you are in a slower group and pace that might be one thing. But I am just a keyboard jockey watching youtube videos so what do I know. Bare minimum for the dunes would be a turbo X3 IMO. Or a Polaris turbo of some sort. Also the Talon x is only 64" wide.
I watched the Red Bull Sand Scramble a couple of months ago and saw a few “pitiful” Talons out perform other SxSs in that dune race. 

I watched the Red Bull Sand Scramble a couple of months ago and saw a few “pitiful” Talons out perform other SxSs in that dune race. 
So they were outperforming Can-Am x3s and Polaris turbo cars in the dunes? I guess I'm a horsepower junkie and even my X3 in the dunes didn't do much for me.

That has to do with driver more than the SXS.   A Talon does fine in the dunes, but it is not as good as a X3 in the dunes.  

Reactions: FOG
If I am looking for an all around trail/mountain rig that does not need to be a speed demon the Kawi would still be my choice.  The axle issue will get resolved.  

The Kawi you don't have to upgrade to larger tires immediately, the frame and suspension is beefy.  Stock suspension works really well.  Lots of storage on the Kawi.  

The Honda is a good SXS, but stock 28" tires is not going to cut it.  31"-33" tires are the sweet spot for a SXS.   

So they were outperforming Can-Am x3s and Polaris turbo cars in the dunes? I guess I'm a horsepower junkie and even my X3 in the dunes didn't do much for me.
I know how you feel. I’m still seeing my therapist because I sold my SU Sand Pro 2 mid-engine car with about 700 hp. 

That has to do with driver more than the SXS.   A Talon does fine in the dunes, but it is not as good as a X3 in the dunes.  
I agree with you on the first part.

But your definition of “good” and mine will probably be different. I’ve driven an X3 in the dunes and it’s obvious that it works fine for many people, but for me the Talon is “more gooder”.

Last edited by a moderator:

But your definition of “good” and mine will probably be different. I’ve driven an X3 in the dunes and it’s obvious that it works fine for many people, but for me the Talon is “more gooder”.
talon for us, added system 3 32in tires. 

plenty fast for us. 

1 problem with cvt cars is hearing the engine at constant rpm, gets old quick

Fair enough.   

If I am looking for an all around trail/mountain rig that does not need to be a speed demon the Kawi would still be my choice.  The axle issue will get resolved.  

The Kawi you don't have to upgrade to larger tires immediately, the frame and suspension is beefy.  Stock suspension works really well.  Lots of storage on the Kawi.  

The Honda is a good SXS, but stock 28" tires is not going to cut it.  31"-33" tires are the sweet spot for a SXS.   
The other thing I noticed in the SXS blog guys video is they knocked a tire off the bead due to no beadlock. Of course they had a tire machine right there but that would be spare tire time on the trail. Highly doubt the Kawi has that issue with factory beadlocks. Just called Temecula MS for grins and the sales guy knew nothing about the axle issues. That is almost laughable he does not know. I saw an ad for a new 2023 model at $17,500 plus fees. That becomes $23,500 OTD. 

Honestly, Right now I would not buy one unless it had warranty or for sure I knew the issue would get taken care of in the future. I have read several rear diffs needing replaced. So axles popping out for some and stuck and won't come out for others. 

[SIZE=0.8125rem]Steve Grote[/SIZE]

[SIZE=0.9375rem]Was just told by my dealer Kawasaki will not recall this issue. Dealer is being told 50 hours/600 miles and Kawasaki considers this a maintenance item.[/SIZE]

• 16h

[*]

[SIZE=0.8125rem]Matt Fayette[/SIZE]

[SIZE=0.8125rem]Author[/SIZE]

[SIZE=0.9375rem]Steve Grote[/SIZE] I was told the opposite and they stopped sales because of this

• 16h

[SIZE=0.8125rem]Kyle Miller[/SIZE]

[SIZE=0.9375rem]Mine just went in last week for the same problem....... Axle popped out couple months ago then sent it in and it toasted the whole rear diff and axles so they replaced everything and got it back 2 weeks ago and rode it 300 miles then the axle fell out again so got it back to the shop they told me there going to have a kawasaki tech come look at it this week[/SIZE]

• 1d

Welded u-joints.  :blink:  Don't drive on asphalt?  :blink:  Lot of interesting info in this video. Still overall he really likes the machine. 

Honestly, Right now I would not buy one unless it had warranty or for sure I knew the issue would get taken care of in the future. I have read several rear diffs needing replaced. So axles popping out for some and stuck and won't come out for others. 
Sales guys at big dealers generally know nothing about issues.  They can tell you about the factory specs for the vehicle.  

Looks like for the axles popping out Kawi has a fix.  They put a spacer on the axle

https://www.krxforum.com/threads/rear-axel-popping-out.4260/

well sand Shark now shows the new XP 1000 non turbo, how does this stack up to the Kawi and Hondas

Gen 2 motor?  what does that mean?

I will say I am diggin on the KRX trail edition. Big front and back bumpers with side nerf bars. Also a winch standard. Removable sport roof. And a factory sound system although not a must have. 3:17

Been looking at all the ads and found someone in another state selling a KRX with 12,000 plus miles on it. They sent this back. Really leaning towards one of these machines the more I read. 

We own 3 krx 2 of them are 2 seater and one 4 seater. I began with a rzr years ago. I will never go back! Lol I love the krx platform and the reliability. 12k miles and still has the heart of a lion!

Back