KRX or Talon, what would you pick?

Yes.

I have followed John through the dunes a number of times. I also placed a few spots behind him in a couple of EPOs.

My offer was for him to take my Talon for a ride and it did NOT include me in the car with him!  

And I have a “paid in full”  insurance policy on the car. 
So, you’re saying you need John’s help getting a new one? :biggrin:

I can't break this down as technically as some of you have, but in all the videos I have watched, including random action videos and review videos, the KRX is the more fun, exciting, and stronger choice.  All SxS's will break eventually.  You just need to purchase the one that makes you feel excited to sit in it and start the engine.  For me, that would be the KRX.

I don’t watch many internet videos but spend a fair amount of time in the dunes. I have never driven a KRX so I don’t have any experience there. 
However, I have duned with a couple and had to wait for them to catch-up. 
I like the fun and excitement of the Talon 6 speed transmission that I can either paddle shift or let the computer shift for me and never break a belt. The Talon Is also very nimble, which makes it a kick to drive, but that’s just my opinion from driving a number of SxSs and sand cars over many years. 
The KRX is big and looks beefy.   And I will admit that it looks very impressive.
However, the Honda Talon did finish first in it’s class at the 2022 KOH. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/snw/d/santa-monica-2020-kawasaki-krx-100/7586763262.html

00e0e_g0tCiH13Stj_0CI0sk_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,  thinking about buying a 2seat of either of these SXS above.  it will never be used for sand, (or if it does, for putting around in stock trim for the wifey)  maybe a baja adventure and other destinations in the US

does one stand out better than the other for my purpose?

I hear the KRX is super strong (suspension wise) and of course i like the Green, but maybe the Honda has other advantages?  

also is there a new model of either that will be coming out that would be a game changer to wait (no speed jokes please)
John, I recently sold my X3 and I am already looking at UTVs again. lol. Same deal, I do not want it for the dunes at all. Desert and mountains only. One thing I did not like about the X3 in the rocks was how far down you sit in the car and visibility. So I have been looking at older Polaris 1000s and really not thrilled about that route. Then I started looking at the same machines as you. I don't recall the Honda 1000x vs 1000r getting mentioned. Here is a great video with some in car and opinions. I will say that drivetrain looks like a lot of fun to drive. Engine braking also sounds to make it a very different experience than a belt. The Honda certainly has my interest peaked.

https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/2019/difference-honda-talon-1000x-talon-1000r  (Older article and not really sure the differences of the newer cars. Trying to keep my budget lower)

14 hours ago, FOG said:

Here’s the video from the next day in the Talon 1000R. 

After watching that video I would have to go with the r model for sure. It is very appealing to me to be riding easy down a trail and not having the motor screaming all the time due to the CVT. If I remember correctly my 2018 can am X3 had 15 to 16 inches of ground clearance. The talon has 13 from reading online. I know with that car we got into a lot of places where we were dragging the skid plate over rocks. So that is one concern. They say those tires are specifically from Honda only which is interesting. Of course going to taller tires is going to change the gear ratio. 161 lb lighter on the talon and versus the Kawasaki but yet still heavier than a can-am. What year did they come out with the live valve suspension on these cars? Has anyone driven a regular two and a half inch Fox setup versus the live valve setup? How much better is it?

Oh and the other question is I believe I heard six speeds each and low range and high range. Can you shift from low to high range on the fly?

Still kind of thinking the tires on the Honda are too short and ground clearances too low for some of the stuff we ride. So I went over and joined the Kawasaki krx Facebook page. Interesting someone posted on there it looks like Kawasaki might be doing a stop sell because axles are sticking and not coming out. They are saying axles have to come out and be greased every 50 hours. All kinds of issues with this being discussed by many different people. So maybe not quite so bulletproof. Maybe a Polaris isn't looking so bad.

After watching that video I would have to go with the r model for sure. It is very appealing to me to be riding easy down a trail and not having the motor screaming all the time due to the CVT. If I remember correctly my 2018 can am X3 had 15 to 16 inches of ground clearance. The talon has 13 from reading online. I know with that car we got into a lot of places where we were dragging the skid plate over rocks. So that is one concern. They say those tires are specifically from Honda only which is interesting. Of course going to taller tires is going to change the gear ratio. 161 lb lighter on the talon and versus the Kawasaki but yet still heavier than a can-am. What year did they come out with the live valve suspension on these cars? Has anyone driven a regular two and a half inch Fox setup versus the live valve setup? How much better is it?
Not sure about some of your comparisons. The lightest X3 I found on their website was 1546 lbs. dry. The Talon R is about 10 lbs. heavier with all fluids and a full tank of fuel. So the Talon would weigh less than the X3 dry.
That same X3 has 14” of ground clearance with 30” tires.  I don’t know why Honda put 28” tires on the Talon, but I’m putting 32” tires on mine for the dirt.  I also have a Jackson Racing turbo on mine that not only tunes the motor but also the transmission. With the tuner you select 28”, 30” or 32” tires. 
I have driven both live valve and regular shock Talon Rs in the dunes. Is it night and day, no. But there’s enough of a difference to be noticeable.  However, IMO the bigger difference is in going to new springs. 

Not sure about some of your comparisons. The lightest X3 I found on their website was 1546 lbs. dry. The Talon R is about 10 lbs. heavier with all fluids and a full tank of fuel. So the Talon would weigh less than the X3 dry.
That same X3 has 14” of ground clearance with 30” tires.  I don’t know why Honda put 28” tires on the Talon, but I’m putting 32” tires on mine for the dirt.  I also have a Jackson Racing turbo on mine that not only tunes the motor but also the transmission. With the tuner you select 28”, 30” or 32” tires. 
I have driven both live valve and regular shock Talon Rs in the dunes. Is it night and day, no. But there’s enough of a difference to be noticeable.  However, IMO the bigger difference is in going to new springs. 
Well I thought I saw 1700 and something pounds for the talon and somewhere

So that was the 1000 x 4 seater weight I had seen at 1735lbs. Yes Talon 2 seater is 1545.  KRX is 1896 lbs and 351lbs heavier! That is a lot of beef. Take a talon and strap on a trx450r quad for the same weight.  :omg:  No wonder so many people complain about them being down on power. Here is the post that was on the KRX FB page. As far as ground clearance I am pretty sure when I had my shock therapy valving done to the x3 it had 16" ground clearance. It seemed way high the one time I took it to the dunes. That was the way they said to set it up. Tires will change the gear ratio and I imagine Honda has that all designed with the trans and only 104 hp. Certainly could see taller tires affecting the car a lot. Good to know on the shocks. My budget will be a used car and most likely not have it. 

Public service announcement krx1000 owners please remove your axles every 50 hours and grease them I have just been approved by Kawasaki to have my transmission repaired after having my axle stuck after 1500 miles I do believe they are discontinuing sales until they can figure out why this is happening they said they will complete the repairs but I must grease my axles every 50 hours of driving I'm thinking of using a marine Grease because that dissipates water they did not inform me of what type of grease to use but I'm glad they're standing up and taking responsibility for this issue if you are handy and have access to the parts you could probably do the repair over a weekend with $600 worth of parts minus the new axles so keep your machines greased and rolling good luck

Reactions: FOG
This video explains the KRX, it is mostly used in this area for Trails, Rocks basically what i would want one for,  

under standing strength where it is needed, i was sold on the KRX after this, 

Watch the full video, sold me on toy for the rocks and the trails 

I would highly recommend that you drive them before you make your decision. A friend of mine owns both a 2020 Honda talon and a 2021 KRX. I’m a big fan of Honda products, but the KRX blows the Honda out of the water in ride quality. The Honda ride is extremely harsh, which is unfortunate because I like the transmission and the fact that it has no belt. 

I read @FOG and @onanysunday recent comments, and I was wondering what your opinion is if I buy a new Talon 1000X, and go to the dunes with it STOCK, without upgrading anything except buying sand tires.  How do you think it would perform?

Like @onanysunday I'm thinking about trading in my Can Am and buying something new.  But mine isn't an X3, it's a 2017 XC 1000R, the only SxS I have ever driven in the dunes.

Honestly I'm thinking about the KRX, the Talon 1000X, and the Wolverine RMAX 2 1000 Sport.

I read @FOG and @onanysunday recent comments, and I was wondering what your opinion is if I buy a new Talon 1000X, and go to the dunes with it STOCK, without upgrading anything except buying sand tires.  How do you think it would perform?

Like @onanysunday I'm thinking about trading in my Can Am and buying something new.  But mine isn't an X3, it's a 2017 XC 1000R, the only SxS I have ever driven in the dunes.

Honestly I'm thinking about the KRX, the Talon 1000X, and the Wolverine RMAX 2 1000 Sport.
I think the Talon and KRX would be pitiful in the dunes. If you are in a slower group and pace that might be one thing. But I am just a keyboard jockey watching youtube videos so what do I know. Bare minimum for the dunes would be a turbo X3 IMO. Or a Polaris turbo of some sort. Also the Talon x is only 64" wide.

1 hour ago, J Alper said:

This video explains the KRX, it is mostly used in this area for Trails, Rocks basically what i would want one for,  

under standing strength where it is needed, i was sold on the KRX after this, 

That video is awesome, thanks for the heads up  now im really leaning to the Kawi  i dont need to go fast and the beef is awesome on that machine!

Just read all the comments on the Kawi axle issue. All I can say is wow. It is a problem. They are going to need to do a recall. 

Back