KRX or Talon, what would you pick?

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Hello all,  thinking about buying a 2seat of either of these SXS above.  it will never be used for sand, (or if it does, for putting around in stock trim for the wifey)  maybe a baja adventure and other destinations in the US

does one stand out better than the other for my purpose?

I hear the KRX is super strong (suspension wise) and of course i like the Green, but maybe the Honda has other advantages?  

also is there a new model of either that will be coming out that would be a game changer to wait (no speed jokes please)

KRX has much nicer suspension and is a great trail/cruiser.  Comes with decent tires and lots of storage.  Very nice SXS.

Honda Talon suspension is harsher, but quicker than the KRX.  Obviously no belt to to deal with the Honda.  You can do sport shift or just leave it in auto. 

Both are good UTVs for what you want to with them.  I would sit in each and see what is more comfortable for you and your wife.  

You’re welcome to take my Talon for a ride. It’s not stock, but it’s not a sand rail either. 
I promise that you won’t break a belt. 

we chose talon because of the trans

the ability to short shift at cruising speeds is pleasing to the ears

Honda Talon suspension is harsher

that can be fixed, we all know that guy

Love Kawi, I think the KRX is the best all around, I had a nice mild built Teryx back in 09, hated belts. Got a YXZ 5 years ago, never would go back to belts of any kind, I would vote for the Talon

I have a KRX and love it. Can’t speak to the Honda but for the mountains and rocks I wouldn’t trade my KRX. I’ve never been through a belt on the Kawi or really anything else. Mine does have long travel and some aftermarket goodies but the engine is stock l. The amount of room inside is awesome plus the storage options in the back are great also. I was planning on a supercharger but since I got my Pro R I don’t really need anymore power in the KRX. 

CD558C78-C6BB-4F15-93CA-7D2CBFF5E2E3.jpeg

BA4E5DF1-DADF-49D2-A958-4B97F8B389E2.jpeg

I have a KRX and love it. Can’t speak to the Honda but for the mountains and rocks I wouldn’t trade my KRX. I’ve never been through a belt on the Kawi or really anything else. Mine does have long travel and some aftermarket goodies but the engine is stock l. The amount of room inside is awesome plus the storage options in the back are great also. I was planning on a supercharger but since I got my Pro R I don’t really need anymore power in the KRX. 

View attachment 52930

View attachment 52931
awesome ride!

The KRX has a ton of cab heat.  If you're going to be using it in warmer environments, go with the talon.  The KRX is a nice machine, but there are quite a few things I dislike about them.  On the other hand, the Talon is nice too.  A lot sportier than the KRX out of the box.  Ride quality definitely needs some attention off the showroom floor. Talon would be my pick far before then KRX. :ez:

Love Kawi, I think the KRX is the best all around, I had a nice mild built Teryx back in 09, hated belts. Got a YXZ 5 years ago, never would go back to belts of any kind, I would vote for the Talon
Out of curiosity Darkjuju, would you trade your YXZ for a talon for the new technologies, or because its a Honda, or some other reason, or not at all?

Can I PM you about the YXZ sometime?

Sorry, back to topic.

@Blue horse When I bought my YXZ the intent was big turbo since that was really the only platform at the time (2016) that was making that kind of power, I have sense put 2x(+) the purchase price into it, fixed the suspension issues added LT, transmission/clutch upgrades to handle big HP, and built the motor plus all the other normal safety stuff. I don't think I would trade my YXZ for a similarly built Talon but I have also never driven one.  I purposely built this for the dunes and Johnson Valley/Desert I rarely see Talons in the dunes. I don't think I could ever give up a 3 peddle car for paddle shifter but if Honda ever put out a car with a clutch I would consider it. Ping me any time.

are there any main differences (or great upgrades) in the 2020 through the 2023 model year of the KRX? 

View attachment 52930

View attachment 52931
what year is this one? and are there new upgrades since this year?

Have you seen how John drives? :igor:
Yes.

I have followed John through the dunes a number of times. I also placed a few spots behind him in a couple of EPOs.

My offer was for him to take my Talon for a ride and it did NOT include me in the car with him!  

And I have a “paid in full”  insurance policy on the car. 

Ok I'll bite. Tuning suspension, I get to sit in a lot of SxS's. I own a 4 seat talon. The KRX is Better in several aspects.. The Talon is better in several aspects. I 'll list my thoughts on each.

Talon:

Strengths:

Talon 1. Its a Honda, make sure it has oil, gas and clean air and short of stupidity it'll get you where you need to go. Frank at FATCO told me on the last tour we did with him,that he's never had a Talon break down on tour. That's saying something... 2. Trans, Its fun to drive, and really can have 2 different personalities as to how it drives. Its pretty torquey so it can be short shifted and keep the rpms lower, or can be paddle shifted and driven very spirited. Trans is very efficient in that HP for HP, it puts more of it to the ground than a belt drive car, so it seems like it has more HP than it does.. That said , it is NOT a turbo model. and needs one in MY opinion. Fit and finish are better than average.

KRX 1. Clutch is both its asset and its achilles. I don't know all the nuances, but it is smooth (its a centrifugal inside the primary IIRC).  2.pretty descent suspension out of the box, Which can be transformed into a terrain eating beast after being reworked. Frank from FATCO has a ton of miles on his KRX tour car, whos cars we tune; with something like 15K. He said its the most bulletproof car he's had yet. If there's a weakness in cars he's seen it. 2. Very spacious cab, with lots of legroom. as well as room behind the seats on a 2 seater. Frame and chassis members are beefy and look very solid. I haven't been is a 4 seater yet. .

Weakness's

Talon 1. The suspension needs help. Some models of the talon need it worse than others. The 2 seat X rides worse than a dump truck. The R is very abrasive. The 4 seat X is the best of the lot, but still has loads of room to be improved. 2. The cabin is tight, and leg room is minimal, and I'm average in height at 5'-10".  IMO the frame looks pretty flimsy. Personally never had a failure. On the talon forums,I have seen some breakage by rear swaybar location after putting in heavier bars. as well as sporadic driveline knuckle failures. Seems to be more of an issue for those that flog on them in rocks and in heavy mud. Again, I haven't had an issue yet, and have a couple K on mine. Limited rear wheel travel. While the Talon suspension does pretty good for the amount of travel it has after being reworked, the KRX is far better after it's been redone, & IMO; by a pretty wide margin. the TALON R has a pretty poor turning radius, as in "not good"

.KRX 1. Clutch (This is just what I have been told, so do your own research to confirm.) apparently the "centrifugal" portion that makes it smooth, is also somewhat fast wearing?. The KRX power wise,  is a toad. Again, it is a heavy car that is built stout, but the powerband is pretty docile. IMO It begs forced induction of one form or another. I Think Kraftwerks has a SC for it. If I owned one I'd get it... It's probably a preference thing. but there isnt a park. you put it neutral, and pull an e-brake. Again preference...  The fit and finish on the KRX is more utility like. 

These are my $.02

Yes.

I have followed John through the dunes a number of times. I also placed a few spots behind him in a couple of EPOs.

My offer was for him to take my Talon for a ride and it did NOT include me in the car with him!  

And I have a “paid in full”  insurance policy on the car. 
Will you be at dunes on superbowl week? We will be there a week from today

Ok I'll bite. Tuning suspension, I get to sit in a lot of SxS's. I own a 4 seat talon. The KRX is Better in several aspects.. The Talon is better in several aspects. I 'll list my thoughts on each.

Talon:

Strengths:

Talon 1. Its a Honda, make sure it has oil, gas and clean air and short of stupidity it'll get you where you need to go. Frank at FATCO told me on the last tour we did with him,that he's never had a Talon break down on tour. That's saying something... 2. Trans, Its fun to drive, and really can have 2 different personalities as to how it drives. Its pretty torquey so it can be short shifted and keep the rpms lower, or can be paddle shifted and driven very spirited. Trans is very efficient in that HP for HP, it puts more of it to the ground than a belt drive car, so it seems like it has more HP than it does.. That said , it is NOT a turbo model. and needs one in MY opinion. Fit and finish are better than average.

KRX 1. Clutch is both its asset and its achilles. I don't know all the nuances, but it is smooth (its a centrifugal inside the primary IIRC).  2.pretty descent suspension out of the box, Which can be transformed into a terrain eating beast after being reworked. Frank from FATCO has a ton of miles on his KRX tour car, whos cars we tune; with something like 15K. He said its the most bulletproof car he's had yet. If there's a weakness in cars he's seen it. 2. Very spacious cab, with lots of legroom. as well as room behind the seats on a 2 seater. Frame and chassis members are beefy and look very solid. I haven't been is a 4 seater yet. .

Weakness's

Talon 1. The suspension needs help. Some models of the talon need it worse than others. The 2 seat X rides worse than a dump truck. The R is very abrasive. The 4 seat X is the best of the lot, but still has loads of room to be improved. 2. The cabin is tight, and leg room is minimal, and I'm average in height at 5'-10".  IMO the frame looks pretty flimsy. Personally never had a failure. On the talon forums,I have seen some breakage by rear swaybar location after putting in heavier bars. as well as sporadic driveline knuckle failures. Seems to be more of an issue for those that flog on them in rocks and in heavy mud. Again, I haven't had an issue yet, and have a couple K on mine. Limited rear wheel travel. While the Talon suspension does pretty good for the amount of travel it has after being reworked, the KRX is far better after it's been redone, & IMO; by a pretty wide margin. the TALON R has a pretty poor turning radius, as in "not good"

.KRX 1. Clutch (This is just what I have been told, so do your own research to confirm.) apparently the "centrifugal" portion that makes it smooth, is also somewhat fast wearing?. The KRX power wise,  is a toad. Again, it is a heavy car that is built stout, but the powerband is pretty docile. IMO It begs forced induction of one form or another. I Think Kraftwerks has a SC for it. If I owned one I'd get it... It's probably a preference thing. but there isnt a park. you put it neutral, and pull an e-brake. Again preference...  The fit and finish on the KRX is more utility like. 

These are my $.02
That sums it up perfectly.

I have duned with a few Talons and they do fine.  

Back