help cv clicking loud...weird

That does not give you CV angle that give you axle angle,  

the correct way to measure CV angle is at each CV,  use a Protractor - put one side on the cv and the other side on the axle at the tightest point, 

Check each cv. then you can see what angle is what.  

When you put a angle finder on the axle it does not tell you much due to the sweep back of the axles, and if the trans is in straight, or if the trailing arms have caster camber built into the arms, 

So the CVs must be measured at each cv,  

The one i use is from lowes it works well 

View attachment 86013
You lost me at protractor….. 🤣

restarting thread, as life happens i wasn't able to do anything with the car till recently.

I measured angle at ride height and got 23deg jacked car up and spinning wheel i  got binding it took some pressure to turn a full revolution.

took axle out and wheel spins freely no problem. 

Im going to take CV apart and check for wear, what else should i look at for CV clicking, going to remeasure for axle length again  ,

any help would be greatly appreciated  thanks  in advance
23* at ride height? You need to lower your car. It clicks when you let off because the suspension unloads and increases the angle. 

23* at ride height? You need to lower your car. It clicks when you let off because the suspension unloads and increases the angle. 
This ^^^^ Your cv angle is too much at ride height. When you gas it the back of the car squats down making less cv angle and less clicking. When you let off, go over a dune, or turn the ass end comes up creating a greater cv angle and more clicking. You need to install limit straps or if you already have them then shorten them.

This ^^^^ Your cv angle is too much at ride height. When you gas it the back of the car squats down making less cv angle and less clicking. When you let off, go over a dune, or turn the ass end comes up creating a greater cv angle and more clicking. You need to install limit straps or if you already have them then shorten them.
He also has maybe an inch of droop travel before bind. 

Howe do you get 23 at ride Hight do you only have one CV? 

you need to measure all 4 CVs at the tightest point where the CV meets the axle,   

I read his comment as 23 degree when the car is off the ground, not ride height.

axles aren't in to measure back sweep, is there a way to without  them in?  i will measure all points see if its square 

when i got the car they didn't click doing Maintenace i saw wear,  installed new ones they have clicked since
Use a piece of PVC pipe as a mock up axle.

cv didn't click previous, installing new cv and boots they started clicking.  checked clocking as other have said and moved on axle still clicking

always clicks, louder on decel .  measured angle with magnetic angle finder at ride height was 23deg.   limit straps are 28" long and difficult to get on.

how could or should i measure back sweep?

ill grab a piece of pvc and use that to measure or i can just put axle in with a few bolts 

cv didn't click previous, installing new cv and boots they started clicking.  checked clocking as other have said and moved on axle still clicking

always clicks, louder on decel .  measured angle with magnetic angle finder at ride height was 23deg.   limit straps are 28" long and difficult to get on.

how could or should i measure back sweep?

ill grab a piece of pvc and use that to measure or i can just put axle in with a few bolts 
Post some pictures of the rear suspension and axle at ride hight.

23* of angle is what I recommend at full droop & like @L.R.S. I strap my car at 22*

If you have 23* at ride hight something is off and you will be destroying CV joints fast. 

if you don’t fix the axle angle issue shoot me a PM and I’ll give you a frequent flyer discount on the best CV joints in the industry 💪🏼

Maybe your new CVs need a little race prepping, light sanding deburring etc.

I agree with this.  Post pictures of the car, but the fix you haven't tried yet is to lower the rear end of the car and lessen the cv angles.  I don't know what kind of rear suspension you have, but can you take some pre-load off the coils to lower it?  Then jack up the trailing arms to compress the suspension and temporarily twist your limit straps a couple of times to shorten them.    Test drive the lowered height.  The more clicking on the deceleration is the tell.  As mentioned, that is when the rear of the car is rising and making the cv angle even worse.  

i will take pictures and video as well as measurements this weekend  

parker thank you you're  the man 

Finally got to work on the car  took videos but to large to load and tried to edit , didn't work .

Here's some  info  if measured  correctly  axle angle is 22 deg  

Shock length is 32"

limit strap is 28" 

Don't know about measuring back sweep,

But from  arms attachment to center of CV at trans is 17.5 in and wheel is 21.5 

Car is   a scorpion  I'll try and take pictures and add  next post !

You are getting closer by using the angle finder, but go to the tightest part of the angle, and it will read more, 

to much angle at ride height!

from the looks you have tension on your limit straps at ride height... With that said your limit strap is probably good.

Either adjust your coils on the shock to lower ride height or get new springs. Better to take advise from a suspension guru than myself.

you could always go with a shorter stub axle or centerboard hubs to mitigate the axle angle issue :classic_biggrin: . But this issue could be fixed with out throwing all that money at it. 

Note, CV boots look a little old, Id recommend giving @Fullthrottleguy RACE READY PRODUCTS in San diego a call and replace them before you sling grease all over your car...

Back