help cv clicking loud...weird

Shorten your limit straps and see if that lessens or eliminates the clicking. Clicks only when turning or all the time? 

Check make sure your CV bolts aren't too long. Also, I had a clicking that turned out to be my boot clamp hitting the trailing arm as it came around. After a while it clearances itself...

Check make sure your CV bolts aren't too long. Also, I had a clicking that turned out to be my boot clamp hitting the trailing arm as it came around. After a while it clearances itself...
My bolts would hit on the trans side. Had to grind off the tips of them. Kept getting them mixed up with outer bolts, so I just did them all.

It's definitely the cv clicking on throttle, off throttle they get louder . Old axles didn't click till the grease was low/ worn  added grease stopped clicking .

Reason I changed is because  I put new boots on  cv was stuck on old axles  measured to get new axles  cleaned and polished cv installed on longer axles  new grease and they click like crazy 

Pulled off the car  need to clean up but preliminary is they are off a little  both axles remeasured to be sure  cups level 22 3/4

New axles  22" old axles 21" 

Pictures aren't the best !!!
Maybe your polish job was too aggressive and the clearance is enough for them to make noise.

everything is set, how would i adjust angle?
Limit straps. I run my 934s at 22° max angle, which is conservative. But my axles are 36" long and I have 20" of travel. Going 28° would maybe give me another inch? Don't need it. 

didn't get pictures, cleaned all up reinstalled, made sure they were "phased or clocked" as been said in videos 

still clicking not as bad as previous, I'm going to try it out, bring extra grease 

didn't get pictures, cleaned all up reinstalled, made sure they were "phased or clocked" as been said in videos 

still clicking not as bad as previous, I'm going to try it out, bring extra grease 
Ok, I got to ask. What is the max CV angle on the axle? You can use a digital angle finder thingy on the axle, on level ground, ay full droop. Car jacked up enough to rest on limit strap if there is one and then what's the angle at ride height. Just curious as I've found that you can exceed their max angles really easily causing clicking. Fyi-

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I got to ask. What is the max CV angle on the axle? You can use a digital angle finder thingy on the axle, on level ground, ay full droop. Car jacked up enough to rest on limit strap if there is one and then what's the angle at ride height. Just curious as I've found that you can exceed their max angles really easily causing clicking. Fyi-
That does not give you CV angle that give you axle angle,  

the correct way to measure CV angle is at each CV,  use a Protractor - put one side on the cv and the other side on the axle at the tightest point, 

Check each cv. then you can see what angle is what.  

When you put a angle finder on the axle it does not tell you much due to the sweep back of the axles, and if the trans is in straight, or if the trailing arms have caster camber built into the arms, 

So the CVs must be measured at each cv,  

The one i use is from lowes it works well 

protract.jpg

That does not give you CV angle that give you axle angle,  

the correct way to measure CV angle is at each CV,  use a Protractor - put one side on the cv and the other side on the axle at the tightest point, 

Check each cv. then you can see what angle is what.  

When you put a angle finder on the axle it does not tell you much due to the sweep back of the axles, and if the trans is in straight, or if the trailing arms have caster camber built into the arms, 

So the CVs must be measured at each cv,  

The one i use is from lowes it works well 

View attachment 86013
True that, I get lazy and just use that stupid magnetic one. I realize at droop the cv may not be exactly vertical at a 90deg. Just trying to hear some sort of measurement here as none has been mentioned. 

restarting thread, as life happens i wasn't able to do anything with the car till recently.

I measured angle at ride height and got 23deg jacked car up and spinning wheel i  got binding it took some pressure to turn a full revolution.

took axle out and wheel spins freely no problem. 

Im going to take CV apart and check for wear, what else should i look at for CV clicking, going to remeasure for axle length again  ,

any help would be greatly appreciated  thanks  in advance

restarting thread, as life happens i wasn't able to do anything with the car till recently.

I measured angle at ride height and got 23deg jacked car up and spinning wheel i  got binding it took some pressure to turn a full revolution.

took axle out and wheel spins freely no problem. 

Im going to take CV apart and check for wear, what else should i look at for CV clicking, going to remeasure for axle length again  ,

any help would be greatly appreciated  thanks  in advance
Try jacking up trailing arm until it no longer binds and measure amount of angel. Is there also a large amount of sweep back from trans cv to outer at wheel?

Assuming that your transaxle is parallel to the center line of your frame and the drive flanges on the trans are parallel to the tube the trailing arm tabs are welded to.
Assuming your trailing arms are not bent and were built correctly. 

Assuming you do not have major amounts of back or forward sweep in your axles (poor geometry)
Check your axle length with the axle perpendicular to your drive flange.

1/2” play in axle plunge is a good starting point. 

Check axle plunge at full droop. If binding is felt shorten your limit straps to correct. If you can not correct the binding by reducing your wheel travel ( limit strap adjustment) than you have geometry issues that need to be corrected.  :peace:

axles aren't in to measure back sweep, is there a way to without  them in?  i will measure all points see if its square 

when i got the car they didn't click doing Maintenace i saw wear,  installed new ones they have clicked since

Back