help cv clicking loud...weird

Desertanddune

Reaction score
So among other things fixing. getting car ready for the season servicing CV's one was stuck on the axle. So measuring for axles,

old axles 21"

measured car  cup to cup 22 3/4

got axles 22 1/4 cleaned and polished 930CV

set it all up new grease swepco and belray  

driving around the block they click very loud  added grease didnt change 

what to do ?  change axles again , back to 21"  or???????

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Axles aren't the problem. You may have too much angle. Jack the car up and spin the wheel and feel if they bare binding. 

So among other things fixing. getting car ready for the season servicing CV's one was stuck on the axle. So measuring for axles,

old axles 21"

measured car  cup to cup 22 3/4

got axles 22 1/4 cleaned and polished 930CV

set it all up new grease swepco and belray  

driving around the block they click very loud  added grease didnt change 

what to do ?  change axles again , back to 21"  or???????

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Just checking to see if you measured the cup to cup at exactly horizontal from eachother? (Shortest point)

Is there a lot of back angle when they are at that point? 

CV orientation matters too like CV body to stars etc... big edge to small star body.

What is the angle at ride height and angle at droop? 

These are just the few things that come to mind to help solve your problem. Good luck. 

Fwiw, several years ago I put a star in backwards (not that there's a big difference).   It clicked like crazy.    I took it apart and tourney it around,  smooth as butter.    No idea what was making it click

jacked the car up wheel spins ok doesn't seem to bind axle shifts side to side about half an inch, I will double check CV assembly  im pretty sure  i assembled them correctly but you never know.  I measured straight across.

not sure what is meant by back angle?, measuring from attachment point  of rear arm  to axle at trans17 inches  at tire is 20.5

just as a thought, the older 21" axles clicked low on grease, but once greased were ok  the reason I changed is because cv was stuck and measuring for replacement axle length.

you might want to measure the angles the axels are on. some of the race prepped joints allow for a little more angle. can you duplicate the noise with the car jacked up an the tires off running. i put some adapters for the boots once and the were hitting making a noise at full droop had the srap the suspension 

jacked the car up wheel spins ok doesn't seem to bind axle shifts side to side about half an inch, I will double check CV assembly  im pretty sure  i assembled them correctly but you never know.  I measured straight across.

not sure what is meant by back angle?, measuring from attachment point  of rear arm  to axle at trans17 inches  at tire is 20.5
I know you said you assembled them correctly, I'm just curious if you "timed" or "phased" them correctly. You probably know but the relation of the inner CV to the outer CV on the axle can make a difference too. It is something that some folks forget about and just throw the CV's on the axles. 

I know you said you assembled them correctly, I'm just curious if you "timed" or "phased" them correctly. You probably know but the relation of the inner CV to the outer CV on the axle can make a difference too. It is something that some folks forget about and just throw the CV's on the axles. 
Timing, phasing or clocking CV's absolutely does not make a difference.  

It does when I think about it in my head... lol
CV- Constant Velocity.  It definetly matters for U joints.  CV's aren't U joints.  Not to brag, but I prep 20 sets of CV's a year and have never clocked CV's.  Maybe I'm just lucky.

i put them together as shown in videos from a few different sources im going to take them off car between trick or treating kids, ill take pictures and post when i can thanks 

Also, what's the axle angle at ride height/full droop? Good luck with it. 

maybe its not the cvs clicking might be a tooth missing off a gear in the trans since it was clicking before and after you changed the cvs

It's definitely the cv clicking on throttle, off throttle they get louder . Old axles didn't click till the grease was low/ worn  added grease stopped clicking .

Reason I changed is because  I put new boots on  cv was stuck on old axles  measured to get new axles  cleaned and polished cv installed on longer axles  new grease and they click like crazy 

Pulled off the car  need to clean up but preliminary is they are off a little  both axles remeasured to be sure  cups level 22 3/4

New axles  22" old axles 21" 

Pictures aren't the best !!!PXL_20231101_034239537.jpgPXL_20231101_034248887.jpgPXL_20231101_034304654.jpgPXL_20231101_034317068.jpg

Is the longer axle hitting the cup on the outside? 300m rings pretty loudly when the axle hits it. More of a thump then a click though.

Back