Ghostly Adventures from Gecko

I am surprised rigs and trailers don't get broken into. I mean when they are left like that and there is not one person around, what is stopping the hoodlums from breaking into them? Stuff gets broke into and stolen from in front of homes and businesses and storage yards. Why doesn't it happen out there where it is so remote? 

I am surprised rigs and trailers don't get broken into. I mean when they are left like that and there is not one person around, what is stopping the hoodlums from breaking into them? Stuff gets broke into and stolen from in front of homes and businesses and storage yards. Why doesn't it happen out there where it is so remote? 
One reason i wont leave my low priced stuff out there by itself.Rigs are ready to tow away can be hooked ready to go in a couple of minutes.

Can we just make this a holiday each year? That way I know when to take time off to load up on popcorn

200.gif

What I don't understand is with all the shitbags stealing chit out of storage lots etc... why not hit the ghost campers on Gecko.... nobody around..no cameras and they are like 30 min from Mexico... boom and gone.....

See what really gets me is, I can't even sleep good at night if my piece of crap toys, that are beat to hell, aren't all tied up and locked every night out in camp 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
See what really gets me is, I can't even sleep good at night if my piece of crap toys, that are beat to hell, aren't all tied up and locked every night out in camp 😆
I'm always with my stuff out here, of course I lock stuff up at night when I  go to sleep.

But I have .357 reasons why they should go elsewhere to shop. And an extra 7.62 reasons just in case.

But honestly since 1983 I have only had one situation. A couple of gentlemen in an older light blue Toyota 2 wheel drive pick up (with a doygers sticker in the rear window)  towing a flat bed came creeping slowly one night. Parked, lights out engine running, one had bolt cutters. Well I came out of the shadows with my buddies Mr Heckler & Mr. Kosh. Needless to say they were surprised, so surprised in fact they dropped their bolt cutters, ran back to their waiting vehicle and drove off rapidly. Very rude, didn't even say goodbye, barley got the doors shut and silly rabbits didn't put on their seat belts. 

But yea, locks only keep honest people honest.

I don't really do the ghost camping thing. I do lock the toys up every night. I have had a gas can or two disappear and beers from an ice chest but that's it. Like I said before and like others said, being so remote, so close to Mexico and so easily towed away, I am surprised more stuff doesn't disappear. I bet if that started happening, the ghost campers would start thinking twice. In my opinion, a $75 to $100 ticket is nothing to guarantee a good spot all season, however, if $75,000 to $100,000 worth of your toys disappear, that's a game changer. And on that note, what keeps someone from hooking one of these trailers up and towing it down the road or to the area near the ranger station by the shitter and leaving it and taking the spot? I bet the ranger's would tow it if it was left there .....

Thieves are not dumb, they are lazy.  Rolling up on a camp, ghost or not they don't know who is with whom  or who is watching from where. Even in the middle of the night the traffic of people coming and going is pretty constant.   Even the local trash that will steal out of a neighbors yard or a local storage lot don't want to drive out to the dunes and take the chance of running into a guy like Stoney.   

Then the one thing that scares thieves the most is  It's the desert and sand is really easy to dig holes in.

Also I would bet those trailers don't have toys in them. They will be shuttled out on flat beds when the people are actually there. So that is a lot of work for them to get the trailer strip it down and sell off the parts.  Easier for them to stay close to the house and steal Cats off cars.

Some nice Toy haulers sitting out there....where do I place an Ad to be that guy to occupy that empty rig?

Just let me sleep and use the toilet and I could occupy your rig for a few days...

Help me, help you..

:crusty:

This happens every year. Few citations cheaper than hauling back and forth for a lot of people. I don't see them towing any rigs due to liability of what's inside. 

I know when I have "run to the grocery store" in the past I always strapped my car down in my trailer just incase. Just a friendly tip incase anyone does get towed. 

I have spent a lot of midweek days out there since I retired. It wasn't until I retired I even tried to camp on Gecko. I surprised that the BLM is even out there during the midweek. That said there are plenty of ghost camps. last year being the worst I have seen. I have seen the shenanigans. Things most of you have no clue about. The fact is most what people will call ghost camps usually have 1 or 2 people but there are the trailer droppers with no one around for days. I've been camped next to them. I might have played games with their cones, I might even feed my fire with their wood. :biggrin:  Regardless one constant is the BLM never fallow though and never enforce anything consistently. 

We all want to camp with our friends, so to get upset at people trying to do that is hypocritical at best. Also pulling onto Gecko Rd the day before Thanksgiving looking for a spot for your group is just being stupid.

It would be a dune season without ghost camping drama, let the season begin! 

I agree with wanting to camp with friends. I agree with not getting to Glamis the day before Thanksgiving and wanting a spot on Gecko Rd. However, I think it is a little ridiculous to be dropping trailers this early and leaving them all season. That i a little overboard in my opinion.

I agree with wanting to camp with friends. I agree with not getting to Glamis the day before Thanksgiving and wanting a spot on Gecko Rd. However, I think it is a little ridiculous to be dropping trailers this early and leaving them all season. That i a little overboard in my opinion.
It kinda reminds me of the guy at the river who leaves his easy up at the sandbar... 

I always thought it would be pretty funny to drag a whole group of dropped trailers, a good ways out into the soft sand, off of the Pads. It would be quite entertaining watching the owners show up, see their trailers and think the poor guys that moved into the space they had ghosted out did it. :toofunny:  

What I don't understand is with all the shitbags stealing chit out of storage lots etc... why not hit the ghost campers on Gecko.... nobody around..no cameras and they are like 30 min from Mexico... boom and gone.....
I think cameras on RVs will become more and more common. I see a lot of positive potential for them. Besides theft, think about how many lost dogs might show up on video and give the owner hope. 

Screenshot_20211014-190400_Wyze.jpg

I always thought it would be pretty funny to drag a whole group of dropped trailers, a good ways out into the soft sand, off of the Pads. It would be quite entertaining watching the owners show up, see their trailers and think the poor guys that moved into the space they had ghosted out did it. :toofunny:  
We choose to just drag our trailers to set up camp makes nice quiet nights less traffic maybe one ranger visit a season and no worrying about finding a spot.

Back