Gas vs Diesel truck? Pros/cons

I'm currently weighing the same options. From reading this thread I do see a constant. Diesel may not be necessary, and the Ford Gas 7.3 seems to be good. 

Still loving this truck.  Did my first "long" haul this weekend with just an open trailer and bikes to Glamis.  Literally did not feel like I was towing anything.  Up OR down Banner Grade.

Biden gas hike ain't fun but being in CA still, we're all getting and going to get Fukced.  Gas, Deisel, Other and probably even electric. 

Glad I came across this thread again as I might be changing my tune about Diesel.

There is a chance my truck is going bye bye and I'll explain in another thread if it actually happens.

That being said, I am seriously considering a new GMC AT4 2500 with the 6.6 Gas motor and 6spd trans.

My trailer loaded with my can am is probably 5500 at Most!

Do I need the diesel....do I even need a 2500 series truck...No!

But, I don't think I could go back to a 1500 series truck. Too soft and drives like a car...No thanks.

That being said, I think the gas version would do right well!

Doubt the mileage will compare. Towing I get 12-14. Freeway is 19-20's, around town is 14-16.

I love my truck and I love the power of the diesel and the torque...but the new ones have the 10 spd trans which says Allison but actually isn't an Allison trans. I'm hearing problems with them around the 30-35K mark. Apparently GM and Ford developed this trans with insight from Allison, so they put the name on the sides of their trucks.

Diesel fuel these days are changing and expensive as Eff. Also, Don't run the Bio-Diesel as told to my by GM Technician.

They mess up the injectors and fuel rails...since it is a fuel issue, it isn't covered under warranty! :kenk:  

Def fluid, fuel filters, dual batteries, etc...it all adds up.  Oil changes are pricey unless your dealer offers the 3 for the price of 1 deal.

I think I'm gonna go test drive a new one with the 6.6 gas and see what it's all about!

:dbart:
If I were looking at a gas 3/4 ton the monster Ford V8 would be hard to pass up.  I know your a chevy guy, but maybe you will step up and get a Ford with the V8.  Your new X3 deserves it.  LOL!

They are using the Ford V8 in motorhomes. 

got 100k on my 2020 duramax no problems so far. absolutely love the power get a smile every time i hit the gas

Still loving this truck.  Did my first "long" haul this weekend with just an open trailer and bikes to Glamis.  Literally did not feel like I was towing anything.  Up OR down Banner Grade.

Biden gas hike ain't fun but being in CA still, we're all getting and going to get Fukced.  Gas, Deisel, Other and probably even electric. 
Did I miss it....what did you end up getting?

related subject  -  I am looking a new 1/2 ton  - Don't really tow anything but an open trailer and occasionally the 20ft enclosed.  Moho tows the trailer most of the time.  

Not sure which way to go .. always been a Chevy guy and 3/4 ton, owned F250's on the ford side, the new Rams supposedly are tough and ride well. some have Diesel offering as well

Friends are saying wait for the biggest newly redesigned 2023 Colorado ZR2 with 7.8K towing and 430HP 2.7L  - is that even a consideration?

@Rockwood

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!

So you went with the Diesel.

Congrats!

When posing next to your fly-ass-ride, you're not supposed to completely cover up the rimz.  Rookie.

DSCF1797-800x800.jpeg

Test drove a new 2022 GMC SLT 2500 HD with the 6.6 Gas motor.

I didn't even have to get on it (It's new, not gonna romp on the go pedal) but could definitely feel the power and what amazed me was how light the front end felt. Same size tires and rims as on my truck, so it wasn't a case of larger tires vs smaller tires.

My diesel....well that motor is heavy and could really feel the difference with the gas.

We'll see what happens...nothing gonna happen soon that's for sure, but have been curious and just might step away from the diesel.

With what my trailer weighs, I don't even need a 2500, but love the bigger truck.

related subject  -  I am looking a new 1/2 ton  - Don't really tow anything but an open trailer and occasionally the 20ft enclosed.  Moho tows the trailer most of the time.  

Not sure which way to go .. always been a Chevy guy and 3/4 ton, owned F250's on the ford side, the new Rams supposedly are tough and ride well. some have Diesel offering as well

Friends are saying wait for the biggest newly redesigned 2023 Colorado ZR2 with 7.8K towing and 430HP 2.7L  - is that even a consideration?

@Rockwood
I was in the same scenario, ended up with F150 3.5 ecoboost.  I tow my 24ft box with buggy in it around town no problem.  I I was going to make a Glamis trip, I would add air bags or weight distro to the set up.  Power and braking no issues.  I also wanted a truck I could flat tow behind Moho, so the F150 fit this bill

@Rockwood
That is a small truck to be towing a 20' enclosed.   Just get a 1/2 ton truck.  They all ride really nice. Both Ford and Toyota have nice twin turbo V6 motors that have great hp/tq and would tow you 20' enclosed no problem. 

Back