Gas vs Diesel truck? Pros/cons

Just picked up my 2013 Chevy 3500 from the shop. $780!!! DEF sucks! Stick with gas if you don't need to haul heavy.

I love my '11 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Duramax/Allison) and it's been an exceptional truck... but it's also been deleted since about 5k miles (approaching 130k miles now).  I'll always have a diesel truck around, even though I went away from 5th wheel toy haulers, I still have heavy enclosed trailers and I'm sure another stacker is in my future.  If I was buying a new truck right now it'd be a 6.7 PSD F450 just to future-proof moving around a big stacker w/o having to always use the RV.  Ford is the only brand that gives you a greater-than-one-ton truck with a real bed, so that kind of settles that.  

Now, that said, I was recently looking at both Ford and RAM HD gassers.  Without going way down a rabbit hole, I have a small offroad trailer and do a lot of off road camping (*cough*overlanding*cough*).  I was thinking about replacing the current Grand Cherokee + trailer setup with just a regular cab, long bed HD truck with a Fourwheelcampers slide-in pop-up camper.  I didn't go that route after all, but the specs on the new gassers, especially the Ford 7.3, are impressive.  The RAM has the nicest interior (though I think Ford is re-doing the Super Duty interiors for '22 or '23) but the Ford wins in drivetrain (7.3 and 10 spd vs. 6.4 and 8 spd).  

Unfortunately Chevy/GMC just aren't in the game for me at this point, just too ugly and the interior is way, way behind.  And I'm a "Chevy guy".  

Anyway, for your use case I'd be looking at a F250 w/ the 7.3 gasser probably.  You don't need to pay $10k more for a diesel to pull a little single-axle. 

-TJ

I have had both. 

If anyone tells you that you must have a diesel. 
They don’t know chit. 
If anyone tells you that gas is the way to go they also don’t know chit. 

The correct answer can never be made as a one size fits all solution. 

Depends on

Daily Driver? 
How much are you towing?

How often will you tow?

Do you have to tow at 75mph up hill? 

New or Used? 

Tolerance for costly repairs?

with out knowing the above I can tell you this. 

Over 13k often diesel. 

My 6.7 powerstroke gets the same mileage my 6.4Hemi got. 

Gas, 1/2 ton. Ram or Ford right now. If just your usual flatbed with quads, tent and a cooler: 2.7 Ford ecoboost has plenty of power, especially with the 10 speed. Chevy cylinder deactivation AND DI is going to be problems eventually, either from gummed up intake ports or lost cylinder deactivation lifters. Ford added port injection to solve the gumming, Ram 1500 is still port injection and their cylinder deactivation is a little more robust. Hemi has exhaust manifold issues, but at least that doesn’t take the motor with it.

Ford “ecoboost” is eco or boost though. Drive it like a grandpa, good mpg. Use the turbos, terrible mpg. 

Buy used, set a budget stick to the budget get the best truck for the money you can find.  You need 4 full sized doors and 4WD other then that buy what you get the most truck with the money you have available. All three of the US trucks are great just stay away from the 6.4 FORD, Even the Yota is a great truck and will last.  Lets face it this truck will take your girls and all of there girlfriends to events and school more than they will take you to Glamis. Thinking your buying the last truck you will need at your age is foolish.

Just picked up my 2013 Chevy 3500 from the shop. $780!!! DEF sucks! Stick with gas if you don't need to haul heavy.
i just did a fan clutch, rear shroud, thermostat and temp sender and doing it myself in my 05 SD was over $800

Gas, 1/2 ton. Ram or Ford right now. If just your usual flatbed with quads, tent and a cooler: 2.7 Ford ecoboost has plenty of power, especially with the 10 speed. Chevy cylinder deactivation AND DI is going to be problems eventually, either from gummed up intake ports or lost cylinder deactivation lifters. Ford added port injection to solve the gumming, Ram 1500 is still port injection and their cylinder deactivation is a little more robust. Hemi has exhaust manifold issues, but at least that doesn’t take the motor with it.

Ford “ecoboost” is eco or boost though. Drive it like a grandpa, good mpg. Use the turbos, terrible mpg. 
I have a 3.5 in my '19 F150. Commuting to work I average 24mpg. We did a round trip from Norco to Vegas to Havasu and back home Saturday and I was @ 23 with an average speed of 80mph. 

I have a 3.5 in my '19 F150. Commuting to work I average 24mpg. We did a round trip from Norco to Vegas to Havasu and back home Saturday and I was @ 23 with an average speed of 80mph. 
Nice!

And by grandpa, I mean accelerating.  Cruising on the freeway, they're great.  Towing or leadfooting it...  Not so much :biggrin:

Nice!

And by grandpa, I mean accelerating.  Cruising on the freeway, they're great.  Towing or leadfooting it...  Not so much :biggrin:
Towing does suck for sure. Doesn't matter if it's the boat or enclosed, it drops to 12. I may as well use the diesel at that point

Towing does suck for sure. Doesn't matter if it's the boat or enclosed, it drops to 12. I may as well use the diesel at that point
Uses 87, has early 2000s diesel torque, but so quiet my buddy used to try to start his when it was running all the time. :biggrin:

Did yank his 24' race trailer around without issues.  3.5 mucho brazo.

Reactions: GBR
My wife and I are throwing around the idea of a new/er truck.  

Currently, we have a 1500 that has been lovely.  We are considering a larger, possibly diesel truck.   

We do not have a specific need as far as heavy loads or trailers.  Just the idea of buying a truck for longevity, strength and potential for hauling larger cargo. 

As of now, we only haul a single axle open trailer for Glamis.  ZERO plans for a toy hauler or larger unit with big vehicles.   But would like the ability to pull a vehicle, trailer, equipment, if needed.  Especially with a move out of California always in the works.

Please. Pro's / Con's of gas vs diesel.  This could be my last truck purchase.  
I just jumped into a diesel for the first time. If I wasn't towing a 40ft pig I would still be gas. I towed it for ~3 years with a 02 GMC 8.1L gasser but the 5mpg towing on a 26gal tank was killing me, not to mention the extended cab vs crew cab and the boys don't fit in the back anymore, taking two cars anytime we drove it. It was time for a new truck either way. We still have the GMC, Evan is driving it until I get the Wrangler back on the road. Eric is now driving my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi with 210k miles on it... were it not for the big ass toy hauler I'd have another Dodge 1500 but 4wd this time, and consider that to be my last truck purchase ever.

2018 Chevy 2500 HD/Duramax LTZ, before that was 2004.5 Chevy 2500 HD/Duramax LTZ and had 240,000 miles on it before selling in 2018.

I love the diesel and its my daily driver. I tow a 16' box trailer that probably weighs 4000 lbs loaded, but I don't mind having WAY more truck than I need.

BUT....There is a possibility down the road of going to a nice toy hauler, so I would want the truck I know can tow it.

To each there own. Honestly if I wasn't planning on going to a larger trailer down the road I would seriously consider the Toyota Tundra, but they get horrible mileage.

For me, once having the diesel, it would be hard to go back to a gasser especially a 1500...

I had a loaner for about a week when my truck was at the dealer for some warranty work...they gave me a new 1500 Silverado, I hated it!

Couldn't wait to get my truck back...plus I just love my truck!

None of this means a hill of beans to you, but it's just where I am coming from.

Oh and like stated earlier about prices...HOLY EFF BOMB!!

Took my wife's car to the dealer for an oil change and I was walking around the lot to see what was out there. There was a 2017 2500 HD Duramax LT, same color as mine, but only the LT so standard rims and I don't think had heated/cooling seats, or heated steering wheel, and some other things missing that don't come with the LTZ...well it was stickered at $68K.... :kenk:  

That is a year older than mine and USED, is stickered $2K higher than mine was brand new in 2018.   :simrak:

WTF?????

FWIW, the 2022 Tundra is all new from the ground up. New twin turbo V6 with new 10 speed trans and coil spring rear suspension. The engine and trans have been used in other vehicles of course and all the SUVs have had coils for the last 30 years but I would steer clear of a first year vehicle from any maker, even Toyota. I don't think it would leave you stranded but small issues are bound to pop up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, the 2022 Tundra is all new from the ground up. New twin turbo V6 with new 10 speed trans and coil spring rear suspension. The engine and trans have been used in other vehicles of course and all the SUVs have had coils for the last 30 years but I would steer clear of a first year vehicle from any maker, even Toyota. I don't think it would leave you stranded but small issues are bound to pop up. 
Only bummer about the 22 Tundra is they left a couple square inches on the front not dedicated to grille…

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Really feel like they lost an opportunity to win the Grille Wars by not going with the concept:

980A5C85-20D5-45C3-95CA-E87AC0CB63F1.jpeg

:biggrin:

GM 2500HD with either the 6.0 or 6.6 gas, depending on if you’re looking at new or used. Or the F250 7.3 gas. Unless you have the actual need for diesel power, it’s not worth it. It’s a huge investment just to get that option that will take YEARS to even out when it comes to possible fuel economy gains. Not to mention the likely troubles with the overly excessive emissions systems down the road.

Also, given how long you tend to hold onto your vehicles, avoid turbo gas engines. The heat from the turbos literally cooks everything under the hood eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Tundra in the hybrid would seem to be a good choice.   Lots of hp and tq. 

Glad I came across this thread again as I might be changing my tune about Diesel.

There is a chance my truck is going bye bye and I'll explain in another thread if it actually happens.

That being said, I am seriously considering a new GMC AT4 2500 with the 6.6 Gas motor and 6spd trans.

My trailer loaded with my can am is probably 5500 at Most!

Do I need the diesel....do I even need a 2500 series truck...No!

But, I don't think I could go back to a 1500 series truck. Too soft and drives like a car...No thanks.

That being said, I think the gas version would do right well!

Doubt the mileage will compare. Towing I get 12-14. Freeway is 19-20's, around town is 14-16.

I love my truck and I love the power of the diesel and the torque...but the new ones have the 10 spd trans which says Allison but actually isn't an Allison trans. I'm hearing problems with them around the 30-35K mark. Apparently GM and Ford developed this trans with insight from Allison, so they put the name on the sides of their trucks.

Diesel fuel these days are changing and expensive as Eff. Also, Don't run the Bio-Diesel as told to my by GM Technician.

They mess up the injectors and fuel rails...since it is a fuel issue, it isn't covered under warranty! :kenk:  

Def fluid, fuel filters, dual batteries, etc...it all adds up.  Oil changes are pricey unless your dealer offers the 3 for the price of 1 deal.

I think I'm gonna go test drive a new one with the 6.6 gas and see what it's all about!

:dbart:

Glad I came across this thread again as I might be changing my tune about Diesel.

There is a chance my truck is going bye bye and I'll explain in another thread if it actually happens.

That being said, I am seriously considering a new GMC AT4 2500 with the 6.6 Gas motor and 6spd trans.

My trailer loaded with my can am is probably 5500 at Most!

Do I need the diesel....do I even need a 2500 series truck...No!

But, I don't think I could go back to a 1500 series truck. Too soft and drives like a car...No thanks.

That being said, I think the gas version would do right well!

Doubt the mileage will compare. Towing I get 12-14. Freeway is 19-20's, around town is 14-16.

I love my truck and I love the power of the diesel and the torque...but the new ones have the 10 spd trans which says Allison but actually isn't an Allison trans. I'm hearing problems with them around the 30-35K mark. Apparently GM and Ford developed this trans with insight from Allison, so they put the name on the sides of their trucks.

Diesel fuel these days are changing and expensive as Eff. Also, Don't run the Bio-Diesel as told to my by GM Technician.

They mess up the injectors and fuel rails...since it is a fuel issue, it isn't covered under warranty! :kenk:  

Def fluid, fuel filters, dual batteries, etc...it all adds up.  Oil changes are pricey unless your dealer offers the 3 for the price of 1 deal.

I think I'm gonna go test drive a new one with the 6.6 gas and see what it's all about!

:dbart:
It's 6.2 gas engine and 10 speed trans in the 2022s.

The new 10 speed Allison is legit, and the power/torque from the L5P is impressive. This is our 4th Duramax. I would never go back to a gas powered truck.

Screenshot_20220815-151524_Gallery.jpg

Back