Freshening a turbo J35

Hammond_fab

Reaction score
The engine is a j35a4. The blocks sleeved stock crank. H-beam rods, cp forged pistons, and a set of heads loaded with ferrea valves and supertech springs and retainers. I ported the heads about 10 years ago. 

We freshened the engine up at the beginning of the season. And cheaper out on an oil pump (possibly what bit us in the ass). So I’m going through measuring all my tolerances again. Hopefully these cure the oil pressure issues. 

Finding reputable machine shops is difficult. 

1D1C4939-0639-4BC3-A4B0-9A93106B933F.jpeg

09175E55-E497-40F7-8F2C-A8107BF6505B.jpeg

E2FB65B4-B0EC-4890-9326-6B1C2F137A34.jpeg

D7D1F241-BA7C-4A29-BDE4-E23CD4C9D7CF.jpeg

Gotta love those Japanese tolerances. 

What was the reasoning on not using an OEM oil pump?
We used an OEM oil pump from an engine that we grenaded. It only had 15 minutes on it (stock engine on a spicy built engine tune) thought we cleaned the pump out but must have had damage…

We used an OEM oil pump from an engine that we grenaded. It only had 15 minutes on it (stock engine on a spicy built engine tune) thought we cleaned the pump out but must have had damage…
I had the same thing happen to me. Used a supposed experienced tuner and he thought 22 degrees of timing was ok for a stock bottom end. Motor lasted for about 20 minutes before it made a rod look like  question mark.

My engine builder used Waynes in Riverside for all the machine work on my block.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really should consider a closed deck block with those boost numbers
The sleeves were rated for 43 psi that doesn’t mean that they can’t shift in there. The service was done by LA sleeve about 10 or so years ago. 

I had the same thing happen to me. Used a supposed experienced tuner and he thought 22 degrees of timing was ok for a stock bottom end. Motor lasted for about 20 minutes before it made a rod look like  question mark.

My engine builder used Waynes in Riverside for all the machine work on my block.
Them spicy tunes can create a lot of crankcase ventilation 

I’ve been wanting to give Wayne’s a go. I need to see what kind of turn around they have. 

What happened to the engine? did you wipe out main or rod bearings? 

What happened to the engine? did you wipe out main or rod bearings? 
Yeah main bearings were starting to show some serious wear. But crank looked good still, got lucky 

Where there any sounds or noises that led you to thinking the bearings were going bad?
It was more of an oil pressure issue that I couldn’t quite pin point and it was burning oil. So just decided to pull it and see what was going on with it. 

Back