For Next Sand Car - School Me

Dockmaster

Reaction score
So starting to think about my next sand car build or purchase and would like some input please. I’ve owned two BFD Revo mid engine cars. Great cars, no complaints. I’m ready to move up into a higher level car but my first issue to decide is do I stay with a mid engine car? I’m thinking I should as I like the slot car handling feel and more importantly I have no interest in a wheelie machine. I’m sure there are rear engine cars with awesome handling but what about the wheelie issue? I’m thinking somewhere in the 700-800 hp range likely so are most rear engine cars going to be difficult to keep the front end down? I only a need/want a 2 seater if that matters.And I’m referring to both on flats and when pulling a larger hill. 

And if the answer is to stay with a mid engine, why are there so few mid engines offered? 

Reactions: FOG
And if the answer is to stay with a mid engine, why are there so few mid engines offered
Hard question to answer, but I feel that once owned it's all you will ever want. At least for me it is.

I can't take the whoops hard (still trying to dial in new suspension though) - but small jumps, dunes, perfect. LS3 525 crate engine for me, only pulls wheels up if i pull hard from 1st to 2nd...2000ish lb car, more horsepower would be pointless for me - but if the car was 2500 lbs or so, then maybe.

View attachment 92423

I can't take the whoops hard (still trying to dial in new suspension though) - but small jumps, dunes, perfect. LS3 525 crate engine for me, only pulls wheels up if i pull hard from 1st to 2nd...2000ish lb car, more horsepower would be pointless for me - but if the car was 2500 lbs or so, then maybe.

View attachment 92423
 My LS3 Revo was similar. 1800 lbs and 510 hp. I could make it pull the front wheels if I really wanted to but otherwise it wasn’t an issue at all. I will surely go with a longer wheelbase and a bit larger car next which will be heavier. 

Alumicraft has a nice 2 seat mid engine. Freind has one with close to 1000 hp. It will pull wheels slightly but does it ever go.

Depends on the size of the car,  my car has a Iron Block at 750 hp and it will only willy with a clutch kick over a roller,  It is a DD prerunner chassis all boxed arms,  A tatum TRX2 going to be around the same weight

Just Farmer, new owner of SCU is a 2 seat rear engine, 

Last edited by a moderator:
Id say stick with what you like. Maybe try and find a Mid eng with a longer wheel base.  I'm in the middle of building a brand new Arvisu @Hondo mid eng car 128" wheel base. 

My rear engine, 2 seat makes 700+ RWHP and will obviously wheelie when you want, but it's actually not a challenge to keep the nose down and the handling is amazing.  Of course, it is a Funco soooo...

-TJ

My rear engine, 2 seat makes 700+ RWHP and will obviously wheelie when you want, but it's actually not a challenge to keep the nose down and the handling is amazing.  Of course, it is a Funco soooo...

-TJ
I would do a Funco in a heartbeat but for the wheelie concern. Just about every video I see of them running shows them doing wheelies. If it’s easy to keep the nose down why can’t the guys racing at the drags keep their nose down? They clearly are not trying to pull a wheelie in many cases. 

I would do a Funco in a heartbeat but for the wheelie concern. Just about every video I see of them running shows them doing wheelies. If it’s easy to keep the nose down why can’t the guys racing at the drags keep their nose down? They clearly are not trying to pull a wheelie in many cases. 
When people know they're on video they wheelie intentionally.  The only Funcos that tend to go down the drags are the ones making 1200+ wheel HP.  My good buddy's new GTU (which, along with his F9 is for sale, BTW) makes a legit 1200+ RWHP (I have the video somewhere, I think it was more like 1280+) and will even keep the front mostly down at the drags.  Here's it making passes, barely lofting the tires:

416346898_18411423979046675_1729439975475053240_n.jpg

When I make smooth passes at the Road Runner Estates drag strip I have to provoke the car to get mine to wheelie, though sometimes it will drive into a bit of a 5th gear wheelie on its own (but not a tail-dragger, more like the pic above).  In the dunes sure I can wheelie if I want, or put the power down if I want.  But hey wheeling down a big bowl is pretty darn fun...

-TJ

2 seat Funco hustler refit to a G52.  750Hp slot car.  Subi 6 cyllider that sounds like am F1 car.  Have to force the front wheels off the ground.
Exactly.  Almost the same HP I make, also in a remodeled G52 and not just a wheelie machine.

-TJ

McDowell here in San Diego, has a new-ish 2 seat Alumicraft that is amazing.  IIRC he said it is his favorite car he has owned. 

I think the biggest thing is making a list before you shop of all your must haves, would like to have and dont care for. Then go from there.

Back