Desert dynamics questions

mine is technically a dual sport chassis but it was built with a few of the prerunner attributes, such as 1 3/4 tubing with 1 5/8 braces, boxed rear suspension pivot tube, the big inner uniball mounts in rear, raised mid rail on the chassis. bare chassis with arms and spindles was 17k in 2008.

2008 boxed rear arms and lower fronts, tubular upper fronts. 1 3/4" TIG welded chromoly. List price for the frame was $7.5K according to the title. "Torsion housing" has major gusseting on the bottom. I had another similar one a couple years older that had upper and lower boxed front arms and a super tall roof.

Right side view.JPG

Front view.JPG

2008 boxed rear arms and lower fronts, tubular upper fronts. 1 3/4" TIG welded chromoly. List price for the frame was $7.5K according to the title. "Torsion housing" has major gusseting on the bottom. I had another similar one a couple years older that had upper and lower boxed front arms and a super tall roof.

View attachment 23085

View attachment 23087
mark waderkings old car. that chassis was actually mine but in typical dave fashion he over promised, so i took the next chassis to be built.

attached are some pics i took of this car when built.

buggy_alum_018.jpg

buggy_build_003.JPG

cash.JPG

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

P101s0244.JPG

P101s0245.JPG

P1010s243.JPG

P1010144d.JPG

P1010146s.JPG

P1010147s.JPG

P1010148s.JPG

P1010149s.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add to the confusion, my last car was a DD sand car chassis.  1.5" all chromoly but I added the "prerunner or dual sport" front arms and 2" hollow spindles.  So I wouldn't trust arms and or spindles as the deciding factor.  To the unknowing, I could have easily thrown dirt tires on it and sold it as a different chassis.  All of the above info is great.  It's basically the dimensions and material of the chassis itself that is important

arms.jpg

IMG_6687.jpg

Just to add to the confusion, my last car was a DD sand car chassis.  1.5" all chromoly but I added the "prerunner or dual sport" front arms and 2" hollow spindles.  So I wouldn't trust arms and or spindles as the deciding factor.  To the unknowing, I could have easily thrown dirt tires on it and sold it as a different chassis.  All of the above info is great.  It's basically the dimensions and material of the chassis itself that is important

View attachment 23448

View attachment 23449
kind of, but not really,  the Rear Cage is completely different, 

kind of, but not really,  the Rear Cage is completely different, 
I was thinking the rear cage changed after like 07 or 09.  Mine was a 2006.  All of the more recent cars have the newer rear cage. Who knows

I was thinking the rear cage changed after like 07 or 09.  Mine was a 2006.  All of the more recent cars have the newer rear cage. Who knows
All the Sand cars have the same cage, they never changed it, 

All the Sand cars have the same cage, they never changed it, 
hey jason, do you have the info on the updated front geometry dave did before he went mia? i know you did it to your old car, but alas.. all that info is now gone form the site 🤬

hey jason, do you have the info on the updated front geometry dave did before he went mia? i know you did it to your old car, but alas.. all that info is now gone form the site 🤬
One of the guys in our group bought a DD car with Boxed arms  - of who knows which model - but the geometry was messed up - the car rubbed everywhere and handled like crap, it was bear in the dunes  - Kevin McMullen straightened the car out  and now he says its a dream to drive  dunes and desert

One of the guys in our group bought a DD car with Boxed arms  - of who knows which model - but the geometry was messed up - the car rubbed everywhere and handled like crap, it was bear in the dunes  - Kevin McMullen straightened the car out  and now he says its a dream to drive  dunes and desert
how was it messed up?

how was it messed up?
I did not measure the car, but the upper and lower arms had the UNI balls too close to the arm (arm was too wide too close to the Uniball) and when he turned the Brake Caliper would scrape up and down on the arm and  "catch" on the arm - it ripped one of the calipers off in the desert.  If he turned hard the other way the tires would rub.  If you cycled the front wheels up and down without the shocks,  the steering wheel would move back and forth - which told me the tie rods and arms were not inline. It also had pretty bad bump steer

I thought it was just wrong wheel offset when he said it was "rubbing" until I looked at what was rubbing.  I looked for good pics  but can't find them.

Only pics  I could find were from the video

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 1.44.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 1.46.42 PM.png

He brought it to Kevin McMullen and Kevin said "someone" messed with the car possibly trying to straighten it out  - he named a GD member, but I won't name him. But Kevin said he had the Jigs and remade the Arms moved the rack, and fixed the issues  - it was not cheap but it was safe to drive after that

It was the only DD with lower Boxed "J: arms  I ever saw so I don't know it it was from Dave like that of not 

I did not measure the car, but the upper and lower arms had the UNI balls too close to the arm (arm was too wide too close to the Uniball) and when he turned the Brake Caliper would scrape up and down on the arm and  "catch" on the arm - it ripped one of the calipers off in the desert.  If he turned hard the other way the tires would rub.  If you cycled the front wheels up and down without the shocks,  the steering wheel would move back and forth - which told me the tie rods and arms were not inline. It also had pretty bad bump steer

I thought it was just wrong wheel offset when he said it was "rubbing" until I looked at what was rubbing.  I looked for good pics  but can't find them.

Only pics  I could find were from the video

View attachment 23504

View attachment 23505

He brought it to Kevin McMullen and Kevin said "someone" messed with the car possibly trying to straighten it out  - he named a GD member, but I won't name him. But Kevin said he had the Jigs and remade the Arms moved the rack, and fixed the issues  - it was not cheap but it was safe to drive after that

It was the only DD with lower Boxed "J: arms  I ever saw so I don't know it it was from Dave like that of not 

My car has boxed "J arms" but no issue(s) that you mentioned above. Not sure if the arms was original to my buggy or not. I'm the the original owner.

E775843E-.jpg

My car has boxed "J arms" but no issue(s) that you mentioned above. Not sure if the arms was original to my buggy or not. I'm the the original owner.

View attachment 23506
Your car has always had those arms. It was in my camp 10+ years ago. One of my favorite DDs

Here it is in 2016 I believe

IMG_1692.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know who makes j arms for 06 dd 1 1/2 car problem .im having is tires hit lower arm, so i dont get full steering also running a howe rack hope info was enough

Back