Desert dynamics questions

Does anyone know who makes j arms for 06 dd 1 1/2 car problem .im having is tires hit lower arm, so i dont get full steering also running a howe rack hope info was enough
Run a small wheel spacer like 3/8" - 1/2" thick

Does anyone know who makes j arms for 06 dd 1 1/2 car problem .im having is tires hit lower arm, so i dont get full steering also running a howe rack hope info was enough
depending on wheel offset and tire diameter  they will hit what ever arms are the car. there was usually a stop placed on the steering rack rams to limit the turning depending on who built the car. 

thought the updated bulkhead was boxed deal with the upper pivots being wider than the lowers?
yea your right it is wider than that car, 

my old car that i purchased the new bulkhead for from Dave has the wider spread,  i am still in contact with the owner i wll get the spread and the height of the bulkhead, 

yea your right it is wider than that car, 

my old car that i purchased the new bulkhead for from Dave has the wider spread,  i am still in contact with the owner i wll get the spread and the height of the bulkhead, 
i "think" i recall the dimension but am not positive. had all that stuff saved in im's before the site crash.  think it was 14 1/2? 15?

im redoing my car now and plan on updating the bulkhead.

your buddy does not have the updated bulkhead 
thats likely  - you know the DD's for sure -  I am not sure how Kevin McMullen fixed the car - but he didn't change the bulkhead.

I am assuming by your info - someone "upgraded" the arms but not the Bulkhead and that caused the problem

I did not measure the car, but the upper and lower arms had the UNI balls too close to the arm (arm was too wide too close to the Uniball) and when he turned the Brake Caliper would scrape up and down on the arm and  "catch" on the arm - it ripped one of the calipers off in the desert.  If he turned hard the other way the tires would rub.  If you cycled the front wheels up and down without the shocks,  the steering wheel would move back and forth - which told me the tie rods and arms were not inline. It also had pretty bad bump steer

I thought it was just wrong wheel offset when he said it was "rubbing" until I looked at what was rubbing.  I looked for good pics  but can't find them.

Only pics  I could find were from the video

View attachment 23504

View attachment 23505

He brought it to Kevin McMullen and Kevin said "someone" messed with the car possibly trying to straighten it out  - he named a GD member, but I won't name him. But Kevin said he had the Jigs and remade the Arms moved the rack, and fixed the issues  - it was not cheap but it was safe to drive after that

It was the only DD with lower Boxed "J: arms  I ever saw so I don't know it it was from Dave like that of not 
This is my old car I bought it the way it was. The previous owner had Fusion Off Road do some work on the bulkhead and upper front shock mounts. The arms and spindles are original from DD as it’s a true DD dual sport 1 5/8” chassis that comes with boxed lower and rear arms and to clarify DD never made a “J arm” they are Leading Edge arms. The only J arm I seen Dave make were on the trophy trucks he built.

i found some pics of a version of the newer bulkhead. im currently making this change to my car.

IMG_1413.jpg.9ac5112c2e510da0947a1bbeed890efa.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg.223ee5b14c313f22703dc0a131dfce59.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg.1550e7b50e9bea34b0aa0ce99f847082.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg.b345add182e410eab41556a9e18bf50c.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg.bbe8a61d77bc3f43b2f55699123bd9e3.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg.14d46c8e7895edfe7d8a7beb2fa3a7f4.jpg

This is my old car I bought it the way it was. The previous owner had Fusion Off Road do some work on the bulkhead and upper front shock mounts. The arms and spindles are original from DD as it’s a true DD dual sport 1 5/8” chassis that comes with boxed lower and rear arms and to clarify DD never made a “J arm” they are Leading Edge arms. The only J arm I seen Dave make were on the trophy trucks he built.
Most people call that type of arm a J arm because its not true A-arm   - the upper arms that are curved to clear the shocks are also called J-arms by lots of people - Mosebilt and a few others have used those.  I personally like the lower arm design like that for strength, but its true they do not ride as well as a true A-arm

Nice car overall By The Way - he loves the car with fixes on the front end 

Most people call that type of arm a J arm because its not true A-arm   - the upper arms that are curved to clear the shocks are also called J-arms by lots of people - Mosebilt and a few others have used those.  I personally like the lower arm design like that for strength, but its true they do not ride as well as a true A-arm

Nice car overall By The Way - he loves the car with fixes on the front end 
Understood but in the off road real world this is a J arm. I’m glad he’s happy with it. I really wish I could’ve bought it back as I had the opportunity but I just couldn’t swing it as why I’m just building my Buggyworks. 

BE310E7A-0A1A-4265-B052-1B9EACA85DEA.jpeg

Is this Alpers old car?
no clue.. luckily i saved them when they were posted as all the info posted was lost on this site. wish i had saved all the pm's as there was some really good info i had gotten from a few people here.

Is this Alpers old car?
Yes

i will go next week and get dimensions, sorry that original bulk head was cut out by dave,  Car was sold to a good friend i will everyone measurements next week, 

or if they need one cut out i can cut some out,  

Anyone know where I can get a replacement front windshield? I have the fiberglass windshield frame that many of his cars came with. I think I was told those frames take a “cut-down” 1971 dodge duster windshield??

Back