Can Am 2022 model line up.

NIKAL

Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the added 5hp YUUUUGE?!??!!

I mean it's not 300hp, but at least it's an even 200hp now!

Sure was nice of them to take time to tell us all aboot the new canams eh.  Thoose guys give it all for the orginazation 100%

Not impressed with the latest version. I’ve got a 2017 X3 XRS so I’m waiting on the “game changer”

Considering they are selling them like hot cakes and don't have many sitting around at the end of the year, changing things up isn't a good idea.

To go and change the game and try something different is a risk they don't have to make just yet.  Until a Unicorn appears on top of the hill they don't have to do much to keep sales going up. So it's minor tweaks to a proven platform for now. 

Even once the unicorn appears and spreads it's magic fairy dust all over the number of them will be so small that it won't impact their bottom line. Only thing to make them do something different will be when the big three make a real run at the hill top then Can-am and Polaris will start releasing game changing designs. Until then it will be improved graphics and spectacular colors with some minor tweaks

From what I recall, the video stated it had a 30% thicker cage resulting in a 13% increase in torsional rigidity.

After looking into the claims of the new X3 having a thicker roll cage tubing and the chassis being 30% stronger, the lower A arms being stronger, the rear radius rod mounting support being stronger, the “Double Sheer” outer rear hub assembly. This car has to have gained a substantial amount of weight just because of this, not including the bigger, heavier tires that are standard now on all trims. 

Looking up the specs of a 21 X3 base model , and RC RR vs. those same trims in 22 and I find out both model years weigh exactly the same? That’s impossible? Even for CARB the cars will have to be weighed as part of the recertification. 

So either Can Am is not honest on the specs they advertise for their vehicles, which is a No, No! Or as they might claim if called out, “a typo” Or they are not honest with the claims of all these strength improvements? 30% stronger chassis for Can Am is a huge number. I hope they will share and prove these claims? 
Was thinking the same thing. 
And what about the crazy amount of bump steer those cars have, was that at all addressed?

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking into the claims of the new X3 having a thicker roll cage tubing and the chassis being 30% stronger, the lower A arms being stronger, the rear radius rod mounting support being stronger, the “Double Sheer” outer rear hub assembly. This car has to have gained a substantial amount of weight just because of this, not including the bigger, heavier tires that are standard now on all trims. 

Looking up the specs of a 21 X3 base model , and RC RR vs. those same trims in 22 and I find out both model years weigh exactly the same? That’s impossible? Even for CARB the cars will have to be weighed as part of the recertification. 

So either Can Am is not honest on the specs they advertise for their vehicles, which is a No, No! Or as they might claim if called out, “a typo” Or they are not honest with the claims of all these strength improvements? 30% stronger chassis for Can Am is a huge number. I hope they will share and prove these claims? 
I don't think Can Am has updated the specs on the website.  30% thicker roll cage puts the thickness around .085, which is a big improvement.  I am still trying to figure out what they did to the frame.  Maybe thicker gussets or a few more gussets.  It is hard to tell.  The claim the frame is 13% more rigid, which is a good thing.  Less flex and maybe less cracks.

The rear knuckle is actually pretty nice and the double shear of the middle radius attachment point was needed.  Good news is the new knuckle will bolt right up to the existing models.  So no need to spend $800 on ZRP fancy rear hubs.  Trying to find out if they increase the bearing retaining clip and if they went to the bearings the racers were using. 

Adding thicker material to the lower a-arm should result in not needed to replace or gusset it.   I am not sure if you saw they changed the rear pull plate. It is thicker and now has 4 additional bolts holding it the frame.  

The additional 5hp is not big deal other than to say they will be the first to market (as in customers hands) with a 200hp car. 

Offering 32" tires was needed on for the RR models.  The also are giving you a nice tire.  The Carnivore is a good tire. 

I am curious how this new clutch will work as it is taken from their snowmobiles.  Allegedly faster acceleration and smoother.  

Overall I think Can Am did a decent job of improving the X3.  I was not expecting some mind blowing new platform yet.   I was told Can Am has something in the pipeline.  So maybe some point next year or the year after. 

What I do like is Can Am has hit all the price points with the 200hp model.  You can get a DS (64" model) for $21,999 and a RS (72") for $23,799.  

Here is a picture of the rear knuckle and the new radius rod pull plate.

pull plate.png

knuckle.png

Was thinking the same thing. 
And what about the crazy amount of bump steer those cars have, was that at all addressed?
The bump steer can vary from car to car.  My 2018 was horrible and I had to put on a bump steer tire rod kit.  It helped a lot.   Not sure on my 2021 as I have not driven other than around the block.   Shock Therapy has a newer kit that comes with multiple spacers to fine tune.  

Did you mean Kawasaki KRX, 4 seat? If so I think the KRX would make for a great 4 seater. I do think they would have to bump up the power. Does not have to be Turbo’ed (would be nice) but it will need more then 113 hp. This could be what holds them back? I did hear Kawasaki is committed to the sport market and we could see something else from them for a 2023 model? 
haha, yes the KRX.  The 2 seat is a beast for general offroad and rock crawling for what it is.  We did a trip to moab and the Teryx 4 and the KRX were everywhere.

I'm very impressed with what Can Am is doing in 2022.  I feel that regarding the X3 they are finally improving the things that needed to be improved for 4 years.  But I'm waiting to see what the list prices are.

Back