Blown Head Gasket

Ha, it keeps getting better! I got a call from McDowell, transmission needs an R&P, main bearings, 2nd gear, & 3rd gear. I just replaced the clutch during off season.  Might as well add everything else. 

New motor and a new transmission… anybody know a good divorce lawyer? I think I’m going to need one… 
my wife said she’s going to drive the car from here on out and I need to go back to a motorcycle. 
Didn't you get it from her brother? Make sure to mention that...  Then duck  :biggrin:

Didn't you get it from her brother? Make sure to mention that...  Then duck  :biggrin:
Ha!  I did, my brother in law actually, and the cool part was he said he’d take care of the transmission.  
But honestly, no need, I begged him to sell the car to me. I’m a man, (most the time) I can take care of my own. I just told him to pour me an extra strong one next time and we’re good. 

my wife was actually pretty cool about it too. She will make me pay later and she told me so, but she was cool about it at the time.
the only problem now is I still only have less than 2 weeks to get it back together before the next trip. 

Ha!  I did, my brother in law actually, and the cool part was he said he’d take care of the transmission.  
But honestly, no need, I begged him to sell the car to me. I’m a man, (most the time) I can take care of my own. I just told him to pour me an extra strong one next time and we’re good. 

my wife was actually pretty cool about it too. She will make me pay later and she told me so, but she was cool about it at the time.
the only problem now is I still only have less than 2 weeks to get it back together before the next trip. 
Always best when it's a family activity. 

And how I would've handled it too.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't give him chit for it whenever the opportunity arose. :biggrin:

Always best when it's a family activity. 

And how I would've handled it too.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't give him chit for it whenever the opportunity arose. :biggrin:
Oh no, 100% on that! Gotta give him a hard time otherwise we’re not family. 😎

How are you going to find parts, especially a R&P, for your trans in your two week deadline? If you need it that quick you might need to go buy one of the complete trans for sale on Race Dezert. 

How are you going to find parts, especially a R&P, for your trans in your two week deadline? If you need it that quick you might need to go buy one of the complete trans for sale on Race Dezert. 
Not my scope of work. The guy building the transmission finds the parts. It wouldn’t be much of a business if he didn’t have the parts. In fact I think my transmission is almost done.     I hope that doesn’t come off rude sounding, just the facts. 

I think most machine shops charge about $500 to put a sleeve in a block pretty common,   

Not my scope of work. The guy building the transmission finds the parts. It wouldn’t be much of a business if he didn’t have the parts. In fact I think my transmission is almost done.     I hope that doesn’t come off rude sounding, just the facts. 
LOL - didn’t take it as rude sounding at all. Glad it is getting done quickly for you. Was just a few weeks ago that folks were posting they were waiting months for some trans parts, especially R&P. I do recall Weddle posting that parts were starting to come in. 

I think most machine shops charge about $500 to put a sleeve in a block pretty common,   
It’s got 2 different cracks in 2 cylinders. He said the block was pretty worn out. It bummed me out, that had been a really good motor. 

It’s got 2 different cracks in 2 cylinders. He said the block was pretty worn out. It bummed me out, that had been a really good motor. 

if the parts are good and you still want to use them, then the 5.3 block is a better block and stronger aluminum casting, it can be bored to 3.898'' 

Not to be rude, but you must be new to all of this?

Last year, people were waiting 6-12 months for transaxle parts.

It seems to have gotten better, but I don't know of a trans building that stocks a ton of parts, too much overhead and every ones gear box is a little different.

I have a buddy with a 5 speed Albins that has been waiting on a 3rd gear for 2 years.

Granted, older style Albins, but wow.

I personally have a spare R&P, 2nd and 3rd gear just so I don't have down time.

Bearings/seals etc are easy to get.

It seems to have gotten better, but I don't know of a trans building that stocks a ton of parts, too much overhead and every ones gear box is a little different.

I have a buddy with a 5 speed Albins that has been waiting on a 3rd gear for 2 years.

Not to be rude, but a lack of parts is something that is all across the board, including my field of heavy equipment. That’s why I have extra pins and bushing, seals, filters, etc, for the equipment when I need them. And I can pretty much guarantee Alper stocks parts at his shop of what he regularly works on or builds.  
But hold on here. Too much overhead? Overhead is a part of business. If you don’t want overhead go work for someone and get a weekely paycheck where you don’t need to worry about that kinda stuff, otherwise expect ALOT of overhead. When I was in there he had multiples of 3 different transmissions, 2D, S4, S4D. If I brought my 2D transmission in there to someone who specializes in 2Ds, and he said he doesn’t stock those parts, I’d probably take my business elsewhere. 
If you have a spare R&P, 2nd and 3rd sitting in your shop, don’t you think he would too?? 

And if I took my transmission there and he said for me to go get my own parts, I’d again probably take my business elsewhere. 

But not to be rude… 😎

Not to be rude, but a lack of parts is something that is all across the board, including my field of heavy equipment. That’s why I have extra pins and bushing, seals, filters, etc, for the equipment when I need them. And I can pretty much guarantee Alper stocks parts at his shop of what he regularly works on or builds.  
But hold on here. Too much overhead? Overhead is a part of business. If you don’t want overhead go work for someone and get a weekely paycheck where you don’t need to worry about that kinda stuff, otherwise expect ALOT of overhead. When I was in there he had multiples of 3 different transmissions, 2D, S4, S4D. If I brought my 2D transmission in there to someone who specializes in 2Ds, and he said he doesn’t stock those parts, I’d probably take my business elsewhere. 
If you have a spare R&P, 2nd and 3rd sitting in your shop, don’t you think he would too?? 

And if I took my transmission there and he said for me to go get my own parts, I’d again probably take my business elsewhere. 

But not to be rude… 😎
Agreed about across the board issue.

Alper, I dunno.  He won't update his website about pulley covers he talks about???

Nope, I wouldn't expect a tranny guy to have a spare R&P, 2nd, 3rd for every type of transaxle out there.  That makes no sense.

3 different transaxle builders in AZ that I have used, none of them keep gears.  Bearings, seals etc.  Sure, but not gears, cases etc.

He didn't tell me to get my own parts, I don't want to miss trips, so I CHOSE to buy spare parts.  I'm not the only one that does this.

Good luck on getting your stuff running!!!!!

Season is short, sucks to be down.

3 different transaxle builders in AZ that I have used, none of them keep gears.  Bearings, seals etc.  Sure, but not gears, cases etc.

He didn't tell me to get my own parts, I don't want to miss trips, so I CHOSE to buy spare parts.  I'm not the only one that does this.
Whoa, I wouldn’t expect that. I guess that’s a pretty good idea then to keep those extra parts. Sounds like you’re hard on transmissions then too haha. 

Whoa, I wouldn’t expect that. I guess that’s a pretty good idea then to keep those extra parts. Sounds like you’re hard on transmissions then too haha. 
I actually am. Lol
I wear gears out. 

I believe McDowell has parts on hand.

Especially if you surface treat (REM, shotpeen, WPC) it before hand as well. :biggrin:

Agreed about across the board issue.

Alper, I dunno.  He won't update his website about pulley covers he talks about???

Nope, I wouldn't expect a tranny guy to have a spare R&P, 2nd, 3rd for every type of transaxle out there.  That makes no sense.

Good luck on getting your stuff running!!!!!

Season is short, sucks to be down.
As of right now we are only using them for the motors we are building, if we get caught up on cnc parts we might list them, 

I know you are frustrated with the pulley covers, but every stock style pulley is different, and if i sell it with the pulley they are made to fit our Tensioners and Alternator brackets, so to make it works with a factory setup it is just to much right now, so if the motor was in our hands we can adjust them in the lathe and mill, 

So it just does not work selling them on our site, kind of like how the LSX Acceleration the factory tensioners are different every couple of years, and then it just makes a big hassle to sell them without us installing them,  

Back