Albins carnage

Oil heater I agree with.  LOL

Some of our morning rides, it is 48F out.

Thick tranny oil is literally like molasses at that point.

I always, always warm up my trans and CV grease during cold mornings before we go out in the dunes by driving on flat ground by camp for 10-15 mins.

My tranny builder agrees with you Sean about not needing an oil pump/cooler on dune cars.

I have spoken to, and received quite a few calls or messages about this deal, and I appreciate all that have reached out! Truly I do!

Few bullet points that I think are the consensus, or have been said to me. Mind you some of this is from very reputable people that have a vested interest in Albins trans..

Most are not using a Temp switch to turn on the trans pump.

Only a few use a cooler.

Sounds like 3/4 or more of the higher horsepower (over 800) cars have pumps.

Lat 85-140 is widely used and accepted oil. So the 140wt Kendall that was installed should have been just fine.

Nobody has seen this happen before this fast.

I shouldnt be paying for it..

Yet here I am, headed out to donate a testy to pay for this repair.. 🤪

Here is a twist to this deal..

Chris at Danzio just emailed me back and said there is no way he put 150 miles on the car on the dyno. Each pull may use 4 miles, and run for 3-4 minutes at a time. His Dyno would be worn out if he ran cars that long...

I asked about the mileage on the odometer stating the 150 miles and he said that it is ran off of the gps and since it was not moving while on the dyno it would not show any mileage added on it. That perhaps the car was left on in transport from BFD to Danzio and it read the mileage...

So if the car didnt run for extended an extended period of time then what?

where was that mileage showing???? on the dash, from the ECM or on the GPS (Lowrance?)?  Interesting......

where was that mileage showing???? on the dash, from the ECM or on the GPS (Lowrance?)?  Interesting......
On the Motec dash. Coming from the built in gps. I also have a Lowrance but I don’t turn it on all the time.

Atleast I’d guess now hearing that from Danzio...

I have beat on an Albins for quite a few years now with no pump and this thing just keeps going.   Best money ever spent.

View attachment 4642
I certainly went with one hoping for the same results! I am glad yours has been reliable, and hope mine will be this time around as well!

Is it possible your ignition was left on while your car was being transported between shops? If so, it will think it’s driving and log miles on its odometer. What’s your hour meter say?

Is it possible your ignition was left on while your car was being transported between shops? If so, it will think it’s driving and log miles on its odometer. What’s your hour meter say?
Yes I believe that is what happened at this point.

They did not program engine hours into my display so I am not sure. That would be good to reference though!

Ultimately at this point there isn’t much more I can figure out. I should have the trans back any day, and nobody can really say for sure why it happened... or nobody is willing to be held accountable for it.

If it was from me then I’ve paid for it, added a pump, will run the exact oil they want and hopefully it’ll hold together. It’s about all I can do at this point.

Certainly leaves a sour taste in my mouth though... and a lighter wallet in my pocket... 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yes I believe that is what happened at this point.

They did not program engine hours into my display so I am not sure. That would be good to reference though!

Ultimately at this point there isn’t much more I can figure out. I should have the trans back any day, and nobody can really say for sure why it happened... or nobody is willing to be held accountable for it.

If it was from me then I’ve paid for it, added a pump, will run the exact oil they want and hopefully it’ll hold together. It’s about all I can do at this point.

Certainly leaves a sour taste in my mouth though... and a lighter wallet in my pocket... 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Which oil was in before?  I know in my group we all run Maxima 75w-190 that they made just for Weddle.  Sean said it was really only needed on cars pushing 1000+HP but I figured I would take the extra protection and have it eat some HP.   Friend just pulled his S4D out after 3 hard seasons in his funco with LS7 and blower. He is super abusive to that thing.  Only thing needing attention was reverse.  Rest of the trans looked great and just replacing the standard items.    

Which oil was in before?  I know in my group we all run Maxima 75w-190 that they made just for Weddle.  Sean said it was really only needed on cars pushing 1000+HP but I figured I would take the extra protection and have it eat some HP.   Friend just pulled his S4D out after 3 hard seasons in his funco with LS7 and blower. He is super abusive to that thing.  Only thing needing attention was reverse.  Rest of the trans looked great and just replacing the standard items.    
It had Kendall 85 140 in it. Funco still runs Lat 140 with great results!

I don’t think it was a wrong oil issue being it was new. Something either failed or it was starved for oil in some way as mentioned before.

Ill be running the pro gear 85 190 from here on out though.

It had Kendall 85 140 in it. Funco still runs Lat 140 with great results!

I don’t think it was a wrong oil issue being it was new. Something either failed or it was starved for oil in some way as mentioned before.

Ill be running the pro gear 85 190 from here on out though.
Kendall 85 140 is great oil and has been run in a ton of high horsepower cars in both race and play for a long time. 

You will get this fixed and have the best transaxle in the dunes.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Back