AEM ECU flooding engine

engine load should read negative at idle based on the setting he has to show engine load. what his is showing is the correct load for the idle. Its reading in PSIG and in comparion to his manual gauge, its spot on. gauge is read in in/hg, conversion shows the 21in/hg is equal to the -10ish PSIG 

the issue is elsewhere. if the stock ecu fixes this and the current aem can be ran in your car without issue, i would bet its a pin out problem at the ecm into the harness. I take it you havent tried to run his stock computer in your buggy, have you? 

They're top feeds, so dead O-rings should let fuel leak out, not in.  

I was talking impedance though: if you have it set to the wrong impedance, odd chit happens with injectors.  Long shot, but worth a check since it's a simple config change.

I'm surprised it's running at all, LOL.
I wasn't suggesting the O-rings were leaking, just that he was ordering a new set to try the used injectors I gave him.

That's not what he's talking about.  On your log page of what I'm guessing is AEM, the "engine load" says -10.2.  That's bad.

Typical idle load can be well into the POSITIVE "teens" and higher.

View attachment 16477
Ah ok thanks.  I'll check that.  I'll also check to see what mine is saying.

engine load should read negative at idle based on the setting he has to show engine load. what his is showing is the correct load for the idle. Its reading in PSIG and in comparion to his manual gauge, its spot on. gauge is read in in/hg, conversion shows the 21in/hg is equal to the -10ish PSIG 

the issue is elsewhere. if the stock ecu fixes this and the current aem can be ran in your car without issue, i would bet its a pin out problem at the ecm into the harness. I take it you havent tried to run his stock computer in your buggy, have you? 
No we haven't tried his stock ECU in my car or my AEM in his car.  But I'm at that point of trying anything to see what happens.

Well he wasn't much help.  All he kept saying is it must be condensation in the exhaust.  
I take it the raw fuel smell and flammability of that puddle rules that out for you? :biggrin:

I think he is on to something about the pinning. Did the same person do the harnesses on both cars? You might have to compare them side by side and see if there are any differences.

I take it the raw fuel smell and flammability of that puddle rules that out for you? :biggrin:
Ya just a bit.  However, just to add more complications to this whole situation.  My dad did check what was coming out the tail pipe more in depth.  I guess there is some water mixed in with the fuel.  So normally I would think blown head gasket.  But the engine runs smooth and it goes away when you put the stock ECU back in.  He is going to do a compression test and a leak down test to verify the head gasket.  If for some reason it is blow he'll replace it and see if that fixes it.

drain the coolant and re-fire. if its blown that bad, that will be a quick diag. 

if it goes away on a stock computer, i highly doubt its a HG. 

the way im seeing this, the glaring issue is the fact that between the two different computers you have 2 different ways the car is ran with everything else EXACTLY the same. in my mind, i would be looking at what ever possible difference between those computers there are and diaging that way. i really can not see how this is any kind of hard part issue outside of that. 

for different year harnesses and engines, there can be differences in pin out. 3.0 to 3.2 or up for sure.  

for different year harnesses and engines, there can be differences in pin out. 3.0 to 3.2 or up for sure.  
Not really.  There are differences IN the harness, like at the various buss blocks, but the terminals at the ECU are the same.  The 3.0 distributor harness is a bit different, but very similar.

'01 Odyssey harness/ecu is completely different, engine is the same.  I don't waste my time on those...

ETA...you can take a coil pack 3.0 ECU and run a 3.2/3.5 type harness all day.  There is no provision for a knock sensor, but it will run just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really.  There are differences IN the harness, like at the various buss blocks, but the terminals at the ECU are the same.  The 3.0 distributor harness is a bit different, but very similar.

'01 Odyssey harness/ecu is completely different, engine is the same.  I don't waste my time on those...

ETA...you can take a coil pack 3.0 ECU and run a 3.2/3.5 type harness all day.  There is no provision for a knock sensor, but it will run just fine.
interesting, ill need to look at the aem pinout sheet. as i browsed through it, there was quite a few differences between the 3.0 and 3.2/3.5 but some of that may not be related to our needs. i remember you telling me that the harnesses were interchangable, though. 

if its not a pin out issue, i would venture to say its a setting issue in the aem as far as what pin is doing what or something along those lines. maybe its a 01 odyssey harness? lol

interesting, ill need to look at the aem pinout sheet. as i browsed through it, there was quite a few differences between the 3.0 and 3.2/3.5 but some of that may not be related to our needs. i remember you telling me that the harnesses were interchangable, though. 

if its not a pin out issue, i would venture to say its a setting issue in the aem as far as what pin is doing what or something along those lines. maybe its a 01 odyssey harness? lol
There are things in the AEM that are not necessarily in the OE design that you would change pin config for..  12 injector outputs and 8 ignition outputs, Wide band O2, for example...

maybe its a 01 odyssey harness? lol
The '01 harness is COMPLETELY different.  Doesn't use any of the same ECU connectors.  You could use it as a core to wire to some other kind of stand alone, like a Fueltech.  Which is what I plan to do soon.  I have an '01 harness, and a FT450 to play with as soon as get through the current pile of harness I need to mod..

What did the tuner find?
Ok, so yesterday they found a tiny bit of fuel in the oil and one of the injectors I gave my dad was bad.  So he changed the oil and swapped out the injector.  The tuner did some file tweaks and was supposed to have it on the dyno today.  I'll post back in a bit when I get more info.

Alright , the engine is tuned and running good.  Still couldn't figure out why it was spraying all over before but with it being tuned, it is running as it should.  The tuner did have to set the RPM limit to 5100 because my dad is still using stock injectors and it was running out of fuel after that.  With larger injectors the guy said it should make about 400 at the wheels.

So I guess we'll just say it was a bad tune for his engine that caused it.  Weird that it ran on my car with no issues.

Back