3.2 -3.5 honda running issue

Yes I’m leaning towards a dyno  plugs look dark on ring on lf side and lean on rt  
This is odd. How are you running the fuel lines? In one side then a loop to the other side and back to the fuel tank? Or does it Y then through both rails, then connect together and back into the tank? 

It's probably the first, so just taking a stab and saying the lean side is the second portion? I'd check your fuel lines and rails for blockage. Wouldn't hurt to just clean the fuel injectors while your in there. Easy enough to do.

Jonathan

cut the back of cage off so i can pull plugs .. there dont look to great dark on one side of motor lighter on other injecters need a cleaning for sure welding in flanges for cage  today ..any help on plug number for none turbo j32 a2 motor.. might try a  go pro on fuel pressure reg see if its dropping off pressure ..LOOKING FOR REASONABLE DYNO SHOP TO DO A COUPLE PULLS IN SANDIEGO THOUGHT THER WAS A HONDA GU RU IN SANTEE CANT REMEMBER THE NAME ANY HELP !!!!!

Steve Dose is probably who you are thinking of. His shop caters to BMW but he is a Honda guy. If that doesn't work out and you are willing to drive Autowave in Huntington Beach also specialize in Hondas. 

There is a dude that works at H-car garage (iirc his name is chris), h3 is very good with offroad Hondas.  

4927 Cass Street, San Diego, CA. 92109

Try changing your o2 sensor.  My buddy's engine would ping but no o2 sensor codes.  It fixed the pinging issue.

just got it back together.. pulled plugs just to look checked resistance on coils all the same ..took fuel fill plate off fuel tank just to look at pic up tube took fuel filter apart it was clean.. Put another map sensor on i had ordered before  that took to long to show up.. straped a old camera on bar looking at fuel pressure  gauge went for a test and RAN PERFECT.. no issues . it started raining had to come back didnt put wipers on this thing.. i did clear all codes before drive this is what i have now  p178 clutch code  p1607 ecm internal  failure  p1298 elec load    po325knock sensor its new pined to ecm tested good ??  po141 02 heater    po something it was evap code      p1706  is a tranny code thats it if it runs good dont care about codes ..test drive this week thanks for all sugestions !!!!!!!

The knock sensor is the only concerning one, and it appears the only one you haven't replaced.  These are very delicate after 20 years of engine bay heat, and they are almost always broken with a junk yard engine.  Honda did also have a service bulletin for the early years to look out for rodent damage on the knock sensor pigtail.  I guess they made it of some soy based plastic insulation that mice love.  

Pop the intake off and check the wire going to the knock sensor.  There is about a 6" long pigtail between the sensor and the main harness.  Also check that the sensor is intact.  It's not uncommon for them to visually look ok, but once you put tension on the body it just falls off.

'

Hey @Carwashguru, if @anthony doesn't want that ECU after all, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I'm in O'side, north county SD. If not, no worries, just figured I'd check...

-Mike

You are more than welcome to it as its just sitting on a shelf in the garage.
Awesome! Thank you. If I can figure it out (this is my second post LOL) I'll send you a private message with my contact info.

The knock sensor is the only concerning one, and it appears the only one you haven't replaced.  These are very delicate after 20 years of engine bay heat, and they are almost always broken with a junk yard engine.  Honda did also have a service bulletin for the early years to look out for rodent damage on the knock sensor pigtail.  I guess they made it of some soy based plastic insulation that mice love.  

Pop the intake off and check the wire going to the knock sensor.  There is about a 6" long pigtail between the sensor and the main harness.  Also check that the sensor is intact.  It's not uncommon for them to visually look ok, but once you put tension on the body it just falls off.

'
6 14 2023 put a new knock sensor and map sensor its almost there just wont take heavy throttle in hi gear ..you can feel it holding back ,,it feels  like a fuel trim issue to me  going to put a different o2 sensor but it froz up in exhaust so im going to cut bung off and start over ,, NOcodes just car related stuff ,,i still might want a different ecm will see thanks everone for help !!!!!

I would not think O2 sensor, but I'm not familiar with how the Honda does fueling.  The fuel trims should give a hint though.  Does the Honda have a WBO2 or just a heated narrow band?  

Is this a turbo motor or NA?  If turbo is the O2 before or after the turbo?  

Also if turbo does it have the correct MAP sensor in it? 

Last edited by a moderator:
6 14 2023 put a new knock sensor and map sensor its almost there just wont take heavy throttle in hi gear ..you can feel it holding back ,,it feels  like a fuel trim issue to me  going to put a different o2 sensor but it froz up in exhaust so im going to cut bung off and start over ,, NOcodes just car related stuff ,,i still might want a different ecm will see thanks everone for help !!!!!
Since you put an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator on it, turn it up.

Is this a turbo motor or NA?  If turbo is the O2 before or after the turbo?  

Also if turbo does it have the correct MAP sensor in it? 
its a non turbo 3.2 and a 4 wire 0 2 sensor took muffler off its on darker side going to fix 0 2  try more fuel pressure i guess at some point ill just have to put on a dyno but messing with stuff my self is free and im not the kind of person to just take it somewhere been a porsche tec  for years ill keep trying  ...thanks  

so its sunday 25th latest update fixed exhaust  fixed  o 2 sensor and put a vvt solenoid on it took off had a little bobble then got on long up hill road it ran perfect pulled hard into 4th gear.. i did bump fuel press up to 50 at idle vacuum line  on ,,, so was crusing around got some gas.. engine hot now got on freeway got on it and started missing AGAIN i could drop rpm down to 3500 then pull up and right at 3800 it would miss drop down and it did it again ..can drive past it ran 4400 down freeway no issues ... i did get a new code p1399 witch is a random misfire .. NOT SURE WHERE TO GO ANY HELP thanks ........

Back