1964 Dodge A-100 Hot rod sort of rat rod build thread.

Bed is 86" and Rick says he remembers the package being around 60" from the front of the engine to the rear wheel centerline. The front of the pulleys on the AC and Alternator, PS are going to be very close to the back of the cab. It will be interesting. Not sure where the fuel tank will go. I thought it might be cool to have two tanks and two separate tunes on the motor. One for 91 premium and one for Flex 50/50 gas and ethanol. Could be done with the Holley computer.
I tracked down an old Nelson racing engines vidja where he has one tank with 91 and another with 116, his fuel management handling the mixing based on demand. I always thought it was a slick setup. 

Bed is 86" and Rick says he remembers the package being around 60" from the front of the engine to the rear wheel centerline. The front of the pulleys on the AC and Alternator, PS are going to be very close to the back of the cab. It will be interesting. Not sure where the fuel tank will go. I thought it might be cool to have two tanks and two separate tunes on the motor. One for 91 premium and one for Flex 50/50 gas and ethanol. Could be done with the Holley computer.
I tracked down an old Nelson racing engines vidja where he has one tank with 91 and another with 116, his fuel management handling the mixing based on demand. I always thought it was a slick setup. 

Pretty cool. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to Bob this morning at https://www.facebook.com/reddragonautomotive/  He builds some really cool stuff.  Talk about ahead of his time. Here is a mid engine Corvair he built in 1972! https://reddragonautomotive.com/mid-engine-corvair/  His website:  https://reddragonautomotive.com/  I posted this vid before but if you scroll to the 2:32 mark you can see he is adapting the LS motor to a vintage Saginaw 4 speed. And using cables to remotely shift it. Pretty darn cool. I think I still want the auto in the truck though. I tend to break everything I touch. 

242270630_387238389663971_4608988114007903787_n.jpg

So for grins this morning I took one of my beard seats out of the back of the funco and threw up in there. Figuring that front wheel well will have to come up at least three or four inches. Seating position is probably 9 in above the fender right now with these seats and my head is 2 in from the roof. Looking through the front glass I'm guessing my eyesight is around 3 inches below the top edge. I'm thinking I need to be able to drop that seat down 3 in. Minimum. Really don't want to have a narrow seat between the wheel wells like the guy with the corvair did. Would like to have substantial bucket seats in this thing. Might be a compromise between the front wheel size and wheel well size. This thing might have to get the poly lay back seats with just a little bit of pad in the bottom.

20220924_085857.jpg

20220924_085838.jpg

Long way off but I keep coming back to the Apex SM-10 wheels in satin bronze. SBA IMO. 295 would be big tire to stuff under the front. Would be cool.  I like the Toyos. 

Wheels 

• Front & Rear: 18x11" ET57

Available in: EC-7, SM-10, VS-5RS
  • Popular Fitment

Tires

• APEX Staff Pick: Front & Rear 315/30-18 

A minimum of -2.5º front and -1.5º rear camber suggested for best performance
  • Max Performance Summer: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (220 TW)
  • Extreme Performance Summer: Falken Azenis RT660 (200 TW), BFGoodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5 (200 TW), Yokohama Advan A052 (200 TW), Nankang NS-2R (200 TW), Nankang CR-1 (200 TW), Continental Extremecontact Force (200 TW)
  • R-Compound: Toyo R888R (100 TW), Nitto NT01 (100 TW), Nankang AR-1 (100 TW)

• Narrower alternative: Front & Rear 295/30-18 

A minimum of -2.5º front and -1.5º rear camber suggested for best performance
  • Max Performance Summer: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (300 TW)
  • Extreme Performance Summer: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect (240 TW), Yokohama Advan A052 (200 TW), Nankang NS-2R (200 TW), Continental Extremecontact Force (200 TW)
  • R-Compound: Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R (60 TW), Toyo R888R (100 TW), Nankang AR-1 (100 TW)

sm10-sbz.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Been researching a lot of rear engine stuff and came upon this build. Incredible the hours to build that car.

Talked to my buddy today that owns diamond Auto glass. Came up with a game plan to reconfigure the front and put a single flat piece of glass across it. Will need to fabricate a frame that is set back from the existing frame. Get creative and have to weld in some pieces. That alone will be a project. Then I can do center steer and two bucket seats each side of the center seat. Then I can make the wheel wells taller for the bigger tires. Problem solved. Now I have everything in my mind the way I want to build it. Just need to get a title. Waiting on Oklahoma now.

20220928_104817.jpg

20220928_104823.jpg

20220928_104830.jpg

20220928_104835.jpg

20220928_115852.jpg

20220928_115900.jpg

i believe we are about 3 months out on title 42 assignments, so i've heard, sorry

I'm real sure I'd get tired of climbing over a bucket seat twice every time I wanted to go for a cruise.

I'm real sure I'd get tired of climbing over a bucket seat twice every time I wanted to go for a cruise.
That won't bother me once I have a nice comfy seating position to sit in. Now I can put any kind of seat I want in the center.

Your comment really got me thinking. This truck is getting a full cage up front and the guy building it and I were discussing options. The left passenger seat will sit up a little higher than the center drivers seat. Chances are the left and right passenger seats will be poly seats with some good padding. Those seats lay back a little bit. One thought was engineer some sort of hinge or mechanism so the left seat can swing out and away to crawl in to the center. Then pull it in and have a lock you could reach from the center seat. Problem is there will be an angled bar covering part of the door opening. Not sure how you could engineer it. Need Will from Kindig it for that one. My other thought was to have the left seat scissor on pivots and go up and back. Problem is there will be a bar behind the seats for the harnesses. That would not work either. Then a simple solution came to mind. So you jump up in the truck and get in the left passenger seat like a regular driving seat. With a cage overhead and ease of adding additional bars, I am thinking some good grab handles and just use your arms to pull up and transfer from that seat to the middle. Same for egress. Sounds simple at least in my mind.  :closeeyes:

10522445_10152764965215645_7802559278641030004_n.jpg

Back