1964 Dodge A-100 Hot rod sort of rat rod build thread.

Doesn't look too bad.

I know it's a completely different truck but maybe there are a few tricks you can pick up.  Also, take a look at VW buses in regards to front tires, wheel tubs and door openings.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 hour ago, BENCH said:

Doesn't look too bad.

I know it's a completely different truck but maybe there are a few tricks you can pick up.  Also, take a look at VW buses in regards to front tires, wheel tubs and door openings.

OK This is beyond awesome and exactly what I said in an earlier post. Dobbertin is making the C5 suspension work by narrowing it up to fit. I have a C5z06 with 670 HP and love the car. I had that car all apart putting the dual disc clutch in so I am very familiar with it. Had to drop the entire rear cradle and torque tube to get to the clutch. So the car is gutted from the flywheel back at that point.  I would have to build my own frame to go this route. https://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=6075  $3k for both kits really is not bad. Then buy some C5 wrecked parts. Probably need to have the trans built to handle the HP. http://www.dobbertinperformance.com/ Sounds like off the shelf parts to adapt the motor to the Vette trans. This is sweet and exactly what I need. I am calling them tomorrow. Notice how close his head is to the roof. That is my only worry on this whole project. The seating position and I don't want to sit up that high.

Ton of good stuff on Dobbertins website. Tomorrow evening I know what I will be watching and reading. Bench, huge thanks for sharing this. Very likely how I will build this truck. Awesome donuts in part 9!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That Corvette IRS gets rid of your short drive shaft issue.  I really like this idea.  I think you NEED to make this happen!

Came up with a crazy idea last night. So with the engine in the back the dog house goes away. Why not do a center steer and 3 buckets? Steering, throttle, and brakes all get fabricated anyways. Then I can drop that center seat down to the right height. Passengers on either side would sit back and up higher. Kind of like a Funco as well because the passengers in the back seat sit up higher. Showed this idea to my wife and she frowned at me. haha. Does of course make it harder getting in and out. I am liking it. This lets me really do whatever I want with the front wheel wells.

2419058855_b8e4f0100d_b.jpg

A friend of mine built a truck with a V-drive, he moved away so I don't know what happened to it. He did drive it on the street, he drove it over to my house. They make a lot of different V-drives that take different amounts of horsepower. They do race blown fuel boats. DON~~~

Bob's truck.JPG

Bob's truck-3.JPG

Bob's truck-4.JPG

Bob's truck-6.JPG

I will happily take your deposit money for an S5 that I can deliver in about 6-months, maybe. 

I find the comments about staying away from CV joints and transaxles, on a board that specializes in sand rails, that utilize CV joints and transaxles, somewhat entertaining. 

The only thing limiting anyone from installing an S5 into this type of application is your budget and fabrication skills. 

I'll even go so far as to tell you to throw whatever HP you want at it. The S5 will hold it just fine in a street application. Good luck getting DOT tires to get more than 800 ft/lbs of torque hooked up. 

You should probably check with Kennedy on an adapter plate and flywheel for that Dodge motor, I don't know that they cover all of the Dodge motors and generations. 

I will happily take your deposit money for an S5 that I can deliver in about 6-months, maybe. 

I find the comments about staying away from CV joints and transaxles, on a board that specializes in sand rails, that utilize CV joints and transaxles, somewhat entertaining. 

The only thing limiting anyone from installing an S5 into this type of application is your budget and fabrication skills. 

I'll even go so far as to tell you to throw whatever HP you want at it. The S5 will hold it just fine in a street application. Good luck getting DOT tires to get more than 800 ft/lbs of torque hooked up. 

You should probably check with Kennedy on an adapter plate and flywheel for that Dodge motor, I don't know that they cover all of the Dodge motors and generations. 
Good stuff. Thanks For sure the truck with get a turbocharged 4.8 LS Based motor. S5 Sounds fun but probably to pricey for what I am going to build. The 4l65 Vette trans will have limitations for HP. Might have to keep it at 500. Still stupid fun for that small light truck.

Before even starting the 3 to 6 month bond process on the title we have to send paperwork to Oklahoma and have them research it. Ugh. She did a search in Arizona and did not find anything coming back on the VIN.

20220907_142911.jpg

With two pieces of flat front glass meeting in the center I don't see center steering working. 

6:40 is where he did those front fenderwells and exactly what I was talking about. 

5:31. lol. He has a 38" wide bench seat for two people. Hmmmm. 

At 4:18 he did exactly what I said with my drawing earlier in the thread. Cut into the door for the fenderwell.

So this could be a good option. In the video the Corvair owner said his seat is 38" wide. Which is between the custom wheel wells. He just uses some wood and cushions. Prp shows 40" wide as their most narrow seat in this model  Then also each person would not be looking directly at the center divider between the front glass. Within 2" of what his setup was and I think this would be much better. Just me and the wifey so we can hug while driving. Using a 36" yardstick with her and I we still have few inches between us. Only issue is any larger passenger with me would get tight.

Also was reading up on springs vs bags. Sounds like the bags ride nicer but springs give you more performance. Thinking I would probably never track this thing and just do bags on it. 

Why are you going to use an LS 4.8? IMO LS engines are way overused and are kind of a been there done that engine. Sure they make easy power but everyone and their brother has one in their hotrod these days. Booooring!

Since you seem to have the wherewithal to put such an abomination together, why not use something bitchin like a Dart 632 (or bigger) with a roots blower and pair of dominators? Then tub it and install some Hoosiers on a Curry diff. 

I have to admit I'm not a fan of taking something old school and installing a modern powertrain under it, I think it ruins the nostalgia of it all. Again with the LS engine, been there and done that. 

Why are you going to use an LS 4.8? IMO LS engines are way overused and are kind of a been there done that engine. Sure they make easy power but everyone and their brother has one in their hotrod these days. Booooring!

Since you seem to have the wherewithal to put such an abomination together, why not use something bitchin like a Dart 632 (or bigger) with a roots blower and pair of dominators? Then tub it and install some Hoosiers on a Curry diff. 

I have to admit I'm not a fan of taking something old school and installing a modern powertrain under it, I think it ruins the nostalgia of it all. Again with the LS engine, been there and done that. 
Cheap, easy HP with parts laying around. We tune them all day in our shop. Mileage, drivability. I certainly don't have any big motor stuff like that laying around but had thought about a big block chevy. Just hemorrhage the fuel with that kind of setup. This project will get a little pricey in the end but trying to keep some kind of reasonable budget. And keep it reasonable to drive the darn thing.  With the Corvette suspension and weight balance I am guessing this thing will handle and drive very well. Might track it at some point. I hear you on the old school stuff and think it is cool but I like this route as well. If I want full old school I will just jump into the 31. 

5.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

Screenshot_20220728-190230_Messages (1).jpg

No offense but when you say "we tune them all day in our shop", well that was my point about using something different. 

No offense but when you say "we tune them all day in our shop", well that was my point about using something different. 
No worries. Hot rodding has so many tastes and flavors. That is what so cool about it. Something for everyone. You can have a $300,000 show car sitting next to an old rat rod at a car show and more people will be looking at the rat rod.

Well this is pretty cool. The V-Dog billet unit from flaming river is $1170.00. Regular unit like shown is $800.  Looks like multiple years of the Nissan Pathfinder had the same thing. Several for sale on ebay in the $100-$150 range. More thanks to our Corvair guy. 

Nissan transfer.jpg

fla-fr20303_jl_xl.jpg

Back