1964 Dodge A-100 Hot rod sort of rat rod build thread.

Your comment really got me thinking. This truck is getting a full cage up front and the guy building it and I were discussing options. The left passenger seat will sit up a little higher than the center drivers seat. Chances are the left and right passenger seats will be poly seats with some good padding. Those seats lay back a little bit. One thought was engineer some sort of hinge or mechanism so the left seat can swing out and away to crawl in to the center. Then pull it in and have a lock you could reach from the center seat. Problem is there will be an angled bar covering part of the door opening. Not sure how you could engineer it. Need Will from Kindig it for that one. My other thought was to have the left seat scissor on pivots and go up and back. Problem is there will be a bar behind the seats for the harnesses. That would not work either. Then a simple solution came to mind. So you jump up in the truck and get in the left passenger seat like a regular driving seat. With a cage overhead and ease of adding additional bars, I am thinking some good grab handles and just use your arms to pull up and transfer from that seat to the middle. Same for egress. Sounds simple at least in my mind.  :closeeyes:

View attachment 45235
Yep, sounds as simple as changing from trailer tires to sand tires every time you load and unload your sand car. Could get old.

I have options for a daily driver.  My TBSS, mildly lifted Jeep LJ on 35s, and also mildly lifted Jeep XJ on 33s.  Both geared/lockered..   Both Jeeps require a "jump" to get in.  The Jeeps have a 50/50 chance individually between the two.  Weather is the deciding factor.  LJ has A/C, but the XJ has style points. The LJ is worse because of the rocker height.  But, the XJ is behind my RV gate.

For a while I had my brothers '86 C10 at my house.  525hp LS3/6l80, nice lowered stance, nice interiror/A/C, got the looks for sure.  Absolute BLAST to drive!!   It was also behind my RV gate.

TBSS wins most of the time for ease.  Plain and simple.....it's also fun to drive.

Expanding on the pivoting seat deal...

It was common in the low rider community to have the seats swivel out/around.  Maybe look into that.  A pm to @supremeair might get you ideas.

eta..Huh, guess Carlos didn't sign back up.  Peeps here can get you in contact with him though..

Last edited by a moderator:
In a similar cab space as the Corvair, how do you think you will fit 3 seat when this in the "comfort" of 2?

image.png

I'm genuinely not trying to burst your bubble. or denture you from building this out...I think it could be sweet!

But.....

Let's say you figure out how to go 3 wide.  "Typical" suspension seats are nearly 24" wide OA..  3 seats are too wide for a row.  Interior width is 68 "  How deep do the "door" seats have to be behind the center seat to fit the door frame?  Are you going to extend the cab?  Chopping the xhit out of the door frame?  You mentioned a cage too..  There are a couple fellas at Chuck's that have wider shoulders  Measure their shoulder width at lunch time...

You will likely have to straddle the powertrain( and steering linkage) in some aspect,.  Brake on the left, throttle on the right? Mid-engine, V-drive, etc..when you get there..  Are you comfortable with your passenger(s) having direct access to your peddles over your feet?   You plan on making power.  Big power  Power that will make you expecting passenger scared.  Your right passenger panics and make you go WFO as they slam on your foot.  You can't do a f*ckin' thing about it...

Hold on..

I'm genuinely not trying to burst your bubble. or denture you from building this out...I think it could be sweet!

But.....

Let's say you figure out how to go 3 wide.  "Typical" suspension seats are nearly 24" wide OA..  3 seats are too wide for a row.  Interior width is 68 "  How deep do the "door" seats have to be behind the center seat to fit the door frame?  Are you going to extend the cab?  Chopping the xhit out of the door frame?  You mentioned a cage too..  There are a couple fellas at Chuck's that have wider shoulders  Measure their shoulder width at lunch time...

You will likely have to straddle the powertrain( and steering linkage) in some aspect,.  Brake on the left, throttle on the right? Mid-engine, V-drive, etc..when you get there..  Are you comfortable with your passenger(s) having direct access to your peddles over your feet?   You plan on making power.  Big power  Power that will make you expecting passenger scared.  Your right passenger panics and make you go WFO as they slam on your foot.  You can't do a f*ckin' thing about it...

Hold on..
Things to think about. Right now I look at a stock truck and there are two seats and a good size doghouse. Good interior vid here. Looks like 3 seats will fit. It would have to be narrow seats and unfortunately larger persons may not fit. As long as the wifey and me fit I am good. Smaller seats will work for us. Or maybe one larger seat on the right side. Yes it will be 500+ hp. Loud, nasty, and scary is my motto for this build. I would still prefer just two seats if they will fit over the larger fenders. Poly seats like these look to be the lowest type of seat. These are 17 degree layback and I have seen seats as high as 23 degrees. I think there is a good chance of making this type of seat fit. They have precut pads like this to put in some cushion. Certainly not afraid to go this route. At a price of $40 I might just order one for grins. Going to try call OK MVD tomorrow and see if they can give me a timeframe for the first step. 

Just from reading online the Corbeau A4 has great reviews. One I want to sit in for sure. It is only 19.5" wide bottom and 21.5 top. This for my center seat. 

a4-la__45965.jpg

60091-s__53914.1587677285.jpg

The Jegs poly seat is also 21 inches wide. So you have 63" with them touching each other. Certainly a tight fit. And we have to get bars between the door and seat on each side as well. I might measure that interior tomorrow.

Weight
13 lb (5.896 kg)

Quantity
Sold individually

Recline Style
N/A

Seat Cover Color
N/A

Seat Cover Material
N/A

Seat Style
Highback bucket

Seat Layback
17 degree

Seat Finish
Black

Seat Material
Polyethylene

Height
32.25 in (819.15 mm)

Width
21 in (533.4 mm)

Depth
30 in (762 mm)

Shipping Weight:

Package Height:

Package Depth:

Package Width:

You will likely have to straddle the powertrain( and steering linkage) in some aspect,.  Brake on the left, throttle on the right? Mid-engine, V-drive, etc..when you get there..

Entire drive train will be in the back. No v drive. Regular steering shaft and wheel. Rack will be tricky but that is all underneath.

Are you comfortable with your passenger(s) having direct access to your peddles over your feet?   You plan on making power.  Big power  Power that will make you expecting passenger scared.  Your right passenger panics and make you go WFO as they slam on your foot.  You can't do a f*ckin' thing about it...

Certainly a good point and maybe a small divider coming up to the right of the throttle pedal. Keeps that right passenger from getting their foot into the throttle. 

My third party AZ place gave me our AZ form and it is wrong. OK says I need this form sent in with money. Now I need to go back and see how many of these boxes need checked. Ugg. At least OK said one to two weeks once they get the form.

Just called back and my bill of sale needs to be notarized first. lol. Back to the seller. ha

She did at least tell me over the phone they have no records for the truck. So that is good.

64 and 1/2 in wide door to door. Inside to inside on the door handles is 59 in. Although those could be re-engineered and moved or remade. It will be snug but I think three seats will fit. Guy that sold me the truck did get a notarized receipt sent out today which is nice.

64 and 1/2 in wide door to door. Inside to inside on the door handles is 59 in. Although those could be re-engineered and moved or remade. It will be snug but I think three seats will fit. Guy that sold me the truck did get a notarized receipt sent out today which is nice.
Only way three seats works in 64" is if Granny is sitting in her rocking chair in the back.  Otherwise it's just a child's seat in between the adults.. Think about it, would you put three seats in your old Can Am? and that was 72" at the tires 

200.gif

Just made a deal to buy 3 Can Am X3 seats for $125. Easy to sell and get my money back. Pick them up on Tuesday. Seller sent me this so they are similar in size to other seats I am looking at. Then I can see what it looks like. Who knows I might just run these in the truck. Price is certainly right for a ratty. A while back I actually thought about adapting the steering and running the Can Am x3 steering wheel. No rules is fun. 3 seats is becoming more appealing so I could put both my grandsons in the truck at the same time. 

The bases measure about 20.5in wide by 20in deep.

294891452_7946585982081419_2875889206195451388_n.jpg

If I ended up with a center steer setup, wondering if I could incorporate a center steer rack like  this Fortin.   In a sandrail do these setups normally work out of the box with an LS style PS pump? Seems like an easy deal since so many buggies run this package. I know on the Funco and my Nissan VQ series pump I had to have Lees change the pressures for the Funco rack.  Still would need the 90 degree V dog or Nissan adapter to make something like this work. 

The rack has 4.25" total travel and a 1.5:1 ratio
Not sure how this would compare to a street car rack. I guess at some point I can throw my z06 up on the rack and measure how much travel it has. 

Oh and what do they mean no valve control servo? Not sure what that is. 

Gas Monkey Hipo Hauler had a center steer. 

hipohauler7.jpg

hipohauler8.jpg

Instead of wood for the bed I am thinking metal sheet with dimple die holes. Then you could see the C5 running gear underneath. I like the look and will probably integrate a fair amount of dimple die throughout the truck.

7cea4a7d7534ec84b30385587cb40324--roll-bending-dimples.jpg

39389277_1890667720971279_5372034429709451264_n.jpg

161741798_10158495262078705_3692177930197445857_n.jpg

Back