1964 Dodge A-100 Hot rod sort of rat rod build thread.

and while Im giving an opinion that was not asked for.........  LOL.

I would use something like one of these to hold the sheet metal to the wood.  but probably not with the cutting bit, wood does not deal with a huge hole too well.

View attachment 99154

View attachment 99155
I spent hours looking at every screw made. Those are made for metal and not wood. It has to be a wood screw. Really wanted an Allen head with wood screw but they don't make them.  I do like the screws in the second photo but don't think they will work. 

I spent hours looking at every screw made. Those are made for metal and not wood. It has to be a wood screw. Really wanted an Allen head with wood screw but they don't make them.  I do like the screws in the second photo but don't think they will work. 
Why won't a sheet metal screw work for wood?

Grin the tip into a point and shover in thw hole.  LOL 

Shoot I don't know. That old wood is very soft and fragile. If you look at the metal screw the threads are close to each other without much bite. A wood screw the threads are a lot further apart. Maybe I'll order a box and try it.

Go to an Ace near you and look at a #12 sheet metal screw.

You might be thinking a machine screw.

I have wanted square head Allens all along and I just found them. Nice and beefy.Two weeks to get them but I ordered them.

Screenshot_20240315_165053_Chrome.jpg

Interesting ...... I guess fasteners are a personal choice. When I first designed the trim piece plasma cut to go around the back of the cab I wanted regular Allen bolts and did not think of anything else. Even the piece I just finished and installed them. Maybe I like them because they are different and used less often. Especially on this truck. Guess I will have to think about this one. Hmmm. 

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

Fabbed up and welded a cap on that corner. Looks really good. Called all over including Mark's nuts and bolts, copper state, Phoenix nuts and bolts, McMaster car, etc. Looks like those hex head Allen screws are a unicorn. I have 180 on order and we'll take two weeks to get here. Although this first of three sections I just finished the trim on has 75 screws by itself. So I will need to order some more.those little suckers are expensive.$80 for the first order that is coming. I think the blackhead with a larger screw head will pop nicely against the bronze painted trim.

20240320_111729.jpg

20240320_151703.jpg

20240320_151715.jpg

20240320_151738.jpg

20240320_151752.jpg

Front cold side tube from the intercooler to the throttle body tacked together. Hopefully build the other tube tomorrow. Need to figure out where to mount the blow off valve. From what I understand you can put it on either side of the intercooler. I will have my guy weld these up a week from saturday.

20240320_152959.jpg

20240320_153012.jpg

I've been staring at this thing for the last month and keep resisting drilling any holes in my wood for hold down hooks. Dreamed up a really cool idea to have a removable rack for the ice chest and lawn chairs. So it will be removable when I get to a car show and only have a couple holes in the side of the frame. Still designing that rack in my head but I have a pretty good idea how I want it.

20240320_153205.jpg

Also starting to design an engineer a skid plate under the fuel tank. Make it out of some 18 gauge steel with plenty of bead rolling for strength and then maybe just give it a thin 1/8 in framework when it mounts up. Not rock crawler strength but strong enough if something rolls up under the truck and tries to shoot up it won't put a hole in that aluminum tank.

20240320_153459.jpg

Fabbed up and welded a cap on that corner. Looks really good. Called all over including Mark's nuts and bolts, copper state, Phoenix nuts and bolts, McMaster car, etc. Looks like those hex head Allen screws are a unicorn. I have 180 on order and we'll take two weeks to get here. Although this first of three sections I just finished the trim on has 75 screws by itself. So I will need to order some more.those little suckers are expensive.$80 for the first order that is coming. I think the blackhead with a larger screw head will pop nicely against the bronze painted trim.
Are you looking for the black anodized ones, or just stainless?

Are you looking for the black anodized ones, or just stainless?
Black. This is what I have on order. The diameter of the head is about .300 a lot bigger than those chintzy little screws I have in there right now. I want the black to pop against the bronze. Thinking I will put the blow off valve here. Race Port valve right behind my head. Awesome.

Screenshot_20240315_164432_Chrome.jpg

20240320_155430.jpg

Back