1964 Dodge A-100 Hot rod sort of rat rod build thread.

Bags pumped all the way up it has six to six and a half inches of groun clearance. So total wheel travel will be roughly 3 and 1/2 in. What I figured. I will need to do some tweaking on the length of the bags and set all of the heights later on. At least it's on its Wheels

20230609_160508.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those bumpers are a great look for the truck.  Glad it is all coming together for you on the build.  Looking great all around.

Well it looks like you got the hard part done, should be easy sailing from here on out.  Finished by Labor Day I would think.

How are you going to get air to the heat exchangers? 

will there be shrouding around them to keep the air flowing through them & the heat out of the cabin?

How are you going to get air to the heat exchangers? 

will there be shrouding around them to keep the air flowing through them & the heat out of the cabin?
Rad and intercooler will be fed by the grill up front. Yes separated from the cab completely and basically a duct made of panels to let the air through. This has been driving me crazy how to design it. I want it really clean in the back other than the turbo mounted above the engine. Dewitts is one of our vendors and today I talked to them about the biggest baddest rad I can get. 28 1/2 wide by 20 1/4 tall core then add the tanks. Then a shroud with two 12" brushless fans to pull through. IC in the pic is just for simulation. I will buy a Garrett core and then we will weld tanks to it.  I still have to fit somewhere a condenser and engine oil cooler. Also possibly a trans cooler if the rad can't do the job. With the 3000 stall converter it will build some heat.

Headers will be set of Doug Thorley sandrail headers. 14 gauge with a 3/8 flange. I dreamed about how to build this exhaust for months. Really did not want to build a set of headers from scratch. Finally I found these and I think they will be perfect.  Cut off the 3 bolt flange and weld on a v band clamp. Then an expander on each side so the exhaust can flex. Curved pipe up and the 61mm turbo will be mounted above the engine and drain into the valley. It will get a sheet metal tall intake of some sort. Either a 45 or 50 mm Turbosmart wastegate. Also a Turbosmart BOV. http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/sandrail-4.8l-6.2l-ls-motor-mid-length-headers-(straight-back)_15741 I will leave the headers ceramic coated for the time being but at some point strip them and re-ceramic in bronze. My new bronze paint and second time around came out sweet. A lot of parts will get painted with that color. My wrong brown color left over might get used if I do metal strips between the wood pieces in the bed.

575-thy-328-cjpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have been worried about this and I was exactly right. Right now without axles if I am both the top of the shock and also the upper a arm bolts I can get the rear tire in and out. Once the truck has axles it might get real fun at that point. I'm hoping if I take the upper a arm and swing it up and in to let the top of the rear spindle move inward I can pull the tire in and out. It is what it is. If I ever drive this out of state to somewhere like LS fest it would be fun changing a tire.

20230619_111603.jpg

20230619_111609.jpg

20230619_111618.jpg

20230619_115055.jpg

If you lift the truck higher can you continue you roll it under the spindle so that it's horizonal with the ground?

If you lift the truck higher can you continue you roll it under the spindle so that it's horizonal with the ground?
I had the truck high enough the wheel was still off the ground. The problem is there is so much offset the inside of the wheel is hitting the upper ball joint. I have a feeling once this thing has axles in it it's going to be a real b**** to get the rear tires off. Might just have to unbolt a bunch of the rear suspension to do it.

Glad I checked this because now I think I'm going to make the rear wheel wells removable. Just makes it easier to grab that tire from the top side. The way I'm going to build the wheel wells will be very simple to do.

I'm going to build my exhaust similar to this sand rail setup. Although the wastegate will be done a lot different. That is a poor design at 90°.

Screenshot_20230618_142313_Gallery.jpg

Small little piece of cold rolled steel responded very well to the torch. I might have to have my big logo cut out of some cold roll so I can blue it. Really like the look. Tried the same size with a piece of hot roll and it did not respond well.

20230623_085411.jpg

How much for one ?
Never thought about selling these. Had just a few made for another project I am working on. Keeping me away from the truck for a week or two. It is turning out amazing. It is cool enough I will do a separate thread on it. Can't post anything yet because it is a gift. 

Back