1964 Dodge A-100 Hot rod sort of rat rod build thread.

Chris from Wavetrack explaining how that rear diff works. Dang that thing is so cool!! I think I will pass on the turning brake.  :deal: :doh:

This is very similar to the TruTrac.  They have a video with animation that shows how it works.

I can't find them on my phone, but I found a number of LS valve covers that had the same script writing saying corvette.   They looked similar to this.  

I also found adapters for old valve covers to fit LS heads.  I thought all SBC VC's were the same until the newer center bolt ones....  so I dunno... 

Screenshot_20230710_183016_Samsung Internet.jpg

33 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

This is very similar to the TruTrac.  They have a video with animation that shows how it works.

That was cool. Some similarities but no side loading washers or plates like the wavetrack. Interesting stuff. Guess I at least need a line lock on the truck. 

And JMHO, but with that intake they should be a little more modern looking.  If you put the old fuelie I take on it (converted to efi of course) the I would go with the finned VC's.  

And I LOVE the remote coil idea.  

And JMHO, but with that intake they should be a little more modern looking.  If you put the old fuelie I take on it (converted to efi of course) the I would go with the finned VC's.  

And I LOVE the remote coil idea.  
Good point. Tomorrow I will throw the newer style smoothies on there and take a look. Maybe do a reverse dimple die panel that bolts on the face of the valve cover. This thing is going to get a bunch of crazy metal work in the back with a lot of dimple die.

Operation turbo exhaust phase 1 complete. I decided to go with two and a half inch instead of 3 in. Also had the wrong style bellows. Had post turbo instead of pre-turbo bellows and ordered the right ones today. Nice long run going up to the turbo so now I can lay a tube way over for the wastegate. Most likely get away with a 45 mm instead of a 50. Now I need to make sure I cut these off at the right spot after a day's work. Usually it is pretty hard to merge two u-bends into a turbo flange but I figured out a pretty cool way to do it. Simple 2x4s for my jig in the saw. I'm liking it so far but we will see how it looks.

20230711_112405.jpg

20230711_143410.jpg

20230711_143419.jpg

20230711_143622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some dude on the turbo rustang site marked his with a die in a bucket of water.  I thought it was cleaver AF.  Then all he had to do was follow his line.  

Looks bitchen.  I think if it were me i would have gone with twins simply for the symmetry of it all.....  maybe even those fancy shmancy mirror image turbos...  LOL 

How were the bellows wrong?  They looked right to me.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Some dude on the turbo rustang site marked his with a die in a bucket of water.  I thought it was cleaver AF.  Then all he had to do was follow his line.  

Looks bitchen.  I think if it were me i would have gone with twins simply for the symmetry of it all.....  maybe even those fancy shmancy mirror image turbos...  LOL 

How were the bellows wrong?  They looked right to me.  
So I  bought these to start with. Says right in the description twice for forced induction applications. One of the guys in the shop questioned it so I call Vibrant today. They said no bueno and only after the turbo application. Not pre turbo with that much heat. I had ordered these in 3". That was going to be on the big side but the turbo is pretty small so I was going  to run them. With the re-order I decided to go 2.5 inch and ordered  the correct ones which are these.  Apparently much more robust and better suited for pre turbo heat. As far as twins I was looking at cost mostly. Single turbo is more than enough at this power level. Shoot if you look back early in this thread I wanted to run 4 baby turbos. What a plumbing nightmare that would have been. lol. 

Phase 2 complete. I moved those O2 sensors back just a little so I can put any valve cover on the motor I want. I think I'm going to just get a basic aluminum valve cover and then have little rusty wagon plasma cut. Then Mount that lettering floating on top of the valve cover with some spacers. Paint it bronze to contrast the black on the engine.

20230712_104106.jpg

20230712_104118.jpg

20230712_112805.jpg

20230712_134005.jpg

20230712_150322.jpg

20230712_150330.jpg

20230712_150958.jpg

Fwiw, everyone I've seen with pre turbo O2 have had issues.  IMO, they must go downstream.  

We tune these cars all day long. My guy told me where to put them. I will verify.  Might be because my exhaust is going to be very short!

All he told me was in a short piece of straight pipe and not a curve. He said this location would be ok. 

Building of the Deberti Van. Thing is wicked cool. Motor looks like fun to work on. I wonder how thick the steel sheet floor panels are.

Our exhaust tubing Bender probably weighs 3,000 lb. Perfect for an anchor to raise the truck and suck the suspension down tight. The rubber bumper at the top of the strut and also the internal airbag bumper did not crush near as much as I thought they would. I am also switching back to a regular bumper on the compression side. One of the guys in the shop said if you run one of those hard energy suspension ones they will just break.

20230713_113157.jpg

So with only 2.2 in of travel and also less compression than what I anticipated it looks like if I can get the seat mounted this low I will have four inches of head clearance. Super happy with that. That is in the upright position of the seat. We have started installing the newer style flaming River electric power steering units so I am robbing our old epas display unit for this truck. Mopar guys will go nuts with my Chevy logo on the steering wheel. :guns: I figured I would need to cut out that big nasty air box under the dash and that is correct. Should be able to come directly out of the spline in the back with a long u-joint into my custom chain drive unit. I was thinking raising the seat I would need to raise the floor but I have long legs and it feels perfect. This is going to be such a mega job to do all the metal work to get this cab the way I want it. I've been staring at it for many months and still don't quite know how to do all of it up here.

20230713_135423.jpg

20230713_135428.jpg

20230713_135435.jpg

20230713_140821.jpg

20230713_140838.jpg

20230713_140828.jpg

20230713_140846.jpg

20230713_140856.jpg

17 hours ago, onanysunday said:

Building of the Deberti Van. Thing is wicked cool. Motor looks like fun to work on. I wonder how thick the steel sheet floor panels are.

When these guys were in Bakersfield, they were THE place to go from Honda Drag Cars with custom fiberglass, TRENDZ billet accessories and my favorite Madera Brothers Sand Cars!

Back