What bike made the biggest impression on you?

The 1979 Honda cr250.  Even though I raced mini bikes early in my life, dad bought me a 79 250, and I really experienced racing and riding the big bikes at age 14. The feel and power of that bike was so stimulating; I had everything at the twist of that throttle.  My friend Rick(ama pro) and I each had one, and we built so many tracks out in Proctor Valley and all we did was load up bikes in his truck every Saturday and Sunday morning and was on the tracks by 7 am.  I really learned how to ride on that bike.  My favorite bike I ever had. 
View attachment 1608
Nothing like jumping up to a full size bike.  The good old days when all your focus is going out to ride again.  

I got a 1978 CR250 when I was around 14 as well, still in Junior high.  This is the first bike I was amble to climb Jawbone Hill climb.  This pic was taken in Kennedy Meadows around 1983 or so.

View attachment 1652
Catching some nice air!  Nothing like the rush of making that huge climb for the first time.  

1982 YZ80, with no muffler, black oil all over my pants every time i rode it!!

Your mom must have loved it when you rode.  I know my mom would have made me wear the same pants over and over...lol.

Land rocket!  Didn't that bike hold the top speed for that year?  
I think it did. It climbed over 120 like it was just getting warmed up. I was making a banzai run to Havasu early in the am and while on Rice Road the wind kicked up... I was ~145 and it literally picked me up and set me down in the left lane... had the morning wind been blowing in the other direction, well, it wouldn't have been pretty. Damn that bike was fast and smooth.

I think it did. It climbed over 120 like it was just getting warmed up. I was making a banzai run to Havasu early in the am and while on Rice Road the wind kicked up... I was ~145 and it literally picked me up and set me down in the left lane... had the morning wind been blowing in the other direction, well, it wouldn't have been pretty. Damn that bike was fast and smooth.
Banzai run for sure!  That'll get the jucies flowing.  

I bought a Suzuki GT 750 from a neighbor when I was about 19

Once the engine warmed up it was like sitting on a damn rocket ,so much fun....
Never lost my soft spot for Two strokes.

3CC544A7-6E33-43F4-B16E-E875797CACE8.jpeg

I bought a Suzuki GT 750 from a neighbor when I was about 19

Once the engine warmed up it was like sitting on a damn rocket ,so much fun....
Never lost my soft spot for Two strokes.

View attachment 1820

Last edited by a moderator:
First liquid cooled bike for harley.  That fat tire was an eye catcher too.
The engine and trans are actually made by Porsche.  The Harley guys make fun of it, till I blow by em like they are stating still.  It pulls like a Effing night train...

Awesome thread. I have owned a lot of different bikes but there are two. First would be a Yamaha IT400.  Converted mine and it ran on methanol. It was a beast. Carb would get frost on it when running hard. Only bike I had that was faster was a built KX500. That bike had supposedly been clocked at 126 mph. Not sure if I ever believed it but it was almost scary to ride. Spit me off at the dunes one time and tore the rear fender off. Looked up and one side of my goggles were filled with sand. 

it400.jpg

Second would be my KTM 2001 400 exc. Had that bike 20 years now and it has been awesome. Lots of fun miles. 12 years ago I did a Thumper racing 477 kit with a 525 cam. It is actually up for sale right now and will be hard to let go.

20210410_190226.jpg

I got my first motorcycle when I was 8 and it's been a great ride ever since.

If I could ever find a 1975 Kawasaki MV-1 /KV75 I'd be all over it.

Since, I would have to say for dirt, couldn't get any better than my last CFR450R.  I had a lot of work done that that and it was just a beast.  I really miss it.

For street, I really miss my SV-1000S.  I had a lot of work done to that.  Took it to 170MPH and had 3,000 left till redline.  I'm good with that.  But that bike was an extension of my body.  It just fit me.  I really liked my Ducati Hypermoto 1100.  Great bike, lots of fun.  It made me a believer that a good Italian bike was worth every penny.  Way better quality over Japanese bikes.

Still have my Harley.  It's nice.  Great ride, comfortable.  It just doesn't give me that fix that I miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg

Because of that, I wanted a dirt bike bad. I had a bicycle that I would jump over and off anything. After one particularly large jump we made in the neighborhood, I was told I would never get a dirt bike because I would kill myself. I wasn't even allowed to hang out with the kids who had one in fear I might ride it. Hell after the big jump where I broke my bike my next bike wasn't even a BMX bike so I wouldn't jump any more.  Yeah I broke that one and both of my sisters bikes as well.

Was even sent to live with my dad in San Diego because I had built this small maybe 16" high jump and was seeing if I could jump over both of my little sisters when my mom walked out and I was mid-air.  She yelled at me for an hour then yelled at them for laying down in the street and letting me do it even though they were off to the side after all it was just a practice jump. 

I'd love to own a nicely set up XR650R, I miss desert trail riding, this would be my choice in that terrain all day long.. No Huge lights though...night time is for sitting at the camp fire :lol:  

maxresdefault.jpg

1990 CR500 with a 12 paddle. 5th gear wheelies, riding Glamis at midnight with no head light, ah yes, good old times. Still riding, just on a Harley now.

64fbd9_4d09793ff8c541dfb973cf502142e54a_mv2.jpg

First started riding on a xr100 when i was 12.  I can say thanks to that bike and my dad getting me into riding i caught the "bug".  A couple years later i bought a 2003 CR125 when i was 14 which was an awesome bike and really started to get into riding more.  

In 2009 i bought my CRF450 which i still have and has been the best bike ive ever ridden.  The amount of power still amazes me and it is just as good to me as a new bike would be.   

Back