Losing a good friend. Taps to Coobie.

Saw this last night of Robs book of faces. Still in disbelief, my other left-handed brother Matt (We had a thing both left-handed and Matts) A lot of firsts for me with him, almost went flying into the canal, first buggy ride (purple car) bringing his gun home from a Wash11 desert storm party, sitting at campfire hearing his story of how some tweaker almost beat his brains out. He was the only police officer ive ever met that didnt look or talk down to me because Im stoner. So sad and angry. Feel for Hunter and his family. You never know what someone is going through. You will be missed "lefty" :cry:

This is so sad..I had to read the initial post about 4 times and look at the name continuously like WHAT????
I didn't know him personally, just from this site!
Goes to show you never really know what is going on inside someone's head.
RIP Coobie, I feel bad for his family and close friends!

Gotta remeber the good times.
We partied at his place one New Years Eve. Rode 70s all over Blossom Valley (even got pulled over by Sheriff) then I proceeded to puke cheese and pepperoni all over my truck interior at the end.

I think it was the time Jen broke her shoulder?

Matt and I were hanging out in the dunes with her, waiting for someone to come back with a sand car or something? I can't recall all the details, it was a LONG time ago.

But I remember the story he told me, just sitting there in the sand...

He had gotten in a fight (while on duty) and the guy was kicking his ass. The guy finally got a knock down punch in, and while Coob was laying there bleeding, the guy went and found a brick.

He looked Coob dead in the eye, and told him, I'm gonna kill your mother fuckin ass.

He brought down the brick, Coob said he just Barely had the energy to turn his head, and the brick hit the side of his head, and not his face.

The guy ran off, and Coob layed there waiting to die.

It's hard to believe he fought though that, only to end up taking his own life.

RIP bud. You'll be missed.

😞

He had gotten in a fight (while on duty) and the guy was kicking his ass. The guy finally got a knock down punch in, and while Coob was laying there bleeding, the guy went and found a brick.
He looked Coob dead in the eye, and told him, I'm gonna kill your mother fuckin ass.
He brought down the brick, Coob said he just Barely had the energy to turn his head, and the brick hit the side of his head, and not his face.
The guy ran off, and Coob layed there waiting to die.
Yep. I've heard that story from him. Overhead helicopter had some video footage of it.

Last time I hung out with Coobie was in wash 22 for an event. 2019 I believe. He was life flighted out after wadding up on his quad. Enjoyed the time leading up to that terrible day. Him and I were one of the first in camp with Sndsamplr. We loaded his truck 2 or 3 times with trash from the washes in some of the worst wind we've seen. Talked with him a few times since.

Lots of Matt's on this site. My phone is riddled with mattGD, GDMatt, Matt Glamis, Matt Coobie Glamis Matt greego, etc. Using my truck to call any one of these Matt's was always funny as it defaulted to Matt Coobie. More times than not, he would answer and I would go "ah Coobie, got the wrong one again" We would catch up for a bit and go on with our days.

RIP Coobie.

Just as others have mentioned, I just talked to him and had be texting. I knew times were hard but I told him the world was a lot better with him in it. Lots of good times and memories with Matt. It's just so meaningless and sad.

I hope life watches over Hunter. He's a great kid with a bright future.

Chummin, just want to say I know exactly what you are going through. Not that this helps, because nothing does. I am many states away and know none of you personally, but I bought a radio from him recently. I lost my best friend a few years ago in the same fashion. I stopped it the first time. Long story short: I knew things were bad. He stopped responding. I had to piss him off to get a response. I drove to a different state and grabbed him. Only thing that worked was to get him to come back to my place to pet a wild deer that lived with me. (He loved animals as much as me) He always promised he would not end it on my property. He was a man of his word. He went back to his brother's and then his dad's. I kinda lost touch. Until that phone call. I was mad at him and disappointed in myself. End of story. Hope y'all can heal over time.

Back