Would you miss the season waiting for parts or make a Big compromise to make it anyway ??

If your car is modular I would put in the 2D and not not miss another season you said your not getting any younger, and from my personal experince with not getting any younger and the health issues that start popping up you never know when it may be your last or very limited season just my .02

I’m in the same situation, ordered my S4 at the end of March. Doesn’t look like I’ll have it this season. 😢 So it’s time to pack the cooler, find an open seat and enjoy the ride this season!🍻

I’m in the same situation, ordered my S4 at the end of March. Doesn’t look like I’ll have it this season. 😢 So it’s time to pack the cooler, find an open seat and enjoy the ride this season!🍻
What kind of beer do you drink?

I may have an open seat in my SU mid engine or the Honda Talon depending on what type of beer. 
😉

Because I always love to do things the more expensive and hard way, I would go 2D. As much as I love the dunes there is no chance I would miss another season  or just ride shotgun. You never know what this life is gonna bring you. No reason to miss out when you have the option

I missed last all of last year as I bought a new house on 3 acres so between renovations and all the property work as it was a lot of woods and over grown brush it was just not in the cards for me to just spend money to have all my stuff sit in storage.as bad as it was  to think I will miss all the fun with friends turns out due to covid thay didn't go as much and then BAM season was over and I was so busy with everything I really didn't miss it.now here we are with covid still among us and crap closing down and im still busy on the house I may not go this season either im still up in the air about it.2 years in a row seems hard to do but I also live in nj so its a little harder for me.sounds like swapping trans's is some work.glamis is not going anyplace and with 2 years of buildup I think the 22 season will be epic.but if the swap is not bad then do it !

Also, I think Lincster has a wide gear for sale. 
LOL.  I did.

The fab work to change over to my S4 was going to be ALOT more than originally thought according to Kevin McMullen.

Not willing to spend that kind of coin on it.

So I bought spare parts for the Fortin and I am going to continue to rock it!!!!!  LOL.

I can buy alot of spare parts for the cost of doing the switch.  The spare parts are sitting in my garage and Kevin can crank out a rebuild in 1 day.  So I won't miss any trips.  🙂

I was going to say, I have my S4 for sale, but it is already spoken for, once R&Ps actually come in.  Which is going to be a while according to Weddle.

I would 100% buy another toy (Rzr, X3, KRX) and just rock it while you wait.  Sometimes trying something new is fun in its own way.  When the trans is done do the install and then go enjoy the car.  Sell off the sxs for 10k more then paid for it (At least thats what all the boat people try and do)

So here is the scenario ... 

I re-did my sand car over the 2020  season, because I just was not going for that season - too many hassles living in LA county etc.

The build is up in Sandrail tech. I put tons of time in the car and I want it out for Halloween.  The problem is I don't have a Trans ... and the chance of getting one is nearly impossible - yes I thought twice about pulling the trigger on a 21K trans .. But I cannot afford it right now.)  I had an S4 lined up early on, and well lets say  I waited and waited, and that fell through. 

So I ordered an S4 and It looks like March or April before I get it if I am lucky, and None seem available.  there is a huge list  ...

So do I miss the season - that makes 2 seasons in a row And I am not getting any younger LOL 

I am not buying "golf cart" right now, and I cannot afford to just buy a stand-in car like I have done in the past (thanks 2020)

I have a 2D available to me BUT  I do have some relatively serious HP and very light (2000lb) car  - But I can turn down the boost ...hmm

So do I put the 2D in (my car is Very mdular the way I designed it the work is minimal ...and make the season or blow the season off and live stressed out for the year?

I am not sold on the idea but I don't see how I lose by doing the 2D for the season even if I trim the power???

What do you think??
Normally I'd say miss the season and do it right.  But having missed last season that's tough.  I know you're anti-"golf cart" and said you won't buy one, but have you actually duned an X3 or TurboS?  What do you do in the Glamis off-season?  Would you get use out of it doing dirt things the entire other half of the year, or do you have other hobbies for the off-season?  You know the cars I have/had and I still really enjoy SxSs.  I put it like this, duning the Funco is more like road racing my Z06 was.  Duning the SxSs is more like going to the go-cart track with your buddies.  Are they the same thing? Hell no.  Are you smiling ear to ear either way?  Yup.  

I would 100% buy another toy (Rzr, X3, KRX) and just rock it while you wait.  Sometimes trying something new is fun in its own way.  When the trans is done do the install and then go enjoy the car.  Sell off the sxs for 10k more then paid for it (At least thats what all the boat people try and do)
I tend to agree, but by the time he'd be selling it the market will have cooled off and he'll lose $.  Of course, so far there is no sign of the insanity slowing down.  However, I suspect once he actually gets a good Turbo S or X3 and dunes it or better yet does some dirt trips he'll just want to keep it. 😉

-TJ

Normally I'd say miss the season and do it right.  But having missed last season that's tough.  I know you're anti-"golf cart" and said you won't buy one, but have you actually duned an X3 or TurboS?  What do you do in the Glamis off-season?  Would you get use out of it doing dirt things the entire other half of the year, or do you have other hobbies for the off-season?  You know the cars I have/had and I still really enjoy SxSs.  I put it like this, duning the Funco is more like road racing my Z06 was.  Duning the SxSs is more like going to the go-cart track with your buddies.  Are they the same thing? Hell no.  Are you smiling ear to ear either way?  Yup.  

I tend to agree, but by the time he'd be selling it the market will have cooled off and he'll lose $.  Of course, so far there is no sign of the insanity slowing down.  However, I suspect once he actually gets a good Turbo S or X3 and dunes it or better yet does some dirt trips he'll just want to keep it. 😉

-TJ
I have owned a couple "Golf Carts" Albeit nothing past the RZR 900, and for trails and the off-season they are great. I have driven a Canned Ham and well market is too hot right now - I am sure the minute I buy one it will tank  - or the Speed will finally ship ... and yeah I am waiting for that one ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned a couple "Golf Carts" Albeit nothing past the RZR 900, and for trails and the off-season they are great. I have driven a Canned Ham and well market is too hot right now - I am sure the minute I buy one it will tank  - or the Speed will finally ship ... and yeah I am waiting for that one ...
Fair 'nough.  I can say, having a "built" XP900 (big-bore, King shocks, blah blah) before and having "just" a non-S XP Turbo now it's a night and day difference.  But I'm also waiting on a Speed before getting another cart. 😉

-TJ

What ever you do you better get to getting or you will be sitting on the side line saying should of could of would of been nice. 

So unless a unicorn magically appears on the mountain top by this weekend it's time to Crap or get off the pot, And by unicorn I mean your SPEED car or a great deal on a used SxS that a friend is unloading for a reasonable price, but your saying that wont scratch the itch so your only question is. 2D or not 2D that is the question.

2D and let it be if you pop it's cherry your done, if your new trans show's your done if you keep reading this your done.  So get to getting it on already or tap out

200.gif

This is for you to @Mac

Here are my thoughts. Buy the Albins 5 speed with shifter for $15k. That's a really good deal.

For those advocating to use a 2D for now and just dial the engine down, it's not really hp that kills a 2D, it's vehicle weight and drivetrain load. I have a 4 seater that weighs 2500lbs empty with a 2D in it. My engine is a V8 that produces probably 300hp at the crank on a good day. It gets around ok, but in the past it ate main shaft bearings like a fat kid eats M&Ms. Once, it was only 6 days in between trips to the trans shop, so it wasn't high hp that did it. The theory was, with 4 people in it, it actually weighed between 3200 and 3300 lbs, between the weight, engine torque and lugging the engine too much (my fault) that was why it ate them.

If I'm not mistaken, an Albins 5 speed is about the best you can get (aside from random defective parts) and $15k is a great deal with the shifter. That's my vote. During this covid pricing period, I'm sure people are asking $11 - 14K for an S4, so the price difference is well worth it.

What kind of beer do you drink?

I may have an open seat in my SU mid engine or the Honda Talon depending on what type of beer. 
😉
How about Coors Light or a good old Banquet 😉

What that get me a seat?  When I don't feel like driving of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Back