Would you miss the season waiting for parts or make a Big compromise to make it anyway ??

Fullthrottleguy

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
So here is the scenario ... 

I re-did my sand car over the 2020  season, because I just was not going for that season - too many hassles living in LA county etc.

The build is up in Sandrail tech. I put tons of time in the car and I want it out for Halloween.  The problem is I don't have a Trans ... and the chance of getting one is nearly impossible - yes I thought twice about pulling the trigger on a 21K trans .. But I cannot afford it right now.)  I had an S4 lined up early on, and well lets say  I waited and waited, and that fell through. 

So I ordered an S4 and It looks like March or April before I get it if I am lucky, and None seem available.  there is a huge list  ...

So do I miss the season - that makes 2 seasons in a row And I am not getting any younger LOL 

I am not buying "golf cart" right now, and I cannot afford to just buy a stand-in car like I have done in the past (thanks 2020)

I have a 2D available to me BUT  I do have some relatively serious HP and very light (2000lb) car  - But I can turn down the boost ...hmm

So do I put the 2D in (my car is Very mdular the way I designed it the work is minimal ...and make the season or blow the season off and live stressed out for the year?

I am not sold on the idea but I don't see how I lose by doing the 2D for the season even if I trim the power???

What do you think??

Last edited by a moderator:
We have similar situations and I am having the same internal battle.  A spare car is what I'm thinking about but I won't pay the current price just to have a car this season. 

I am still optimistic that things will come together for me, but reality is it won't be for November, December and maybe into January. 

Still no guarantee and with that the car search still goes on. 

Not going to buy a sxs new or used. Just not what I want or will settle for. 

How far a long is your rebuild? Is the frame already powder coated for the s4? If that's the case its a bigger cost difference than anticipated.

If it were me and I was confident that I would not turn the 2D into worthless pile of aluminum and steel, I would do it.  I would have to be pretty confident that I could keep the value 2D.  

You said the chassis is modular, so a swap from S4 to 2D and then back to S4 is not overly complicated, and you have the 2D? Then run the 2D for the season.

As as far as concerns of hurting the 2D  due to too much power. There are things you can do to fix that. Turn down the boost as you mentioned and use self control. You control the throttle pedal. If cable, limit the throw, if FBW then go into the computer and control how much you can open it up. Or have your engine tuner go into the computer and tune it down. 

It seems if you want to go to the desert you have an option, but it’s just how bad do you really want to go? 

missed last season due to parts delays, and will miss this season as well. no big deal to me. glamis is not a priority in my life right now. maybe 2022.. 🤷‍♂️

Could get something fun like those new 3 wheelers with 450cc motors. Or a quad just to put around. Get over to the flagpole in Nov. Sell it down the road. Heck knowing this forum you probably know people that would let you borrow a quad. 

Mention that route just because the cost is so low compared to the fancy sandcars you guys rock!! 

Also mention that route because my bike was down for 2 seasons and I borrow a quad. Was a lot of fun. 400ex baby!!! Had that sucker held wide open it felt like i was getting after it!! Even though just keeping pace with the group. Under powered vehicles have their own special charm. 

Id toss the 2d into it and drive it easier.I know if i blew my 091 and couldnt get parts id probably toss what i can get if i was desperate and change driving style.Or i could just wipe the dust off my cr500 and ride it.

I don’t buy ripe bananas!

I have an SU sand pro 2 Mid engine that I might sell because I’m having so much fun with a Honda Talon that I bought.
My point is that you don’t always have to have the best because there will always be someone else that has better, eventually. 
Have fun with what you’ve got. 
The season you miss may be your last!

I missed most of last season and it hurts. If i was in your shoes I would run the 2d and run easy. You don’t have to break stuff to have fun. But of course, even if you miss it, life goes on. 

IIRC the S4 is like 3/4" taller. I should remember because I did the swap. lol. What about axle angle, axles, cvs, etc? Seems like a ton of work going back and forth between trans. But I have done some crazy things to get out in the dunes.  I broke my 2d 5 times so don't ask me about that! Sucks you can't get parts.

You said the chassis is modular, so a swap from S4 to 2D and then back to S4 is not overly complicated, and you have the 2D? Then run the 2D for the season.

As as far as concerns of hurting the 2D  due to too much power. There are things you can do to fix that. Turn down the boost as you mentioned and use self control. You control the throttle pedal. If cable, limit the throw, if FBW then go into the computer and control how much you can open it up. Or have your engine tuner go into the computer and tune it down. 

It seems if you want to go to the desert you have an option, but it’s just how bad do you really want to go? 

and Yeah with Holley I can set the rev limiter down, reduce ignition timing - do a lot to help the 2D 

How far a long is your rebuild? Is the frame already powder coated for the s4? If that's the case its a bigger cost difference than anticipated.
I think the work to put the 2D in is not bad -no Powder coat cut up

Might be able to get you a fresh pbs my buddy has a spare 
I AM interested - Please let me know

Could get something fun like those new 3 wheelers with 450cc motors. Or a quad just to put around. Get over to the flagpole in Nov. Sell it down the road. Heck knowing this forum you probably know people that would let you borrow a quad. 

Mention that route just because the cost is so low compared to the fancy sandcars you guys rock!! 

Also mention that route because my bike was down for 2 seasons and I borrow a quad. Was a lot of fun. 400ex baby!!! Had that sucker held wide open it felt like i was getting after it!! Even though just keeping pace with the group. Under powered vehicles have their own special charm. 
4 back operations ... My 2 wheeler and quad days qre over unfortunately

IIRC the S4 is like 3/4" taller. I should remember because I did the swap. lol. What about axle angle, axles, cvs, etc? Seems like a ton of work going back and forth between trans. But I have done some crazy things to get out in the dunes.  I broke my 2d 5 times so don't ask me about that! Sucks you can't get parts.
I am really lucky angle and clearance wise. we redid the back half so I could go Weddle S4, PBS (if I had to  - that how I can fit the 2d since its nearly identical fit wise) and a Fortin. I can also do an S4D, but i dis not make extra the motor mounts to fit abig clutch bellhousing - so its more work

I also Have a set of 2D clutch disks  - slightly worn but good to go

I went ahead today in anticipation and made new brackets for a ProAm shifter I have and modded to console to accommodate the H pattern

65074734813__000301DD-5F3B-48F9-B2A3-1969293A3982.jpeg65074735545__DEC30422-C67F-443B-97BE-80440B31C50A.jpeg

Back