WildcatXX

If you let me run the Arctic Cat off road div, here is what I would do. BTW they would fire me for thinking outside the  Minnesota bubble in a month! 
        As bad as dealing with the Minnesota Mafia was, they have systematically purged almost all of them, and the stupidity has been imported from Augusta,

Georgia, the base of EZ-Go. I never dealt with bigger idiots in almost 40 years of business, including several other industries.

First their product line up is horrible. They got ride if the second best selling UTV, in their line up, the Havoc. It was a cross between sport/utility which is a fast growing segment. Both Polaris and Can Am are fully invested in this market. But Arctic Cat kept the Prowler which at best is a EZGO meets Bad Boy Buggy golf cart made for getting you to the ice fishing hole. BTW Textron owns all three of the brands mentioned! 

Yes the Prowler has it’s place, but you need more depth to be in this market.

Being the second best selling unit is not saying much when you aren't selling anything. Yes, it's that bad.  The Havoc was a huge flop, BTW. It was a Stampede with longer arms, and a bit more HP. The Stampede was too heavy a platform to start with, and was a bench seat machine. Instead of reworking the cab, they just removed the bench seat, and bolted in a couple bucket seats. This made the seating position extremely awkward, too high, and had terrible leg room. The heat infiltrating the firewall was a big problem. And at rollout they had huge clutch problems, thanks again to the disaster that is Team Industries.  We were hoping for a General competitor, and it was not even a half-assed attempt.  The Prowler,  which should have had a different name, is meant to compete with the Mules, Gators, and Kubotas, and that market is bigger than you think. Look at the market share chart below. It should have had a Weber, as well, but they went with the Chi-Com Chery engine, because it is quiet, and it's worth noting that Kawasaki and Deere also use it.

Before introducing any more product I would have my Reps go back and beg and scrap to get dealers to sign back up with Arctic Cat. We would not force you to commit to buying machines that do not fit your market or region. We would honor and support dealer claims. Work on keeping a 10% overage on all parts for repairs & warranty claims. We would give you volume discounts and reward our dealers with a star program that promotes and features top dealers. We would also want to be at dealers with competing brands. I don’t want a XX next to a golf cart or a John Deere Gator.

Not many dealers would be foolish enough to take another bite of that poison apple.

I would commit to marketing / advertising programming that actually promotes the the products. Both online and boots on the ground. 

Now back to the sport market. I’d leave most of the XX alone to start with. The platform is great for the segment it’s in. I think allot of the negativity or thoughts of not being Turbo’ed is due to lack of knowledge or understanding. Not saying a turbo vs would not be an improvement, but all the other brands have N/A cars and they do not seem to get the backlash the XX got for not being Turbo’ed and those cars are selling. Plus you would have to know what contracts are in place and for how long, before changes could be made to the XX. 

What I would do is offer a better trim and options package that follows the current market. The base trim is perfect, as is at it brings customers in at great $20K price point. The second trim I would add a comfort and color package. Offer it in two color choices (decal kits) but offer it with the roof, upgraded seats, storage box etc. and bump the price point up $2K. Then on my top trim you would get the 2nd trim features, but you get the Garmin Connection system and a adjustable smart Shock system. Again maybe bump the price another $2500. This would still keep you in the Talon special edition trim price range.  If they could prove the XX does have a market for a RC edition with, you could release RC trim that comes with bumpers, high clearance front a-arms, winch, better skids.

Only the EZ-Go morons are stupid enough to say there is not enough market for a turbo, and four-seater.  It is complete bullCrap.

Long term Id look to phase out the Yamaha engine and explore using the engine that was in the Havoc. It was a Weber 2 cylinder engine. At a 1000cc produced 100hp, but have been told that engine was detuned and could easily do 130 hp NA. Turbo it and you could easily be in RZR turbo power range. The Weber engine is a German designed engine that is big in the marine industry, and used on tenders. It’s designed for harsh environments. The guys who know these engines speak highly of them and guess what? Textron bought Weber! They are now called Textron Motors. Plus being that it was in the Havoc, it’s been CARB certified before for a UTV. Being a 2 cylinder brings back the torque the Yamaha lacks and can be run at 6-7000 rpms. Like the new Speed engine the Weber has features like press in cylinder sleeves. This is a motor I’d look to put in all the Arctic Cat UTV line up. 

We were hoping they would leverage Weber, but they failed on that count, too.

I am too lazy, and burned out on the company to go into much detail, after suffering almost ten years of their catastrophic leadership, but have made some notes above.  Also, I still receive dealer survey results, and the dealer responses are cataclysmic. Here's a market share chart.

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 9.21.55 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am too lazy, and burned out on the company to go into much detail, after suffering almost ten years of their catastrophic leadership, but have made some notes above.  Also, I still receive dealer survey results, and the dealer responses are cataclysmic. Here's a market share chart.

View attachment 11468
I would of thought BRP had a bigger market share in the SXS market.  Polaris is still the top dog.  

I would of thought BRP had a bigger market share in the SXS market.  Polaris is still the top dog.  
It takes a string of successful product introductions to move the meter.

Those graphs end in 2016, maybe that is market share back then?
They have always lagged, but not sure by that much. Unlike automobiles, industry reporting is sketchy in powersports. They didn't even used to report SxS numbers, only ATV. That chart was in the most recent 2021 Q2 results, BTW.

Ahead of Strategic Plan 

Since implementing their strategic plan in 2015 Can-Am has steadily made inroads in the side-by-side market. Management set the goal of doubling Can-Am market share for the North American side-by-side market from approximately 10% to 20% by 2020. They are on track to reach that goal in 2019 instead of the original 2020 target year.

They have always lagged, but not sure by that much. Unlike automobiles, industry reporting is sketchy in powersports. They didn't even used to report SxS numbers, only ATV. That chart was in the most recent 2021 Q2 results, BTW.
I do not think that graph is current.  There is no way BRP only has 10% share of SxS and Arctic Cat has 7%.  Maybe in 2016 which is that last bar of that graph.

The 2022 Arctic Cat XX looks interesting and worth investigating further, but what I worry about in these times is if their factory can supply machines with high quality control that will be reliable after 1000....3000 miles?  I hope @NIKAL can comment on that.

I watched the Can Am X3 2020 launch video today, and was VERY IMPRESSED with the improvements being made to the clutch and the frame, i.e. taking the time to make the very best SxS even better.  Problem is I don't know if I'll have to hide under my bed when I see the list prices. 🙄

@NIKAL Thanks for all your insightful commentary, and I also agree with your "show us the proof!" statement.

I'm going to be watching for reviews and owner feedback on the 2022 XX and X3's as we proceed into 2022.

@NIKAL Thanks for all your insightful commentary, and I also agree with your "show us the proof!" statement.

I'm going to be watching for reviews and owner feedback on the 2022 XX and X3's as we proceed into 2022.
Phoenix7, the 2022 XX is virtually the same as the original 18 which I have. Besides some very minor changes over the years it will be 100% the same experience.

I do not count accessories as changes or updates, that's just fluff....

XX history
2018 original
2019 changes to seats, new rear axle design, bold new colors
2019late-2020 new rear axle design, changes to trans axle gears
2020 changes from yamaha engines started getting the newer GYTR stuff like the YXZ has, bold new colors
2021 just bold new colors
2022 new clutch, bold new colors

Biggest issues the XX has had
2018-2019 lots of blown axles due to poor QC at factory, poor alignment, easy fix
Cooling issue, blown water pumps which led to blown engines. Multiple fixes from bleeder kit (which I have) and expensive billet water pumps
broken trans axle HI/LO or reveres gears, updated 2019. I think the users were shifting on the fly on the gas loaded
mufflers getting plugged up from packing or catalyst debri
engine trans mounts fail quickly

My 18 has only lost one axle, no other issues. I beat the $h!T out of this rig desert, rocks and dunes.

Well being a former dealer you would have the best knowledge on the workings and issues with Textron/Arctic Cat.

It would be great if, A) They put an effort to fix the problems with the off road div. I assume they don’t run the snow sled div the same? Or B) Find a buyer that they could sell the off road div to, and let that company take the XX and support it. 

I’d lIke to hear your thoughts on the Weber engine that was in the Havoc?And your opinion if you think that could have been a good, great or bad option for the XX? A course it would have to have been tuned to equal or beat the Yamaha HP or add a turbo to it. 
The snow division, historically, would get more attention, especially the race department. I used to heckle them about the dirt division being treated like the red-headed step child, and that was pre-EZ-Go.

I think the Weber would likely have been a better choice, especially since I think they were already selling a turbo version for marine(?) applications. I am not a fan of that Yammi motor, plus they lied at the outset by telling us it was turbo ready out of the box. More bullCrap.

As for the market-share chart, here is the response I just received:

Thanks for reaching out.  The chart on page 27 includes a variety of sources that aren’t always updated at the same time so at times it may include older information, but most of the data in the chart reflects information from the 2019 time period.  We think we market share data covering 2020 will be published soon. 

Back