Whole house generator

Nobody has tied there generator into a natural gas supply at their house?
mine is and all the people around here are running natural gas gens a 22kw propane does about 17nw on natural gas. they make kits to run the natural gas. im waiting to hear about someone powering there house off their electric car

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody has tied there generator into a natural gas supply at their house?
My parents bought through costco and their vendor installed a generac, not sure on the kv rating. The install price was outrageous, as much as the generator, but that was a full hands off operation. The installer poured a slab, tied into the panel and natural gas line, delivered and hooked up the generator and transfer switch, etc. Aside from a 12v starter battery going bad, it has been great though a little loud. They live in an area where edison started shutting off the power every time the wind blows and it blows a lot. My only concern with natural gas is a disaster situation like an earthquake where the natural gas is shut off due to leaks or "An abundance of safety". I figure gasoline will be available in that situation in some form. 

Interesting to see folks having good experience with Generac. I was in the OPE business when they first popped up, and let's just say they were... ummmm... less than stellar products. Back then, the guy that ran Generac, Bob Kern(?), pretty much started a "race to the bottom" in the generator business, prompting Onan, Kohler, etc., to follow.

Those of you who do back feeding…. Do you know if a circuit breaker works in “both directions”. Just curious. I just don’t know. My guess is with ac it doesn’t really matter
it matters big time.  If you backfeed into your system you MUST turn off your main breaker. Transformers also work backwards.  So if a lineman is working on the line and you don't turn off your main breaker you will feed a huge power load to the line a man is working on and can suffer bad injurys. 

it matters big time.  If you backfeed into your system you MUST turn off your main breaker. Transformers also work backwards.  So if a lineman is working on the line and you don't turn off your main breaker you will feed a huge power load to the line a man is working on and can suffer bad injurys. 
 X2. If you don’t isolate from the grid by either turning your main breaker off or via an auto transfer switch that does this for you there will be major issues.

1. It’s illegal. As mentioned, you can hurt or kill a lineman trying to restore your power. 
2. When the power comes back on, it is going to fry your generator. 
3. You run the real of risk of a major electrical fire when the power comes back on and you are feeding your panel from multiple sources.

Most panel models have simple and inexpensive lock out kits available. It is just a little plate that only allows you to have either the main breaker or generator breaker on at one time but won’t let you have both on at the same time. 

i dgaf what sdge thinks. These constant power glitches have ruined a washer, fridge and 2 computers. Eff this state and its infrastructure. 
Same here.  Our nice fridge took a dump after a quick outage up here in Julian last year.  Power goes out for a minimum of 3 straight days each fall the 4 years I've lived up here.  6 days straight 3 years ago.

My electrician buddy installed a twist lock cord from my panel that I connect to a Predator 8500.  Runs the whole house.

Always shut off main switch when we connect.

It doesn't cost a ton to at least do a manual transfer switch and small sub-panel.

I think your not understanding what I’m asking. I never meant or talked about the main breaker and back feeding into the grid. Clearly the main needs to be cut if someone was to back feed their house. For various reasons. 

I have back fed my house before “after the main was cut” and did it through a 220 20amp plug I have outside my house. So my question referred to if the 20amp 2 pole breaker was able to trip while power was entering from the load side of the breaker. Although someone did a 60 second search and got an answer. I find it hard to believe that a breaker manufacture would need to put line or load on a breaker that could only be installed one way. If the breaker inherently works both ways then electrical wire is out of the question because if the house load was more then the 20amp breaker it would trip before wires would be subjected to more power then they were rated

Why would you need 220 for generator output?  Very good reasons

one is I have a well that is 220 so it would be required. The other reason is  the main panel has two phases. Half the house is on phase A and the other half is in phase B. Back feeding in a single receptacle would only light up half your circuits 

I shopped around and found a 400amp ATS from Kohler on Craig’s list for $600. This transfers my entire panel over on my home. I didn’t like the smaller dedicated circuit types. Besides my house has a main panel and two sub panels so there was not a way to get circuits from three panels. Besides when we are in “aux” mode we are not turning on heavy consumers. Right now I have a 50 amp twist lock to my generator and later may hard wire 100 amp service. I like the whole house transfer-switch. 
I went “upstream” from my home closer to the street and was able to pick up the panels for my home AND the panel for my shop.

What’s the average cost on that? I have a small 3500 predator and would be great to have as a backup. 
What I had done at my last house is pretty much what DTA outlined. My buddy is 3rd gen sparky, and wired the house when we built it. I already had a 6KW Onan we used during construction, as we couldn't get a temp service. I was looking into transfer switches and he said don't bother, much cheaper this way. Knife switch, sub panel, and a 30 ft piece of SJ coiled up in the garage. 

He did spend some time balancing the load on the gen feed, so the well pump would start without issue.

He did spend some time balancing the load on the gen feed, so the well pump would start without issue.
Thats where it can get a little tricky trying to give advice. Most home owners dont understand how electricity in their home works. Which is totally fine. Again it all comes down to money. If you are trying to save a few bucks, and you dont have a loved one on oxygen, an ATS might not be in the budget. Lots of people just want to save the $400 of food in the fridge from going bad. Or fire up a computer so a kid can finish homework. 

Just to be clear if John reads this i was not making a joke about doing a 60 second google search. I worked as a commercial and residential electrician back in the 90s. I was genuinely curious. Will have to double check but i believe its just a standard 50a 2 pole breaker that is "back feeding" the 200a main and 100a subpanel here. It was an interesting question you asked. I always considered a breaker to be directional by design. Until you proposed the back feed question. 

Blurry pic sorry it was the best out of 10 if you can believe that. 

Not sure if you can make out all the dust on the Generator Breaker. They hired a licensed electrician for the job. Looks like he moved the AC wires to a different spot and repurposed that original dusty looking breaker to be back fed. 

20220403_110552.jpg

This is my dead man cable I used in the past. 4 wire 20 amp with a kubota diesel 5500 watt. Worked well but does require shutting down the main.  With patience I found this Koehler on Craigslist  some business doing an upgrade. Bought it from the electrician doing the job. Works perfect. I added a 50 amp twist lock input. In reality I could even reduce it down to run 20 or 30 amp input from a smaller generator. This switch does the whole house and not individuals circuits. 

7BB21615-4093-4C38-B409-276A18DEB872.jpeg

B4DD589C-B5E3-429F-92DE-6B048B5331BC.jpeg

D138E614-A1B7-4B77-AB96-974E2A8365D2.jpeg

55685C89-51D6-4078-84ED-47F0CE5729EC.jpeg

Back