Which 450 quad?

Nice..........But I'd be upgrading the suspension before trying to make it any faster. He's gonna get beat to hell on that thing with the way the dunes are now!
The suspension doesn't need that much improvements, it just needs to be set up for his weight and he needs to push it, unless you are expecting it to ride like a cloud ( Honda) then your spending lots of $$$.  The YFZ's like to be smashed to get a softer ride while the Honda's offer a soft ride but when pushed start to push back.

Well I ended up finding a pretty clean 2013 yfz450r. And for price reference for anyone else’s looking to buy. I paid 5500$ for this. I ordered up a dasa pipe and Fci intake. Still debating on a vortex ecu or just have pep reflash the stock one. 

View attachment 55887
Congrats!  Nice quad. 

The suspension doesn't need that much improvements, it just needs to be set up for his weight and he needs to push it, unless you are expecting it to ride like a cloud ( Honda) then your spending lots of $$$.  The YFZ's like to be smashed to get a softer ride while the Honda's offer a soft ride but when pushed start to push back.
I backed all the compression settings off and took a little spring rate out. We will see this weekend. He’s a strong kid. And he’s used to riding his raptor 250 in the beat up stuff. 

Nice..........But I'd be upgrading the suspension before trying to make it any faster. He's gonna get beat to hell on that thing with the way the dunes are now!
The R’s are setup already with the wider suspension and better shocks. A steering dampener is all it needs, if you’re over 35, but for a younger kid it’ll be perfect. 

Im almost 40 and smash that bike, it’s so much fun. 

Well my son loves the new bike. He was intimidated at first riding around camp. Plus it was super choppy by camp and the suspension is definitely stiff. I backed the rebound all the way out and it helped. Once he got in the dunes he loved the added power and stability. No more sliding down the steep bowls. He was able to power up everything easily. Even started to do wheelies over the rollers into some of the bowls. He grew as a rider a ton this weekend. Thanks for all the advice on what to get from this board. I really appreciate it. 

IMG_5681.MOV

Attachments

Does anyone know anything about which direction you turn the clickers on stock yfz450r shocks? I thought everything all the way out is the softest but this manual I have says otherwise. 

E69442BD-3B85-413E-9C8E-48DC1F3EF4ED.jpeg

So glad to see this topic! My daughter is 12 and ready to move up from the raptor 250. I was debating on what brand of 450 to get, sounds like the YZF 450R fuel injected will be bike of choice.   

So glad to see this topic! My daughter is 12 and ready to move up from the raptor 250. I was debating on what brand of 450 to get, sounds like the YZF 450R fuel injected will be bike of choice.   
I’m very happy with the purchase. Just know if your trailer space is tight. That this bike is much wider and longer than the raptor 250. 

Well I ended up finding a pretty clean 2013 yfz450r. And for price reference for anyone else’s looking to buy. I paid 5500$ for this. I ordered up a dasa pipe and Fci intake. Still debating on a vortex ecu or just have pep reflash the stock one. 

View attachment 55887
Geeeeoooorgeous! Congratulations! Did you keep the Haulers?

Does anyone know anything about which direction you turn the clickers on stock yfz450r shocks? I thought everything all the way out is the softest but this manual I have says otherwise. 

View attachment 56937
I usually softened the compression and increased the rebound dampening for the kids. may need lighter springs but id start there. 

Yes I did. Just got a set of scat trak edges for my other 450. Interested to see how they work and may put a set on the yfz. 
I'm thinking you're gonna like the Haulers better. But if you don't and decide to sell them, write me first please, thanks!

Best Suspension set up.....Squeeze with your legs, relax your hands. Peace

Back