Which 450 quad?

Jtmoney714

Reaction score
My son is ready for a 450 quad for glamis. Which ones and years are the good ones? 

If you can find a KTM450 that would be the best....proven motor, Olins  suspension...

There were lots of Yamaha 450’s at St Anthony this year. I didn’t hear any complaints about them.

Don’t know how old or big your son is but not lots of difference between the YZF450 and 700 Raptor. Really can’t go wrong with either one. I put my son on a Raptor 700 when he was 15. We did the Big 3 kit and that’s it. It runs great and has served him well. Now he is 17 and prefers to drive the SxS 😀😀

Don’t know how old or big your son is but not lots of difference between the YZF450 and 700 Raptor. Really can’t go wrong with either one. I put my son on a Raptor 700 when he was 15. We did the Big 3 kit and that’s it. It runs great and has served him well. Now he is 17 and prefers to drive the SxS 😀😀
He’s 11 but he’s 5’1 115lbs. He rides a raptor 250 now but I can see it’s working it’s ass off to make it up some of the bowls. I figure wider stance and more suspension and hp will really help him. 

He’s 11 but he’s 5’1 115lbs. He rides a raptor 250 now but I can see it’s working it’s ass off to make it up some of the bowls. I figure wider stance and more suspension and hp will really help him. 
Im in the market for a raptor 250 if you’re sellin

My son was on a Honda 450 for a few years and it was very reliable. Sold it and got him a Yamaha Raptor 700. He absolutely loves that quad.

I have one. All black. 08 I believe. My younger one rides it so it just does circles around the kiddie tracks. 
There is one i have my eye on at a clients shop. Just waiting for the owner to decide how much $$ plus is my client has already gone through it so i know its good to go.

thats me on the honda. We all agreed hands down yamaha was the best all around bike. Funny how after publication the editor said otherwise 🙄 mags are bought and paid for dont believe them. I hit the 110’ double at el cajon on both. Yamaha way outperformed the honda in all respects

88C45262-3097-4754-AC6C-90AFEF235E2C.jpeg

I put my daughter on a '08 LTR450R and my son an a '09 YFZ450R both at age of 13 and 12 respectively. They were both on LTZ400s before that. If I'm riding aggressively I prefer the Yamaha, if not I prefer the Zuk as its super plush. Don't really think you can go wrong whichever you choose but your son being that young you may want to consider the Suzuki as its a bit more mild mannered IMO. 

Pick a color or pick the best deal you can find. Any of the 450 class quads will have more than enough power and suspension to dune. The suspension on the YFZ450R and the suzook are maybe a touch better but at your sons level for the foreseeable future, he won't benefit from it. There are no bad bikes till you get into the chinese copies and maybe some of the older polaris cvt quads. 

Yup bought my daughter a 09 YFZ450R About a year ago. I owned a 700 and that’s a great quad, but my daughter is 104lbs…. I can ride it and I’m 170lbs. My 25 year old son loves it, he’s 140lbs.

I miss the torque of the raptor but the YFZ is more low slung, only weighs in at 330lbs and requires no adjustment to the suspension.. it’s a true ‘track bike.’ High compression compared to the Raptor’s. 

I would NEVER own another carbureted quad.. had like 10 of them. The Raptor spoiled me with EFI

I paid $6400 for this beauty.

ABC

4577F2E0-7390-41E8-9FCE-3EC09BFF2CB2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back